Presets (including the factory and what I learned & some tips/tricks for new users (or upgraded from fx2))

musicman0001

Experienced
NOTE: This is my view of what I endured and how I got here today AND I only talk about small (room/studio) environment with only FX3, Adam Audio Monitors, Komplete Audio 6 USB audio) EDIT: I play mainly with a Blade California HSS guitar. Of course other guitars that I have will sound different and also my hands and style will have a big influence!

DISCLAIMER: The fx3 factory presets are the best factory presets I have ever heard, so in NO way this thread/post is about bashing presets!!!

Since I received my axe fx 3 mk2 Turbo it's clear to me that the AXE FX is sooooo easy to dail in and the current version it's even easier (to me!).
In last years I have tried many presets from the forum/axchange/factory and since I changed (upgraded) my studio-system I have found some tips and idea's that I would like to share. Also I read many things in my journey on the forum or links related to the subject at hand (technical stuff).

Factory Presets FW 18/19:

I never liked the factory presets (they where to dark somehow) BUT I have changed some stuff at home (see other threads) and now my whole system works much nicer and I have even less tweakings. And although I still find them on the dark side, the behaviour and feel of the preset is finally more in line with my expectations from presets to use them as a good base to achieve and find your holy grail ;)

TIPS:
  • Take a preset where you like and know the amp or at least heard it before and played with
  • Make sure that instead of making the preset to your liking you try to get your full system setup and try to have your guitar and systems (PC, volume, gainstages, speakers, etc..) are set up so the preset sounds at least 90% satisfactory.
  • Then try some other presets with amps you know and see if everything is within the 90%-100% ballpark

Findings/Notes/Risks
  • Don't treat these presets as one size fits all (!)
  • as there are too many variables (really, way too many!)
  • Be sure that you check the releasenotes as the factory presets are made on (I believe 16 or 17) and latest iterations have changed some stuff
  • Your volume and settings will have impact on the IR's used and also will have impact on the bass and treble, same for speakers and guitars that you use
SO:
  • Check (ALL) the high and low cuts of the amp and the cabs (set them first to NOT cut anything and start cutting till your likings (!!)
  • After that take the next step (only 1) for fx and stomps, and check these settings also for this particular fx or stomp
  • Spatial information (width, depth, left and right, stereo settings etc..) can have a huge impact on how you perceive the frequenties with the choosen IR's and will (can) have a great impact on your soundsystem (FRFR/FOH and/or studio/amps cabs) and the distance and placing from your speakers (reverb/reflexion/gaps/amplification low/high/mids/phasing) so when you have any effect before or after the amp enabled please check these settings as well
  • When you change anything to the presets (other then high and low cuts) this WILL have impact on how the maker had intended the preset BUT you will get a preset that will fit more your likings, tone, feel and behaviour (Do not forget to save the preset before you change anything! so you can always go back) on the other hand you can always re-install the factory presets ;)
There are some more stuff about presets and what to do (or not to do) that I want to share, but for a first entry this is a good start and will discuss more about presets in general or ways to have presets more tweaked to your likings and/or expectations.

As I learned the hard way ;)
CU Tomorrow

Last edited:
Stage-volume and dailing in presets at home

@Greg Ferguson Your right! Fletcher Muson (click here or here) has definitely impact on how people perceive tone and sound! Especially if you (like me) do not have a big room nor equipment to simulate playing at stagevolume. (at home) of course when you play loud at home something similar will happen (Thats why some hifi systems have a loudness button (click here)).

@FractalAudio: is FM and loudness mathematical in such a way that the AXE FX3 can have a "compensation" specificaly for this purpose? In terms of similar to loudness or even better with adding a DB value from the position your in (by app on the phone or real DB meter?)

If you want to make sure your preset is FOH (what the audience will hear) and/or FRFR (monitors on stage) stage friendly then tuning presets at STAGE VOLUME is a MUST.

Reason I started this preset topic(s) is that I have struggled a lot with these throughout the years and resulted many times in getting frustrated (and most of it was MY own fault. It's NOT the FX3 as many professionals get super nice sounds. It's the complexity of all variables that can impact the tone and feel of the preset. Where IR's are definitely have a big impact (speaker and mic choices).

See these 2 posts for some background when I started with axe fx3 as an upgrade from 2: First Impression & factory presets

Topics to follow that have impact on how you perceive presets and what can have impact:
  • Ear fatigue
  • Room and reflections at home
  • All variables on the sound (complexity)
  • IR's (this is very important piece of the puzzle!)
  • Playing with backingtrack
  • Matching the guitarsound of a track
  • Weather
  • In the MIX of a recording (as you will most likely NOT like this when you ONLY have this as a guitar sound.....)
For the remainder of this topic STAGE VOLUME or LOUD PLAYING is always included as a subject, but expressed all the time and as I do not have big room and not a real studio setup where I checked gaps and apmplification of frequencies/reflection on my end will . And I listen and playing mainly on Studio Monitors sitting very close to the Adams Audio. I'm sure that this will have impact on my perception as well!

For topics to be included or links or feedback, please think twice as I do not want to derail this topic as there are plenty of threads on this subject.

Please only links or topics that will help me or other people and NOT bashing each other with opinions.

Goede morgen van Arizona!
I have set up a PEQ block with EQ boost/cut at a couple points, which does a fair job at compensating for F/M issues, and has my preferred rumble and zizz cuts as well. I use it in every preset after the amp(s) and cab(s) to give a "quick fix" I can use if a preset sounds off. I usually dial things in around 85dB, so they are usually pretty well-balanced, but it is nice to have a "quick fix" ready for this rather than menu diving to do a proper fix and killing the flow when you're in it....

Goede morgen van Arizona!
I have set up a PEQ block with EQ boost/cut at a couple points, which does a fair job at compensating for F/M issues, and has my preferred rumble and zizz cuts as well. I use it in every preset after the amp(s) and cab(s) to give a "quick fix" I can use if a preset sounds off. I usually dial things in around 85dB, so they are usually pretty well-balanced, but it is nice to have a "quick fix" ready for this rather than menu diving to do a proper fix and killing the flow when you're in it....
Can you include this for me and others to try-out block or preset....

Can you include this for me and others to try-out block or preset....
Here it is. I have a dedicated controller for the F/M part. It can boost or cut the lows and highs to approximate the change from one curve to another, within reason. It may not be enough to fix everything, but it might just be enough to help make a gig less bad....

Back
Top Bottom