Presets bassy

Check out the monitor that is being used to make the presets. Fractal is using the JBL prx712 floor monitor. It is basically a band pass box. No bass is reproduced below 70 Hz by the speaker, so Fractal cannot hear if they are putting too much bass in the presets, make sense?

Conversely, the sound coming from the JBL may sound better with the bass that high, probably does. They're pushing the bass to the limit in the box with no super low frequencies being reproduced(below 70 Hz). It would be like having a big mug for beer that has a spill over hole, you can fill it as high as you like and never know you are putting in too much beer(bass) because it just disappears. Looks/sounds full though.

But ask yourself this. Do you need anything below 70 Hz? Fundamentally, yes you do. In reality you start stepping on the Bass guitar and Tuba frequency ranges. Your mix will sound better with the lows cut(some highs too).

Check out the proximity parameter in the cabinet block. I know Cliff is a fan of a little extra low end thump so he may have dialed that value a little higher in some cases.

Also, mic and cab selections obviously have a great influence on bass. The U87 mic has a lot of low end oomph so if that is selected on the preset and you don't like it try a different mic.

The JBL SRX712M probably has similar low end response to any other 12" monitor out there. I don't know too many guitar players that run through subs when checking their low end. If you're playing live any decent sound guy will high pass filter you above 70hz anyway. Same thing in a studio mix.

Well, I guess Adam knows his boss's tendencies pretty well - lol!

Seriously though, thanks for the info. That's good to know.

Bill

I happen to love the additional Bass response and love deeper,darker tones even on the vintage styled amps. But with such deep EQ'ing that the Axe has, everybody will be able to find their tones....

THANK YOU CLIFF! .....my head is swimming with all the wonderful colors you gave me!

2 solutions:

1. Try a lowcut. I like the filter set to 4th order for a lowcut, the PEQ of lowcut in the cab block is not step enough for my taste.

2. Try some user IRs.

Combine both if you want to, like I do often. You can try the Ownhammer IRs (the retail ones, not the ones in the Axe). They are generally not very bassy and are very punchy and defined. Red Wirez is also good, but they do need some EQ, at least a healthy lowcut to work. I don't care for the stock cabs at all.

Last edited:
I can see where in studio recording there might be reasons to reduce that bottom sometimes, but its so awesome, when I work on something I love to have all that low end available as a starting point, initially anyway. If my intent isn't to cover that range I'll tweak it out in one of the ways described, sooner or later. But now that I've played with 6.0 I think the best inspirations, writing-wise, are happening with it in. Later when I work out the drums and bass I can remove it, or heck, just let the drummer and bassist play more sparsely :)

Back
Top Bottom