Presonus 24.4.2, remote iPad control, and other fun (by request)

Rick

Axe-Master
While making comment on another thread involving a Macbook Pro, I mentioned a few loosely related uses involving my FOH and monitor setup. I received a request to elaborate on it a little, due to interest in the application.

DISCLAIMER: This isn't a sales pitch, I don't work for any of the companies involved. I am just sharing personal experiences with gear. As always, use what's useful, discard the rest! Cost of the board varies with location, $3299 is a online standard price, I got mine for $2900 new from a major national dealer.

A little over a year ago I was having a really bad time with a Mackie Onyx 24.4 board breaking down all the time and losing one side of the mains. After two 300 mile each way trips for repair, and another failure, I had it fixed and sold it. I had been using Mackie for 20 years, so I started shopping to see what else was out there. I kept hearing about a console from Presonus, who I had only previously known for studio gear. But it was getting rave reviews for flexibility. So I check and found it was called the StudioLive, and came in 16 and 24 channel versions.

DISCLAIMER 2: It would take me litetally more space than the forum would give to explain everything this board will do. Go to PreSonus, click on products, select mixers, then StudioLive 24.4.2. There are a few videos there, and access to manuals and such. Like Fractal, they update firmware pretty regularly, which can also be downloaded free from this site. BTW, it is a digital board, and I can't begin to extol the virtues of that in actual function.

What I am going to cover here are the wireless capabilities of the console, which are just scary-cool. I am going to be semi-brief, so feel free to ask questions or PM. I will let you know what I do about the unit.

Basic setup: I have the 24.4.2 connected to a Macbook Pro via 400 Firewire. The MBP is direct wired to a Apple Airport Extreme Dual Band, with both bands separated so I can select myself. Remote is a Gen1 Apple iPad. Other options are available (see below). Monitors go out though 25 pin D-Subs on back to a MyMix system. This works great but, as you will see, is no longer necessary.

The board ships with a few products worth noting. One is called Universal Control/Virtual StudioLive (VSL). This is the software that connects your StudioLive to the Mac or PC (either works fine). Another included product is called Capture. In short, it will record your mixer signal in full 24 track (actually even more tracks can be done live, as there are other recordable busses). This recording is fully editable and can be mastered in many other standard DAW suites. It can also be played back into the console for virtual soundchecks if you want to get levels and set the room before the band even gets there. More on these at the site above. Way, way cool... and free.

The wireless apps:

First, let's acknowledge that it is often a nightmare to get the FOH sound man in a good acoustic position to mix. How many times does your guy end up on a wall, in a ceiling height room or balcony, extremely left or right of center, etc? Even when you can put him front and center, you have the manage running a snake through the crowd to get there. This is quite unpopular at upscale black-tie sort of events where they've spent thousands decorating the venue (or when the house manager is just an a$$).

Now... what if you could put your mixing console wherever you wanted, even on or behind the stage, and mix while walking around the audience area?

With this relatively low cost, great sounding mixer this is already a reality. I have been doing it for a year and we don't even unload the case with the snake in it any longer, unless on a large stage to center the "plug in" area. You can connect a computer (PC or Mac, in laptop, tower, cube or whatever format) to the StudioLive via Firewire. You load the VSL software and the controls of the mixer come up on the computer screen in similar format to a recording DAW. You can adjust anything... faders, Fat Channel (you HAVE to go read on this, it is the heart of the console and what sold me on buying it), mains, Auxes, effects, straight from the computer. You can ad hoc a wireless connection to another laptop if you'd like to get it to a second location, but there is a better way...

