Prevent Axe-Fx from becoming default audio device?

laxu

Fractal Fanatic
Whenever I turn on the Axe-Fx, it sets itself as the default audio device in Windows 7, overriding my regular audio interface. Any way I can disable this behavior? I prefer using Axe-Fx via SPDIF and analog outs rather than USB. I use USB only for firmware upgrades and Axe-Edit.

With the Axe-FX connected, right click the volume icon, select Playback devices. Right-click your sound card and set to default device. Should stick this way.

I have done this multiple times, Axe-Fx still always forces itself as the default device. I know how to change back but it's just an annoyance I'd rather not have.

Click on your volume icon in the task bar (bottom right), go to properties, and and you should see a list of sound hardware. Click on the item you want to use, then click set as default. Alternatively, go to sound and hardware in your device manager and do the same.

Raze

Click on your volume icon in the task bar (bottom right), go to properties, and and you should see a list of sound hardware. Click on the item you want to use, then click set as default. Alternatively, go to sound and hardware in your device manager and do the same.

Raze

Like I said, I've done this. It doesn't help. I have set my Echo AudioFire4 as the default sound device. When I turn on the Axe-Fx, it forces itself as the default device, overriding anything I had previously selected. Obviously it should not do this and I don't think I noticed it before FW 10.

Like I said, I've done this. It doesn't help. I have set my Echo AudioFire4 as the default sound device. When I turn on the Axe-Fx, it forces itself as the default device, overriding anything I had previously selected. Obviously it should not do this and I don't think I noticed it before FW 10.

If you never use the Axe FX as a sound device, then why not just disable it in Windows from acting as a sound device ? The setting is accessed in the same way as setting default devices.

What steps do you take after this to use the Echo while the Axe is on? IME with Win7, if you choose the desired default again that's what it will use from then on w/ both devices connected. Disabling the Axe play/record devices is probably a better idea though; that will lower Axe CPU usage by about 4%.

What steps do you take after this to use the Echo while the Axe is on? IME with Win7, if you choose the desired default again that's what it will use from then on w/ both devices connected. Disabling the Axe play/record devices is probably a better idea though; that will lower Axe CPU usage by about 4%.

I simply set the Echo AudioFire as the default audio device. But unfortunately as soon as the Axe-Fx is connected (aka turned on as it's always connected) it changes that. It must be a bug as it's not really expected behavior.

I did suggest disabling the Axe FX as a sound source, did that work ?

There are two things going on, there are default devices and preferred devices. Are you able to set the AudioFire as a preferred device so when that its plugged in it takes over ?

Possibly reinstalling the drivers for the AudioFire may help it take over as preferred device. But if you never use the Axe FX as a sound card, disable it.

It's not a bug-.
I agree... the OS selects the default device. I haven ever had the driver select it and stated so on the "bug" entry the OP opened. It's not a bug. Something in the OP's configuration is caasing it.

I agree... the OS selects the default device. I haven ever had the driver select it and stated so on the "bug" entry the OP opened. It's not a bug. Something in the OP's configuration is caasing it.

AFAIK In earlier versions of Windows a driver when installing could set a preference in the registry for it to take over as a default preferred device. I believe this is not so in Windows 7.

But I agree also it isn't a bug, it's the OS preferences and how they are set or not by the user and recognition of any limitations of the OS.

Back
Top Bottom