Presets and You

BluesRock

Inspired
I love my FX-8. For me, it preforms as promised and thus, has become my sole effects unit. All of my traditional pedals are now shelved.

That acknowledged, I wonder about the long-term usefulness of pre-installed presets on any multi-FX unit. I tend to think of them as simply demos designed to give users a sampling of the unit’s possibilities – and a glimpse under the hood (the settings to create a particular effect). Although it’s enjoyable trying them out, I’ve never actually employed them for practice or stage. Perhaps, I’m shortsighted and don't comprehend their full utility. How are you using the supplied FAS presets?

Try them all, keep the ones you like, overwrite the ones you don't have a use for.
You can always reinstall them later.

I've never used any of the presets on any guitar effects devices, except on the first day to see how things generally sound and to work out the routing.
I've downloaded a few from time to time to check out some routing that people do, but I've never used a preset for a gig or a recording that I didn't design myself.

So, these responses (thanks BTW) beg the question, can presets could be designed and organized to make them more functional and/or better learning tools?

I think the needs, tastes and amplification of the pool of prospective users is so varied that in designing for such a group you will always have created many presets that won't serve the needs of many of them.

The FX8 seems to have groups of presets that touch on the more common amplifier configurations and genres of players. A pallet full of colors and textures from which you choose.

I just use them to steal ideas from...copy a delay block and save it because it happens to be set up perfectly for something you do, etc..

I agree with Randombastage, they are great for stealing ideas from. I slavishly copied "Nameless Streets" and also used it for U2's "Pride", just changed the delay time setting. I don't know what I am going to use it for, but "Glass Castles" has to be my favourite sounding preset, it is phenomenal, particularly when using the EV-1 to create a volume swell.

I am really looking forward to the ability to exchange sounds as I am garbage at creating my own, particularly when it comes to distortion (drive) sounds. That being said, I am blown away by the pedal and its capabilites, even if some of them currently elude me. :)

I have had my unit for a week. I have copied presets and adjust to my liking other wise I will get lost in the forest. I figure someone else did all the work why reinvent the wheel.. Then again I am real basic when it comes my effects.

Back
Top Bottom