Get an iPad w/ wifi (any memory size or generation works, I suggest a 32 as minimum) and download the free StudioLive remote app from the app store. To connect you can use the above mentioned ad hoc network, but I don't recommend it. Get a decent router, hook it to the computer, and get HUNDREDS of feet of wireless range. Once connected, the VSL type screen comes up on the iPad and you are wirelessly controlling VSL (and therefor the mixer) with the iPad. Walk wherever you need to hear the mix, adjust levels, effects (with tap tempo), EQ, anything... right from the iPad. If that isn't enough to smoke your brain, you can also do it (albeit with some dexterity challenge) on an iphone or ipod touch! Obviously, you can also set up your iMac with the 27" led screen and wireless to it if you want to impress the masses at a sit-down location that suites your mix-master. But I find the iPad to be a crowd-pleaser, and regular question generator! In landscape it shows the regular VSL display, in portrait it will show much more detail on a single channel (all are selectable, including auxes, sub masters, or mains).

Check it yourself opportuity: Even if you dont have the equipment, you can download the iPad app free and check it out. There are demo versions of the mix surface in the app you can play with, matching the three sizes of Studiolive mixers.

This is not a flying fader board, that would double cost. But the board will show you graphically where to place the faders to match the current mix should you wish to re-take manual control of the board. Which brings us to the "why a MyMix or Aviom system isn't needed for monitors" section...

There are 10 Auxes on the StudioLive 24, not counting FX which have their own two independent Auxes. These can provide completely independent monitor mixes, can be linked to stereo for IEMs, if desired, have full Fat Channel EQ, compression, FX, gating, etc, and are assignable by permissions to wireless devices. What that means is that you can assign a wireless connection (the drummers ipod touch or ipad, for instance) to allow him to control his own monitor mix. Yes, that also means you can keep the guitarist from turning himself up in the mains while fixing his monitor level! Ha ha. Most band folk have one or more of these items, so you could actually provide a completely musician-on-stage controlled monitor mix without the $6-10K expense of a full networked monitor system. It is in use now, and works great. Our monitors are routed to IEMs or powered wedges, which all work great.

Anyway, I share this great experience with you in the same way as someone also shared an experience with the Eleven rack with me that eventually led me to the Axe Fx. I hope that those who would benefit from such a product check it out. It's cool, and the company is as approachable as FAS about use and improvement. They are located in Baton Rouge, southern Louisiana.

RESEARCH: Check YouTube or Vimeo for a large variety of vids on use. Of patricular interest are those by Presonus featuring Rick Naqvi, Jason Harris, and others. Also check out information by experienced international FOH guy Ace Baker on the unit (you can find him on FB as well), he is currently using the mixer for FOH with the Paul Gilbert band. Paul also has high praise for the ease of use and high fidelity, not to mention raving about getting studio quality demos of every performance. Read the manuals on Presonus.com, ask me for my experiences with it. I am no expert, but I have run into a few things and can probably help in basic decisions. Check out their forum too. They are helpful and have a section for pre-purchase questions too.

They also do a streaming show demonstrating uses of the product (with freebies!). Sign up for their emails for an invite. That might be a very cool future idea for Fractal.

All the best, hope this is helpful to someone.

How's that, Alex?

Last edited:
How's that, Alex?

:)

Very very cool. Thanks for the detailed description.
So this is kinda like a Pro predecessor of the new visual mixers by Line 6 and others?
Gonna take a look at the Pad app.

What is Fat Channel?

I've checked out the Presonus, I'm waiting for the Mackie DL1608, if it does what they say, it has plenty for me, cost much less too, no dedicated pc w/ firewire needed also.

Last edited:
Fat Channel

=yek;635493What is Fat Channel?

The Fat Channel is the center of this console, both literally and conceptually. A picture of the board surface is in the attachment. The blue middle section is the fat channel. It contains a compressor and downward expander, gate, high pass filter, four band parametric EQ and a few other assignment controls. When you select a channel (blue button above fader strip) the ENTIRE fat channel is assigned to that fader. You do whatever you need... EQ, compress, FX, whatever... then select the next channel. The ENTIRE fat channel now belongs to that channel and the other channel settings are saved. And so on and so on...

