Pretty cool article about Neil Schon changing to PRS and using an Axe FX

Henry's reputation proceeds him. It will interesting to see a Floyded PRS. As for the Axe Fx, Neil goes through a ton of gear, so don't expect this to last too long. Back in my amp buying days I knew Gene at Ultrasound kinda well and he was always selling Neil something, I'd bet he's their best customer.

Have you seen his PRS sig model? Its a semi hollow. I already freak out using a bigsby on the old semi-hollow ones.

I imagine PRS will make any guitar for the right price, its just if they mass produce it is the key. They are kinda like Apple. They wait a while until they figure their own way to do it, but most people dont care cause they are so darn purty.

And it's not real well known ..., but Neal and Paul go WAY back .... All the way to Neal's Santana days. After Paul built the infamous Carlos guitar, he built quite a few for Neal too. Back when Neal was playing PRS the first time, he donated most if not all of them back to Paul and a lot of them were featured in a traveling museum exhibit that PRS had ....

Quite cool actually ....

But, I'm sure ( based on that alone ) that Neal could get Paul to build anything he wanted ....

I've got one of these Schon-Style PRS guitars, great guitar. Essentially a PRS-version of the Gibson NS sig guitar with the sustainer.
This required coordination from PRS for the routing etc on the guitar and Gary Brawer for the sustainer/electronics. It would be great if
PRS started mass-producing these things.

Attachments

• DSC_0407.jpg
    DSC_0407.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 86
I've got one of these Schon-Style PRS guitars, great guitar. Essentially a PRS-version of the Gibson NS sig guitar with the sustainer.
This required coordination from PRS for the routing etc on the guitar and Gary Brawer for the sustainer/electronics. It would be great if
PRS started mass-producing these things.

What are the two shallow "dips" right behind the bridge? Tried to zoom in on them and figure it out, but couldn't quite tell what they were. Coil tap switches? Something else?

Neal is a great player and has contributed greatly to the vocabulary of guitar. Glad to see he is getting into Fractal.

Coming from Neil that is a great complement and further solidifies the Axe as a serious sonic tool for guitar. It's really cool that he gives FAS such a great plug.

I thought the PRS trem was a leap forward. Alternately, a seasoned player I knew thought Floyds couldn't compare to Schaller.

What's with these guys turning 50 something and wearing black and boots?

Last edited:
I thought the PRS trem was a leap forward. Alternately, a seasoned player I knew thought Floyds couldn't compare to Schaller.

What's with these guys turning 50 something and wearing black and boots?

I used to think Floyds were so cool, but with my band doing alternate tunings and me not having a roady to hand me a perfectly in tune second and third guitar, I've turned to Tremel-no's and fixed bridges. My PRS CU22 is pretty much my standard guitar now, but ive got that guy hardtailed. I love tremelo's and floyd rose's in the studio, but the second I get in a live show, I forget its there.

Sounds like him and Gibson had a huge battle.

They did. He has had battles with a few companies. Jackson was another that went south.

Remember this?

Shn_white_650.jpg

There is no doubt that Neil is a fantastic, expressive guitar player. Business wise, I am not sure how he is to deal with. Just heard rumors.

-Nate

Back
Top Bottom