Not a Bug Presets button not working in layouts

madbanjoman

I have my FM3 with the OMG FM3 only layout and bank layout size of 3. When I select Presets it supposed to show the current 3 presets in the bank, instead I get duplicate of current preset across all three foot switches and bank up/down doesn't switch to the next bank. it displays bank +1 or -1 but doesn't move through any real banks. It's hard to describe. The other layouts, scenes and effects work perfectly. I attached my layouts file. Let me know else what I can provide.

Attachments

• all-layouts_20220423_195413.fclayout
    84.6 KB · Views: 1
Some things I have tried:

I cleared all the layouts and imported the latest all layouts file from the OMG thread. I also did a reset directly on the FM3 to the OMG layouts.

I am currently on firmware 5.03b2 but I was seeing it on 5.02 as well.

I downloaded and loaded the all-layouts file, set the bank size to 3, and can't duplicate the problem. Bank +1 and Bank -1 move between the banks correctly and display the appropriate presets. I also cycled the power on the FM3 a couple of times with no change.

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 12.00.48 PM.png

I know how to reproduce it. If you turn midi pc mapping on the change the mapping from the default, presets are completely messed up via the foot switch.

I first reset all my presets and system config via the utilities then I loaded the default presets. Everything worked fine. I then restored my presets and everything was still good. I went the through my system changes one by one until I started changing the pc mapping.

I am using my amp1 remote1 to recall a preset on my FM3. My FM3 then has a midi block that will trigger loops to be on or off on my Morningstar ML5. All of this works fine, except I no longer can access other presets on FM3 via the built-in footswitches.

I attached my system setting syx file to show what I am doing. I remap 9 presets vi the PC mapping. I map to one preset 6 times. The reason for this is the Remote1 is a very primitive midi device and sends a sequential PC message on midi channel 2 and it has no way to change its behavior.

Attachments

• FM3-220424-174631-system+gb+fc.syx
    192.6 KB · Views: 0
I remap 9 presets vi the PC mapping. I map to one preset 6 times. The reason for this is the Remote1 is a very primitive midi device and sends a sequential PC message on midi channel 2 and it has no way to change its behavior.
Do you mean it's sending multiple PCs on the channel you're using for the FM3, or does it send the same PC on multiple midi channels?

It's expected that PC Mapping will affect this as far as I know.

My mappings look something like this:

PC Preset Scene
PC 0 500 scene 1
PC 1 500 scene 1
PC 2 500 scene 1
PC 3 500 scene 1
PC 4 500 scene 2
PC 5 500 scene 3
PC 6 3 as saved
PC 7 6 as saved
PC 8 9 as saved

PC mapping is intended for use with MIDI PC messages and not the FC preset switches. Either turn PC mapping off or use a MIDI controller to select the mapped presets.

There currently is no mention of this limitation in the manual for either the FM3, FM9, or Axe III, but there probably should be.

I am not using midi to select FC switches. I am selecting presets with the mapping from the remote1 via midi. This part works great.

When I go to use my FM3 foot switches, directly on the FM3, the presets layout no longer behaves the way it's intended. the other layouts work fine. ie scenes, effects utilities. If I leave midi mapping off and select preset 1 with foot switch 1 on my remote1 and choose to use the foot switches on the FM3 again it works as in intended.

You can't have both. If PC mapping is turned on, your FC preset switches will not work as expected. The FM3 and FM9 still use the same 9 FC layouts for their built in switch functions.

Thanks for answering. A bit of bummer, but I can move presets and copy presets to match the mapping and not turn on the pc mapping and that should work.

Thanks for answering. A bit of bummer, but I can move presets and copy presets to match the mapping and not turn on the pc mapping and that should work.
I'm still not understanding the reason you need the PC Mapping... Did you see my earlier questions?

Maybe we can figure out a better solution.

It is a rather complicated setup. I have 4 midi devices, amp1, fm3, ml5 and amp selector that I want to link together so I can with press of a button switch between 5 different setups. The amp selector can only be at the end of the midi chain as it has an input only. The Amp1 can be either only the first or only the last midi device in the chain. The Amp1 with the Remote1 connected to it has a midi out port. The Amp1 without the Remote1 connected can use the Remote1 port as midi in port with a dongle that I own as well. The ML5 and FM3 both have midi in and midi out but the ML5 is not smart and can't send extra commands downstream like the FM3.

My current midi setup is Remote1 -> FM3 -> ML5 -> amp selector. The Remote1 can only send PC messages on midi channel 2 sequentially equal to the 9 buttons on it. It does have 4 banks, so I can access the first 36 presets on the FM3.

When I press on the first 4 buttons on the Remote1, it selects the channel, turns on the effects loop and/or the boost pedal on the Amp1. The FM3 listens on midi channel 2 and selects the pedalboard preset on the first scene which has a midi block that tells the ML5 to turn on loops A, B and E. The ML5 has 5 loops. A is the input and send of the FM3, B is the input and send of Amp1 and E is the return and out of the FM3 and lastly the Amp selector to switch to the channel that the Amp1 is on. The output of the ML5 goes to the return of the Amp1.

The first 4 buttons give me the Amp1 in 4 cable method with the FM3 as the effect processor and access to all four of its channels, clean, vintage, classic and modern.

The fifth button will switch again select the pedalboard preset on the second scene which tells the ML5 to turn on loops A, C and E. Loop C has the Atomic Ampli-firebox in the loop instead of Amp1. Again here the FM3 is an effects processor

The sixth button uses scene 3 on the pedalboard preset to swap loop C for loop D which is my Simplifier Deluxe pedal.

The remaining 3 buttons are to my favorite presets on the FM3 and turns on just the A and E loops, so that the FM3 is going straight into the return on Amp1 and into my cabinet.

The amp selector switches between the Amp1 and my Marshall JVM1 into one cabinet.

What this gets me is one button select between any of these setups. I can compare my FM3 with my tube amp or the Amp1 or the firebox. It also means that I can with one press be playing any of these setups without re-cabling or dancing on a bunch a/b switches.

The only part of this setup that wasn't working was when I wanted to venture away from my 3 favorite presets on the FM3 and go to another preset.

What I am trying now is laying out the first nine presets on my FM3 to do all this and leave PC mapping off and seeing if I can use the FM3 FC buttons to navigate to other presets on the FM3.

If that doesn't work, I can change the routing so I remove the Remote1 and the FM3 becomes the first in the midi chain and I connect the Amp1 to the end of the midi chain. If I am stuck doing it this way I will loose the ability to switch amps on the amp selector via midi as it will no longer be in the midi chain. I can do it manually, so it adds an additional step.

Update: Shifting the presets themselves to fill the first 36 slots allows me to access those presets with my Remote1 and move to other presets via the FM3 FC buttons. Thanks to everyone who assisted finding and solving the problem!

Back
Top Bottom