Here is a link to a really LARGE view of the surface... http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/1800/StudioLive24-xlarge.jpg

Any channel with a select button (and that includes sub masters, mains, auxes, and FX in addition to the 24 strip channels) can be assigned to the fat channel and so adjusted. In other words, that makes 31 or so outboard compressors, parametric EQs, gates, limiters, etc unneeded and unnecessary. I literally eliminated a complete 20 space rolling ATA rack full of gear... we just don't need it any longer. This board does it all and sounds better doing it. All of those buttons on the surface are back-lit, by the way. Easy to use the unit in the dark.

You have full connection abilities at the back matrix, of course, should you decide to insert more effects devices, certain compressors favored by the vocalist, whatever... you don't have to use the fat channel and can take anything not used out of the chain. Like I said earlier, once I read up on the fat channel, I had to try one of these.

The crazy thing is that this isn't a $10K or higher board... it's under $3K and the sound quality is unbelievable. It is a professional level product that sounds like something 10 times it's price and has those awesome wireless things going for it. I have heard other manufacturers were going to be making similar products, which you would expect (and there are some at a higher cost already that had some of these features), one of the soon-to-be producers being Behringer. I would be really wary of cheaper alternatives, personally. I bought this one based on really good studio performance of other Presonus products. It has been bulletproof for me so far, and has actually been a factor in getting gigs where they did not want a sound board/sound man in the audience. I am not familiar with the Line 6 gear, other than the POD.

It is a monster board, in my opinion, and can't be beat at this price. And a real bonus is the company itself. Prior to getting into FAS I didn't think any company was this accessible anymore. Regular updates and additions, free firmware upgrades, very similar.

Last edited:
Almost forgot...

As it is a digital board, after all... just like the Axe FX, there are a bunch of presets for vocals, drums, instruments, etc already in the console, assignable in whole or part, to any channel. You can save various settings for different rooms you're playing in (whole board scenes)... just drag you're compression to another vocal if they liked the sound, and on and on... like I said, there is just too much to cover.

Last edited:
I've checked out the Presonus, I'm waiting for the Mackie DL1608, if it does what they say, it has plenty for me, cost much less too, no dedicated pc w/ firewire needed also.
I was a dedicated Mackie guy for years, I loved their stuff and still own a ton of it. I was not happy with what, in my own experience, appeared to be a declining QC level there with mixing consoles.

Man, I truly hope they nail it and prove they can make gear as good as they have in the past. Best of luck, and let me know your experience. I am hopeful!

Waiting on the Presonus Live 16.4.2 (no solid reviews on the Mackie)
I think you'll love it. One cool thing with the 16.4.2 is that you can link two for 32 channels. You can also link the 24s, but it kind of maxes out the Firewire. The 16.4.2 was the original StudioLive and has more development time than any of the others. I would love to buy one for home studio use.

Let me know how it works for you, man!

Last edited:
I echo what Rick has said. I have the Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 and the iPad and iPhone...also recording live 16 tracks direct to the Macbook Pro every night. Amazing piece of gear for the money and sounds wonderful!

Great review Rick, I was looking at getting one of these myself, your posts answered a bunch of questions I had. Thanks a lot for sharing ;)

Yeah really no reviews on Mackie yet, and noticed that they didnt go more than 2 sends deep on the NAMM demo's, so at that time they didnt write it yet? No doubt the Presonus is cool, the live 16 track recording is hip.

If the mackie would put in a esata or usb3 hookup for an external drive for individual track recording,, wham win win.

But we will have to see if it lives up.

The only problem i have had with my OLD VLZ16Pro was ribbon cable oxidation,
fixed easily enough with No OX. Trying to sell it now though..

Last edited:
This is a kick-ass posting, about a kick-ass product (IMO). Thank you very much, Rick, for taking the time to introduce the Presonus live mixers, and their remote abilities with the iPad.

Great review Rick, I was looking at getting one of these myself, your posts answered a bunch of questions I had. Thanks a lot for sharing ;)
You're welcome, Jon. I am mostly on the "getting helped" side here, it's nice to have something constructive to offer!

