Presets after update

jvhplayer

I'm sure this has been answered, but do presets change after every update? If they do that's a huge bummer. It seems like there wouldn't be a change or maybe a tool that updates to the new firmware, but it sounds like the actual amps are being changed. I'm not one to update much, but I'm noticing shared presets with different firmwares. I'm hearing all these awesome presets on youtube, but then I'm looking on the xchange and notice they are older. The unit I bought comes with quantum

I'm a long time user, and always wondered this - after install the update, do I have to reset amps/other things? I've just always done the updates.....and that's it.

It usually depends on what is changed by the firmware update. Global changes to the internal modeling algorithms should take effect automatically. When specific models are updated and specific parameters are changed internally, you may need to reset the affected block to load the new defaults. This is usually done by selecting a different block mode or model and then going back. For the amp block, the gain, treble, mid, bass, master, etc. parameters will stay how you set them, but the advanced parameters will reset to the new defaults. The release notes of the firmware update will usually specify if anything needs to be reset.

By "...selecting a different block mode or model and then going back." does that mean by simply calling up the other block but not saving the preset, then recalling the original block, the 'reset' is now acomplished even if you don't save the preset at all?

Yes 'randombastage', but after you have 'reset' the block and re-tweaked (if necessary) you will need to save it to store the new defaults and new tweaks (if any were done) for that preset.

OK, that's where I was confused. I was thinking if you didn't need to tweak any parameters after the reset then no save was needed but you are telling me the block 'reset' doesn't stick until a save takes place.

OK, that's where I was confused. I was thinking if you didn't need to tweak any parameters after the reset then no save was needed but you are telling me the block 'reset' doesn't stick until a save takes place.
Correct, if you don't like what the 'Reset' did.......You don't have to save it. You won't be using the modeling algorithm as intended but it doesn't hurt anything. if it sounds good, it is good.

I'm a long time user, and always wondered this - after install the update, do I have to reset amps/other things? I've just always done the updates.....and that's it.
I don't think a reset is required, but I always reset to see if it makes a difference. Sometimes it's a noticeable difference, sometime not so much.

the release notes will always say if a reset is required. you can test this by copying x into y, resetting x and then looking through to see if any advanced parameters have changed. place the mv and pres in x back to where you have them in y (resetting the amp can change these to default). you can then listen and compare. if both x and y sound identical, you're good to go without having to reset.

Back
Top Bottom