Presonus Eris... 5" or 8"?

Roby Rocks

Inspired
Vendor
Hi dudes!
This month I want to change my studio monitors....
Now I have a pair of old Samson Studione 5a (5" speakers).

So, I'm looking for a Monitor with frontal bass-reflex (because I put the monitors on the desk and near the wall... at 5/6 cm from the wall).
My choice goes on PRESONUS ERIS.... but....
What kind of "Eris"?
with 5" or 8" speakers?

8" they cost a lot more than 5".... 470€ vs 260€ !!!!

My room is a normal "bedroom" size... 4.5mx4.5m and it's an attic... so the average height is 1.7m....

EDIT: My room have acoustic isolation, pyramidal foam in every wall, carpets on the floor and cloth on the ceiling.

Last edited:
Since I think you don't have acoustic treatment in your room (and I don't mean pyramidal foam or whatever in that category), 5" is more than enough if you don't want phase issues.

Hi @Diego
yes... my room have acoustic treatment.
acoustic isolation and there are pyramidal foam on every wall,
carpet and cloth.

I add this on the main post ;-)

Last edited:
I’d go for the 5’s and add a bypassable Sub, so you can easily hear with and without the added low end. I went for Scepter s6’s and the t10 for this reason. 8’s can be a bit too much and hard to dial back, plus take up a lot of room on the desk, yet still can’t produce the full low end.

I couldn’t be happier with the sub, and with a foot switch I can bypass and hear with and without, getting a great idea of what is really going on in the mix

They also make a t8 Sub that may be worth looking into

At the volumes you’re talking here, I don’t think low driver size will matter that much so you might as well save the cash. I have the Scepters, and the 8s sound great, but they are larger and you have to account for that in your space.

After comparing, I favored the 8s enough to spend the extra. You should listen to them side by side, if at all possible.

Hi @Diego
yes... my room have acoustic treatment.
acoustic isolation and there are pyramidal foam on every wall,
carpet and cloth.

I add this on the main post ;-)
As I wrote acoustic isolation and foam are NOT acoustic treatment useful to treat a room with that size and measures... you would need bass trap (tuned for you room and acoustic panels made of something which has mass - not foam, but all this should come after an acoustic measurements). DIY can be worse than your actual situation

As I wrote acoustic isolation and foam are NOT acoustic treatment useful to treat a room with that size and measures... you would need bass trap (tuned for you room and acoustic panels made of something which has mass - not foam, but all this should come after an acoustic measurements). DIY can be worse than your actual situation

Proper Helmholtz resonator type bass traps would be quite the expense for a home studio type of setup, and the installation, tuning etc would end up costing as much as the rest of the equipment in the room lol, simply not very practical, especially for someone looking at an Eris budget, IMO

DIY is better than nothing in most cases. An area rug sounds better than a bare concrete floor for example. Wedges in the corners may not be ideal but they do help in most cases, and are an affordable solution. No bedroom sized studio is going to be ideal, but it can be made pretty decent for a modest budget with some DIY, tuning, and buying the best gear for the budget.

Thanks to all...
ok but I don't want to make an acoustic treatment to my room...
I would just like to understand which difference there are between 5" and 8" that justify the cost....
and, with the specs of my room (reported in first post) what is the best solution...

Thanks to all...
I would just like to understand which difference there are between 5" and 8" that justify the cost....
and, with the specs of my room (reported in first post) what is the best solution...

Split the difference with the 6.5” S6’s. They are coaxial as well so great imaging. I got mine for $500 for the pair. Fantastic value, though the Eris are good too for the money.

Thanks to all...

What are you going to use them for? Playing through them? Then get the 8" version for sure. Mixing? Don't waste time and money on these. I have a pair of Presonus Eris E8s, they are my go to speakers for playing guitar through plugins or Axe-FX, and they work just fine for that, but for mixing you need something better, IMO.

@Mesaholic I mix with KRK vxt4 and then I check the mix with Adam 7 and finally with Focal SM9: never had any issues with bass frequencies.
@lqdsnddist I don't agree with you but I appreciate your argumentation. I'm an acoustic engineer and I've resole many problems to my customer with a proper studied acoustic treatment. DIY risks to increase certain frequencies in a small room since there was measurement.
@Roby Rocks Eris speakers are good in their range of price but as said by @vangrieg the important thing is what you are going to do with them.

Diego, what if it was a question between nothing or DIY, assuming proper treatment wasn’t an option?

Typical sized bedroom, 4 corners, flat walls, desk positioned near a wall due to necessity of space.

Would you leave it untouched or suggest something like a few wedges in the corners, diffusion panel or two on the wall, move speakers away from wall if possicle etc ?

I agree there is no replacement for proper treatment, measurements and skilled installation, but few are going to do that for home hobby use.

If it was up to me I would suggest (as I do usually) to do a simple measurement (there are many sw to do this, one of them is freeware (https://www.roomeqwizard.com/). Maybe he has so many furniture (carpet, etc.) that the sound is good as it is (also this happened to me a dozen times). But without a measurement he will never know... IMHO I would never pay for a high pricing/quality monitor without a proper treatment but if he only wants to play along there's no need and DIY (I created some years ago a couple of acoustic panel with Basotec that are still in my studio) can be a choice.
I dared to suggest him to take a look at acoustic treatment since OP is producing a lot of videos and I tough that his target was to create a sonically good environment. That's all ;). .

I spent a lot of time on this a few months ago. I have a small desk/space so was limited.

I ended up with the Presonus Eris 4.5 and am very happy. I would have gone 5" if I had just a little more space.

One nice thing about the 4.5 is the volume knob on the front. Even though I run them through a mixer, it's nice to have the master volume right there. They are also very quiet and not-hissy, something I've experienced with larger monitors. I leave them all the time and they don't bother me one bit.

To control the master level of the monitors you could use something like this:
LEVEL-PILOT-X_P0C32_Front1_B.png

https://www.tcelectronic.com/Catego...sories/LEVEL-PILOT-X/p/P0C32#googtrans(en|en)
not so expensive but useful

Back
Top Bottom