The only problem i have had with my OLD VLZ16Pro was ribbon cable oxidation,
fixed easily enough with No OX. Trying to sell it now though..
I think the problem with my Onyx was in connections also. I had a 24.8 that worked for me, but many of those were plagued with bad ribbon cables too. My old 1604 is still chugging along minus one channel that went, and I have had a CFX and some other smaller units that worked fine. My band uses the SA1532s and SW1801s for mains. Like I said, been a longtime Mackie guy, but recent experiences had me looking elsewhere. I sincerely do hope they get a lid on those parts and construction problems. They were a real go-to company for me for many years!

This is a kick-ass posting, about a kick-ass product (IMO). Thank you very much, Rick, for taking the time to introduce the Presonus live mixers, and their remote abilities with the iPad.
Thanks xrist04, I appreciate it. There's never been a better time to be a musician, man. This stuff wasn't even dreamed of when I started gigging... a Crown DC300 was high tech then!!

Rick I have a question about the Aux sends.

Can you send each channel to all 10 aux sends at the same time? And can you pick, per channel, whether it's send pre-fader or post-fader?

Can you send a sub-group mix to any and all of the 10 aux sends in the same way?

Because you said it's eliminated the need for an Avoim or MyMix system I'm guessing the answer is yes, but I want to make certain that's the case. If this is true, the 16.4.2 would be perfect for my main band. We have an all-analog Behringer board we're limping along with now but it's only got 6 aux sends, one channel can only access 4 of them at a time, and only 4 of them are pre-fader so it's not great for doing IEMs plus FOH mixing. We need 4 IEM mixes for the band.

Ideally I'd like to be able set up 4 pre-fader aux sends for IEM mixing. And then have 1 pre-fader and 1 post-fader aux send left over for outboard effects. I'm really hoping the 16.4.2 can do that.

Rick I have a question about the Aux sends.

Can you send each channel to all 10 aux sends at the same time? And can you pick, per channel, whether it's send pre-fader or post-fader?

Can you send a sub-group mix to any and all of the 10 aux sends in the same way?

Because you said it's eliminated the need for an Avoim or MyMix system I'm guessing the answer is yes, but I want to make certain that's the case. If this is true, the 16.4.2 would be perfect for my main band. We have an all-analog Behringer board we're limping along with now but it's only got 6 aux sends, one channel can only access 4 of them at a time, and only 4 of them are pre-fader so it's not great for doing IEMs plus FOH mixing. We need 4 IEM mixes for the band.

Ideally I'd like to be able set up 4 pre-fader aux sends for IEM mixing. And then have 1 pre-fader and 1 post-fader aux send left over for outboard effects. I'm really hoping the 16.4.2 can do that.

Ian, without having the board in front of me, I can tell you for sure that you can send all channels to any/all auxes simultaneously. I am pretty sure the answer is yes on pre/post fader per channel. Yes for sure on routing subgroups. I am working with the 24 channel, but am relatively sure it applies equally to the 16.4.2, and possibly to the 16.0.2 as well.

The reason I say it is a replacement for the other systems is that the greatest function of the named systems is giving the monitor level mix to the performer, and allowing them to adjust in real-time what they want or need to hear. I've no doubt there are some things the other dedicated systems may do better (recording the listeners monitor mix, for example) but this is one of those "it's already here, it comes with the mixer, I have an iPad right here!" things where a band can spend that money on other things and still have a totally workable personal monitor system.

I really suggest you grab a pdf of the manual and give it a read. It will do so much better of a job than I am doing of explaining the many functions, and some of the limitations. Also, check out the Presonus forum. They are very helpful, much like the FAS board.

I have this same mixing desk.

Outstanding set of features for the money.

It's the first small format mixer where I feel like the mic pre's have a pro amount of headroom. This is in direct comparison to the Mackie Onyx series.

Not sure what the voltage these pre's are running at, but they really sound great.

The high pass, limiter, compressor, gate and eq on every input, can really be used. These things are easy to use and sound pro.

The two on board efx processors are not super high end, but passable. I have a room verb and a big verb setup on mine but I am not running them very out front such that you would hear their shortcomings.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom