Presets for mixing vocals, drums, etc?

mrrippie

I'm starting to go outside the box and use outboard analog gear in my mixes (1176's, distressors, pultec's, etc).
I'd love to start using my axe fx3 as an effects processor for a drum buss, or vocals, or whatever during mix downs in the same way you'd use a Lexicon 480L.

Long shot but I'm curious has anyone made patches out there with this in mind? Either free or pay..
I'll eventually build my own over time but having some great tools right out of the gate would be worthwhile to me.

Thanks.

If you are mixing down to a DAW i would just do it there tbh.

If you have a drum bus then you would typically already have compression & EQ on the individual tracks within the bus, and ditto for vocals.. which given the AXE fxIII doesnt have that many inputs is a good thing.. lol

So assuming this is two stereo inputs (neither with reverb), then i wouldn't see much more than an EQ block for each, perhaps a a separate reverb for vocals, mixer and a multi band compressor .. i could well be wrong but without getting to the individual tracks I dont think there is any special wizardry that the axe can really add

just 2c

The axe is a digital unit with a constrained CPU. If it’s not analog outboard gear, I would just stay in the box and use one of the many quality plugins available for common mixing tasks.

There are things in the Fractals that could be useful....but, I honestly don't really see the value.

They already have a plugin version of their reverb. Assuming that they didn't artificially limit it, things should sound the same through it or through the device. I don't think any of the dynamics processors are "special", at least not compared to what's available elsewhere. Same with delays.

I mean....if you want to run your drum bus through a guitar amp....more power to you. I can definitely see some synths working through it...but not many people do that.

A lot of really cool "standard techniques" were created by people using gear "wrong". So...go ahead and see what you can come up with. It might be really cool.

But, I don't think there are many people using it that way just because I don't think they add much in that context.

I should also probably clarify that I'm a bit of an ITB zealot. I honestly think that it almost always sounds better. Obviously, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom