Presets to test with Atomic CLR

leelewis

Does anyone have presets that they use on here for specific songs or general gigging patches that are set up to be used loud with an Atomic CLR ie FRFR setup. I can get clean patches sounding good but any patch set up for a rock amp is coming out too trebly and sharp - appreciate can use GEQ to take some high end off but the speaker shouldnt make these patches sound so thin and spikey.
If anyone has some pacthes they know works for them would be very useful to try together with details of how CLR and Axe is set up so can replicate.

Ive gone back to using my Satch JVM into a 2x12 as the sound on the Atomic/Axe combination just isnt cutting it and using the valve amp its hard, immediate, meaty sound which is what the CLR/Axe combination wasnt
Thanks - Lee

Does anyone have presets that they use on here for specific songs or general gigging patches that are set up to be used loud with an Atomic CLR ie FRFR setup. I can get clean patches sounding good but any patch set up for a rock amp is coming out too trebly and sharp - appreciate can use GEQ to take some high end off but the speaker shouldnt make these patches sound so thin and spikey.
If anyone has some pacthes they know works for them would be very useful to try together with details of how CLR and Axe is set up so can replicate.

Ive gone back to using my Satch JVM into a 2x12 as the sound on the Atomic/Axe combination just isnt cutting it and using the valve amp its hard, immediate, meaty sound which is what the CLR/Axe combination wasnt
Thanks - Lee
Are you sure you have your cabs sims on?

-TK

Ill double check but 99% sure they are on. The clean presets are pretty ok but the heavy distorted ones are just lacking that "mojo" that i get from the valve head into a 2 or 4x12. Turned up resonance on speakers settings on amp which helps with the bottom end.
As i mentioned would be helpful to test a preset someone with a similar set up uses so can compare

Search out Fremen's presets for v13. They sound great through my two CLR's (FF setting on speaker stands) with no tweaks.

Thanks - Lee

It can and should sound good, but in a different way. If your goal would happen to be for it to sound the same, or better in the "same way" as your amp/cab, it's not likely to happen. You may be able to close the gap between the two with some heavy EQ'ing, but it's still going to sound & feel different (because it is). That's been my struggle, I like the "in your face" rawness of an amp/cab and miss that with FRFR, which is more "polished".

Last edited:
I have struggled for 9+ months with this exact issue. I have downloaded dozens of presets only to be disappointed when every one sounds shrill and thin. Even the factory presets and multiple system resets left me scratching my head.

I recently switched away from my Atomic CLRs. I may test them again and will send a preset if I get good results. For me, I don't think the issue is/was the CLRs. Audio from a test source sounds pretty good through them. I think the issue was FRFR. I have stood in front of guitar cabinets for many years and the Axe and FRFR was just too much change all at one time.

I recently acquired two Matrix NL12s and they are a bit more like what I was used to, but still lacking and not what I hoped/knew/thought was possible. This weekend, I finally dialed in a slew of tones from clean to lead/solo that sound great on the NL12s. I haven't tried it yet, but I think the presets would also sound good on the CLRs with a little tweaking. It's a *very* delicate balancing act between the amp's input drive, master volume, the amp's level setting and the guitar's tone knob. The Solo 88 Rhythm amp was the breakthrough for me. It sounds rich and full for a wide range of tones. I have the input drive anywhere from 4-7 (depending on the guitar) and the master volume around 6. Cliff's advise is GOLD (see the Amp (block) entries in the Wiki -- start low on the MV, add input drive to get the gain/sustain, then add add MV to get compression (balance the pre-amp and power amp drive). The level setting should not alter the tone, but I found with the NL12s (traditional, not FRFR, cabs), the level added a bit more "woomph" and fullness that I was after. I still have to back my guitar's tone knob off a bit (to about "6-8") to eliminate the shrill sound. Adding the Studio Compressor block in front of the amp gives a nice tight sustain that "sings" (a tone I have been chasing on the Axe for too long). Be sure to check out this video (FractalCompression - YouTube).

Last edited:

Thanks - Lee
Hi, this is a repost from Great Green. You just add THIS filter block on another row from the amp by passing the cab, then back into the original row. I really like the way it works with my presets for a cab in the room sound.
The problem with getting room filing sound with Axe-Fx FRFR rigs is that most guys seem to just dial up an Amp block and Cab block onto the grid and go from there. This will no doubt make for a great mix-ready sound, but the problem with this is that most Cab IRs tend to cut out all the sub bass, which guitar cabs do produce lots of, so naturally you're going to have a significant differential between a Cab IR and a cab. Why this happens I'm not sure. Maybe because guitar speakers (the things most often mic'd when capturing IRs) don't actually produce all that much bass and instead the room shaking bass comes from the resonance of the top, bottom, side, and back walls of the cab, which act as their own low frequency "speakers" reacting from the vibrations of the "actual" speakers mounted in front. I'm not really sure. All I know is that cabs tend to have all this low frequency complexity going on while cab IRs just... kind of don't.

So how do we get around this?

It's actually pretty simple, really. We add back the bass. You can't add it with EQ after the cab IR though because it has already cut out most of the low bass from the signal completely. Instead, start by finding your Amp and Cab blocks and placing a Filter block on the grid in parallel with your Cab block. Then, route your Amp block straight to the Filter block, bypassing the Cab block.

From here, change the Filter Type to "Lowpass," change Order parameter to "4th" for a sharper frequency cutoff, and set the Frequency value to somewhere between 110 and 120 hz or to taste. From here, route your Filter block back into the chain after your Cab block and set the Filter block's volume using the Level parameter (not the Gain parameter), and adjust the level until you've added enough low end back into your signal.

That's it, you're done! Your previously mix-ready tone is now a room filling monster that can give you all the amp in the room, pants shaking sound and feelings you can stand. And whether or not this sounds literally exactly like your favorite real life amp and cab in the room, I can guarantee you it is every bit as fun to play.

Personally, I've found my favorite patches setup this way and played through the CLRs definitely sound and feel way better "in the room" to me than my actual amps sound and feel in the room. It's kind of unreal.

edit:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by H3O2

H3O2 got it exactly right a few posts down. This is all there is to it!

Interesting idea, and I will try this. I played with an AMP/CAB setup on the weekend and well, you know, lol. It was great.

Question is, what firmware was this idea conceived on ? Will the later revisions ,12, 13, and the addition of Ultrares effect this void the concept of injecting mid bass back in ?
Thanks

The idea of (pre and) post EQ will always be valid.

The results you get will really be up to you and what your goal is.

IOW, the use of post EQ is not firmware or feature specific, it's a part of sculpting a tone that will always be a tool you can use to achieve a goal.

Thanks for the responses. The CLR is fine and I do get am amazing clean sound using the vibro amp but stuff that's sounds great at bedroom level cranked up loud becomes to toppy and lacks the impact that you get with a Marshall through a real Cab. Similar pron with matrix gt1000 into the cab but lot less toppy. Will try the filter idea and see if that works.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses. The CLR is fine and I do get am amazing clean sound using the vibro amp but stuff that's sounds great at bedroom level cranked up loud becomes to toppy and lacks the impact that you get with a Marshall through a real Cab. Similar pron with matrix gt1000 into the cab but lot less toppy. Will try the filter idea and see if that works.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Hi, a lot of users make 2 different presets , one for bedroom and one for stage because of the Fletcher-Munson effect..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom