Preset vs Scene

Albion

Inspired
With AXE FX II I've been using for years presets and song mode on my MFC 101
I used global blocks so it was easy for me to use many presets with same amp model and fine tune everything after a firmware update because global blocks are very easy to maintain.

With AX8 I decided to go with scenes because everyone is saying that scenes are faster then presets when switching.
So I made around ten presets with 4 scenes (usually clean, crounch, distortion and lead)
I had a lot of problems with audio gap when switching... I also made a post asking for suggestions in reducing audio gap when switching...
Last night I decided to make a test...
I created 8 presets linking the 8 switches to a preset and I made some test to see If the audio gap was a big problem (everyone would tell you that audio gap is more with presets)
I was really surprised... audio gap is way better... switching between presets with different amps and effects is much faster then between scenes!
I have to say that using presets you can reduce the number of effects you put in the chain... I don't know if this is the reason... but with presets you are free to create you sound chain and switching is very fast.
I think that there is a problem somewhere in how the software is built because scenes should be faster or at least the same then presets where everything must be reloaded... but you know... I'm not really interested in the reason...
The important thing I would like to share is that with presets you are free and fast... with scenes you have to spend time optimizing the chain and it's slow...
I will stick to presets ;-)

Now I just need a couple of global blocks for amp block and the song mode on my AX8 and then it will be a perfect gigging machine. (at least we need te option to give a name to banks to emulate song mode...)
Luca

Exactly the same experience in here too. Presets changing is faster, than Scenes when you have to change amps and cabs between your tones. And the good thing also is, that you have more cpu to use for complex presets this way.

I had the Axe FX II as well and loved the Scenes with it. With AX8 I use banks as my "song specific" tones using all the eight presets to get there.

I've been wondering about this lately while I was spending time trying to coax clean crunch and lead out of one preset.

I don't use many different fx so for me I think I'll just try doing three presets and then use scenes or ia to switch the fx. Unfortunately I won't be around my equipment for another week or two to try it

Exactly the same experience in here too. Presets changing is faster, than Scenes when you have to change amps and cabs between your tones. And the good thing also is, that you have more cpu to use for complex presets this way.

I had the Axe FX II as well and loved the Scenes with it. With AX8 I use banks as my "song specific" tones using all the eight presets to get there.

@DropTheSun would you care to elaborate how you use your presets in your song specific banks? Is preset 1 a clean preset and so on or do you set them up like intro, verse, etc?

Not trying to hijack this thread, thought it might be useful information.

@DropTheSun would you care to elaborate how you use your presets in your song specific banks? Is preset 1 a clean preset and so on or do you set them up like intro, verse, etc?

Not trying to hijack this thread, thought it might be useful information.

Presets:
1. Clean with Delay
2. Clean with delay and shimmer
3. High gain Rhythm
4. High Gain Lead
5. Clean
6. Crunch with delay and shimmer
7. Crunch
8. Crunch Lead

Will have to try it out.
I only use Scene Controllers - no X/Y switching - to get various gain levels in a preset, so scenes are 100% seamless with no drop out at all.

I can see the appeal if you are wanting/needing to change amps as X/Y switching is what causes the gap.

With AXE FX II I've been using for years presets and song mode on my MFC 101
I used global blocks so it was easy for me to use many presets with same amp model and fine tune everything after a firmware update because global blocks are very easy to maintain.

With AX8 I decided to go with scenes because everyone is saying that scenes are faster then presets when switching.
So I made around ten presets with 4 scenes (usually clean, crounch, distortion and lead)
I had a lot of problems with audio gap when switching... I also made a post asking for suggestions in reducing audio gap when switching...
Last night I decided to make a test...
I created 8 presets linking the 8 switches to a preset and I made some test to see If the audio gap was a big problem (everyone would tell you that audio gap is more with presets)
I was really surprised... audio gap is way better... switching between presets with different amps and effects is much faster then between scenes!
I have to say that using presets you can reduce the number of effects you put in the chain... I don't know if this is the reason... but with presets you are free to create you sound chain and switching is very fast.
I think that there is a problem somewhere in how the software is built because scenes should be faster or at least the same then presets where everything must be reloaded... but you know... I'm not really interested in the reason...
The important thing I would like to share is that with presets you are free and fast... with scenes you have to spend time optimizing the chain and it's slow...
I will stick to presets ;-)

Now I just need a couple of global blocks for amp block and the song mode on my AX8 and then it will be a perfect gigging machine. (at least we need te option to give a name to banks to emulate song mode...)
Luca

Yes
I noticed this inverted relantionship as well.

@DropTheSun Thanks!!!! I'll have to give that a try.

Now the only problem is I'm going to have to rethink my presets since I had them setup using scenes.

Can you set the AX8 to always show the bank of presets on the screen even after you click on one of the presets?

Last edited:
Reactions: DTS

This behavior on the AX8 is not different from the Axe-Fx. On the Axe-Fx preset switching is also faster than switching scenes, when switching an AMP between X and Y.

This behavior on the AX8 is not different from the Axe-Fx. On the Axe-Fx preset switching is also faster than switching scenes, when switching an AMP between X and Y.

I know. I used two amp and cab blocks in axe fx II. That way the switching was smooth with scenes.

Reactions: yek
Scene switching delay time seems to be related to the CPU usage. If you are using tons of effects, presets could be quicker. For minimal setups, scenes could be quicker.

Here's a video explaining it:

I think scenes work better if you are using the AX8 like a single channel amp with stomp pedals. You can set scenes to adjust amp gain and toggle drive pedals, etc. You may also not be able to have spillover with preset changing.

Back
Top Bottom