Preview of the new Steve Vai record. Available 8/14/2012

Why the hell did he announce it two and a half months before it actually comes out? WTF?

I like the Apple method of announcing: "Here's what we got, you can buy it today". Seems to work pretty well.

Um... really? You might want to check the recent "false advertising" penalties Apple just received here in Australia.

Apple to refund Australians over 'false' iPad 4G | Tablet PC & iPad News | News.com.au | News.com.au

A question - are you a paid shill for Apple? I'm not being sarcastic here, but the amount of time you spend spruiking the "virtues" of Apple are genuinely raising my suspicions.

If not, then fine. But face it, they're just a company out to make a profit. Some of their products are quite good, some are mediocre. Some of their practices are good, some are dubious (the same could be said about any and all others multinationals, of course).

Last edited:
Are you a paid shill against Apple? :) You don't miss a single thread. They must really have stepped on your balls or something.

I challenge you to find a single comment I've ever made which suggests I'm anti-Apple. I've had both good and bad experiences with their products. I find their software good, but their hardware to be unacceptably unreliable - I've just had a motherboard die on my primary Mac Pro, so I'm now running my studio on a long-toothed 08 model, while I pay an outrageous amount for a replacement. This is the 3rd replacement motherboard in five years, whereas in 15 years I have never had to replace a motherboard on a Windows or Linux machine.

To the main topic - I find your level of enthusiasm suspicious - you seem to find the most random reasons to praise Apple in thread discussions. Hence I repeat, are you receiving any consideration from Apple for your behaviour?

Get back on topic please.

I like the new Vai tune a lot. It is straightforward yet that weird slide/whammy detune thing gives it a unique twist. Fretless guitar? Whammy bar? Whammy pedal? Hmmm.

Y'know, Adam, I wondered about that effect too. Specifically, I wondered if it was done with the Axe-Fx II. And if so, how exactly. I wouldn't guess it's a whammy bar. Sounds a little too smooth when it transitions from the pitch drop back into the riff. Could be done in a DAW with editing though if indeed it WAS a whammy bar. Fretless guitar is a possibility too. Sounds cool whatever it is. But I'm secretly hoping it's Fractal related. :)

I found the comic "bin lenny" character on Vai's last record so off-putting I shelved his records. Not everything is a great idea for a Zappa-esque I'm funny and yet deep interpretation.
If you want to slam the guy, especially as he was still alive and wanted at that point, slam him but use his real name... and for #$%&^s sake don't be cute with it.

I love his playing and the new track is good tho.

There's some badass whammy bar work on that track for sure. No chance of anyone replicating it.

Seems more weird than musical. I love Passion and Warfare, this kinda stuff doesn't do it for me.

Seems more weird than musical. I love Passion and Warfare, this kinda stuff doesn't do it for me.

Same here... I wonder if Steve is getting bored with the guitar? at least with this track I mean there is only so much that he can do with it granted he can do more than most. Maybe it's one of those tunes that has to grow on you.

He is just so creative and fearless that he won't flinch about putting something a little "weird" out there. It's not my favorite thing ever but it's amazing that someone can actually do a technique like that and make a piece of music out of it. The guy is truly one of the most creative musicians ever. I can't believe it's been 7 years since the last all studio release.

Back
Top Bottom