Presets vs Scenes vs X/Y States

mwd

Power User
Had my Ultra for 10 years and XL for a couple. Got an AX8 yesterday. I use my Ultra live with preset changes done via computer MIDI. The preset change is pretty much instant and seamless. I understand that due to the complexities and power of the presets on newer units it is not so instant therefore scenes are recommended. I have never used scenes or X/Y parameter. I understand basic scene concept and intend on searching and watching tutorials but I had a couple of direct questions first to anyone willing to kick in.

In my Ultra I use 4 preset (slots) per song. Intro, Body, Lead, Xtra. This has covered every need I have ever had regarding boost and leveling between songs and allowed me instantly switch between vastly different presets like Studio Lead to Poltergeist Pig to Crystal Echos to Katies Song, for example, with no lag time.

If I understand Scenes correctly I really couldn't do that on the AX8. Only layer in various combinations of echo, reverb, chorus effects, while using same amp/speaker combo?

If I understand X/Y that I could use different amps so I could simulate multi presets BUT does changing X/Y status have as much lag time as changing presets?

Any info that could be doled out as to the best way to control vastly different combos with minimal gap would be appreciated.

why not use Presets on the AX8 as well then? Preset switching is the fastest thing on the AX8. Scenes are more for turning on multiple effects at the same time, though you can do a "all in one preset" if you want. but you don't need to. Scenes are NOT a replacement for Presets.

many threads here discussing how to decrease the audio gap when switching sound. consider using a Drive block (Ruckus drive is a great high gain sound), which has no audio gap when turning on and off. possibly consider bypassing the amp for a "super clean" sound.

for some general history and explanation of Presets, Scenes and XY, this video was made for the axe-fx ii, so most will translate, except for the "4 amps" using 2 amp blocks, since the AX8 only has 1 amp block.

Thank you Chris. That is good news to hear that AX8 presets are quick. My XL is not quick at all compared to my Ultra. Perhaps what I was reading was about the XL. I know it is processing more info.

Thank you Chris. That is good news to hear that AX8 presets are quick. My XL is not quick at all compared to my Ultra. Perhaps what I was reading was about the XL. I know it is processing more info.
hmm i'm not comparing AX8 vs the Ultra or the XL+, i'm just saying Preset switching is the fastest thing on the AX8.

:) ok I have selective hearing....lol. I was hearing what I wanted to. I will know soon enough. Thanks. About to watch the vid you suggested.

While I have you here can you point me to a vid or info as to the most efficient way to move 'all' the presets over to a different bank? I remember helping a friend on his AX8 and it seemed painfully slow.

:) ok I have selective hearing....lol. I was hearing what I wanted to. I will know soon enough. Thanks. About to watch the vid you suggested.

While I have you here can you point me to a vid or info as to the most efficient way to move 'all' the presets over to a different bank? I remember helping a friend on his AX8 and it seemed painfully slow.

Click the first preset with mouse left button, then hold SHIFT and press mouse left button again on the last preset on the bank. This way you can choose all the presets at the same time.

Now I can't remember if you have to drag them to a new bank or can you press the right button on the mouse and choose CUT and then PASTE them to a new bank.

Just to add - scenes are more powerful than I think you think.

With scenes you can turn effects on and off, toggle between X/Y states (including amp/cab etc) - effectively giving you two amps.

You also have two scene modifiers - so for example you can have a scene modifier changing the drive on an amp, so scene one it's at 5 and scene 2 it's 100.

Finally, you have two control switches - these can be used to much like scene modifiers, so for example you can use that to switch one effect off and another on.

To give you an example - in one preset I have:

Completely clean, no amp selected. Chain is Compressor -> Cab (containing an acoustic guitar IR) -> Chorus -> Delay -> Reverb
Clean - JCM 800 with low gain -> Chorus -> Delay -> Reverb
Crunch - JCM 800 with gain quite low -> 4x12 Cab -> reverb
Heavier Rhythm - JCM 800 with medium/high gain -> 4x12 Cab -> Delay
Lead - TS -> JCM 800 maxed out -> 4x12 Cab -> Delay

All these are controlled with the bottom row of swtiches - left to right, S1/S2, S3, S4, S5
Top row - Delay, Chorus, Phaser and TS808 - to modify scenes if I want.

All achieved by the above - scene modifiers and turning effects on and off.

In the above, I use a variety of GEQ and Filter blocks either in front of, or after the amp - to boost/cut frequencies and gain levels accordingly.

Basically these are providing volume boost, and sculpting the raw sound from the JCM.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom