Preset Volume Matching

Use the Axe meters to average your presets. Gain stage the Axe into your set with the volume control. Get a Boss FS-6 two button footswitch and set it to where one button decreases the preset and one button increases it. Play your songs and +/- to taste. Utilizing this method bypasses the need to 'save' preset. Does it automatically. Leave this system set up for a few rehearsals and you will be about as fine tuned as it gets providing all else stable.
Oh that is a fantastic feature with having +- pedal calibrating the level on the fly. Sure it actually saves the setting after switching preset??? Wonder full if so. I NEED THAT. Do you have any link to setup of this or is it just to map like putting the tab tempo to a Boss pedal (just mapping to incr/decr).. Please reply to this as it is a vital function I could save a lot of time on...

Oh that is a fantastic feature with having +- pedal calibrating the level on the fly. Sure it actually saves the setting after switching preset??? Wonder full if so. I NEED THAT. Do you have any link to setup of this or is it just to map like putting the tab tempo to a Boss pedal (just mapping to incr/decr).. Please reply to this as it is a vital function I could save a lot of time on...

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2..._Dec_to_adjust_the_preset_level_while_playing

Using Vol Incr/Vol Decr to adjust the preset level while playing
  • There's a very convenient way to adjust the preset level on the fly (without manual editing): Volume Increment and Volume Decrement. These commands let you adjust the preset level in small steps while playing and the adjustments are saved automatically!
  • To make this work, assign these commands to switches on your foot controller. Vol Inc: MIDI CC 35, Vol Dec: MIDI CC 36. The MFC-101 has dedicated commands for this purpose.
  • Be aware:
    • Vol Inc and Vol Dec only affect the signal through Output 1, not Output 2 (unless Echo Output 1 is set to Output 2 in I/O and the preset doesn't contain a FXL block.
    • They work per scene.
  • Note that other unsaved changes will get saved too, when Vol Inc or Vol Dec is triggered.

Your method works of course, but that is a lot of reserved volume on the preset side of things. Have you tried increasing the front panel out knob during the gig? Just curious how you got to the 12 dB range idea vs turning up.

I'm just uncoordinated- diddling with my guitar volume knob that differently affects distortion and output level for different patches or scenes... that's pushing my limits at my present level of development. So the way I set up the foot pedal is basically a surrogate for access to the main volume knob on the rack unit. I can barely reach my pickup selectors and volume/tone knobs in the heat of battle, but I'm learning. Most of my music life I haven't used these controls in a dynamic manner so it's a new skill I'm developing.

Last night I found this 12dB range volume pedal actually worked really well for me. It's a great crutch when you don't have your patches and scenes dialed in, or you think you have them set in a level way but don't take into account the different way you will play with the patches/scenes and how loud or quiet the other musicians are at the moments when you are playing in that way.

Edit: In the past I tried using the Scene Vol Incr and Decr IA switches but I found it just randomly screwed up my settings because I use generic patches for multiple songs and each song requires different settings. That's why I just took off the Vol Incr/Decr IA switches in favor the footpedal with 12dB volume range. I surrendered to the inconsistency of the environment and embraced the flexibility to react in the moment with as little thought or tweaking as possible.

Use the Axe meters to average your presets. Gain stage the Axe into your set with the volume control. Get a Boss FS-6 two button footswitch and set it to where one button decreases the preset and one button increases it. Play your songs and +/- to taste. Utilizing this method bypasses the need to 'save' preset. Does it automatically. Leave this system set up for a few rehearsals and you will be about as fine tuned as it gets providing all else stable.
This is exactly how I do it.

That sounds like a fantastic idea,but have no idea where to plug FS-6,and whatever preparation needs to be done,I'm getting around the Axe slightly better but still a noob.Would you mind explaining how to set this up?
Thanking you in advance

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2..._Dec_to_adjust_the_preset_level_while_playing

• There's a very convenient way to adjust the preset level on the fly (without manual editing): Volume Increment and Volume Decrement. These commands let you adjust the preset level in small steps while playing and the adjustments are saved automatically!
  • To make this work, assign these commands to switches on your foot controller. Vol Inc: MIDI CC 35, Vol Dec: MIDI CC 36. The MFC-101 has dedicated commands for this purpose.
  • Be aware:
    • Vol Inc and Vol Dec only affect the signal through Output 1, not Output 2 (unless Echo Output 1 is set to Output 2 in I/O and the preset doesn't contain a FXL block.
    • They work per scene.
  • Note that other unsaved changes will get saved too, when Vol Inc or Vol Dec is triggered.
Thank's a lot. Really a nice feature. The problem with manual inc/dec of volume is you are not playing real-time when adjusting and always making the adjustment several times over and over. With this I can do it on the fly when playing with the others in the band. Super tip.

Thanks you works perfect. Which volume parameter is changed by this? Cannot see anything in Axe-edit changing.....

Ok. Not updated in Axe edit before switching to another preset and back but thats ok. Just worried now you say that the other problem might be related to different setting of this slide then I cannot use this automatic incr/decr volume with auto save.. Bt ok one thing a a time :) You are very help full right now so ......

• Be aware:
    • They work per scene.

Just an additional note for anyone new to this method- my approach for using this is more to help me get my preset/scene levels dialed in during rehearsal, etc. on the fly (or when I've been working on new presets). I'll go into my presets at home afterwards and adjust my main amp levels and boost/drive/EQ/PEQ levels per preset/scene based on what values I ended up with in the output block and then "zero out" the output block to take it out of the equation.Not the only way to approach this, but it's how I do it. I don't typically use the inc/decr much after that to keep things more simple when playing in a live situation.

I agree with the suggestions to keep things as simple as possible and don't use too many presets or jump all over the place with lots of different amp/cab pairings during a set. Unless you have your own soundman on every gig, I think that' just asking for trouble. Even the pro players who have multiple amps on stage are often either running them all together, blended to get one sound (usually altering it w/ a few pedals) or they've got a separate rig for clean and a rig for dirt.

Back
Top Bottom