Preset to both power amp/real cab as well as FOH (or DAW for recording)

Rekster

Experienced
Now that I am in love with using a tube power amp / real cabinet I'm trying to rework my presets with two signal flows. One with PA OFF and no cab block, the second with PA ON and a cab block. This way I get the real cabinet tone in the room while I'm playing but I can also can send with an IR to my DAW or to FOH. The problem is in order to do this I have to have two full signal paths for each, replicating effects in each one.

Path 1-> PA OFF in AMP block & no cab block
Path 2-> PA ON in AMP block & cab block

Attached is an image of my preset.

Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 8.38.51 AM.png

Is there a better way I can handle this or because I want both PA ON in one and PA OFF in the other am I forced to duplicate each block and have two independent signal paths? Other than CPU usage it's not a big deal, just aggravation and I have to make sure if I change settings in one of my effect blocks that I replicate in the second as well.

Sup? :)

You could put your cab block as the last block before your output to your PA/DAW, and branch off just before it to send to the real amp and cab.

MOSHON
DAVE

Now that I am in love with using a tube power amp / real cabinet I'm trying to rework my presets with two signal flows. One with PA OFF and no cab block, the second with PA ON and a cab block. This way I get the real cabinet tone in the room while I'm playing but I can also can send with an IR to my DAW or to FOH. The problem is in order to do this I have to have two full signal paths for each, replicating effects in each one.

Path 1-> PA OFF in AMP block & no cab block
Path 2-> PA ON in AMP block & cab block

Attached is an image of my preset.

View attachment 98733

Is there a better way I can handle this or because I want both PA ON in one and PA OFF in the other am I forced to duplicate each block and have two independent signal paths? Other than CPU usage it's not a big deal, just aggravation and I have to make sure if I change settings in one of my effect blocks that I replicate in the second as well.

Sup? :)

You could put your cab block as the last block before your output to your PA/DAW, and branch off just before it to send to the real amp and cab.

MOSHON
DAVE

What he said. I do this with all my presets so I can use amp/cab and FOH at same time.

Move your cab block to end of chain. Just before Out1. And branch off before it to send Out2 a non cab signal.

I know we conventionally assume amp and cab have to be side by side, but if you think about it, they're not side by side in real life ( FX loop). I remember reading some nuances for why you shouldn't do this, (stereo reverb or delay issues or something) but for 99% of applications it is perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks so much for taking the time to respond. But unfortunately it isn't that simple. I'm using a tube power amp and so I need power amp modelling OFF for that signal path. But I need power amp modelling ON for FOH/DAW. The only way I can see to do that is to have two separate Amp blocks. Which means two separate signal paths. If PA modelling wasn't embedded in the AMP block, then I could just branch off and have a cab block for FOH/DAW.

I take it your preference is to have the chorus/flanger/modulation effects after the amp block. If you haven't tried those before the amp block, you may find that it doesn't sound that different unless your using a some wide stereo stuff. I'm sure someone will have a clever solution though. I'm trying to think it through and can't figure out how to without making some controllers. Even then I'd have to think that through a little further. I'll be following this thread

Hey guys, thanks so much for taking the time to respond. But unfortunately it isn't that simple. I'm using a tube power amp and so I need power amp modelling OFF for that signal path. But I need power amp modelling ON for FOH/DAW. The only way I can see to do that is to have two separate Amp blocks. Which means two separate signal paths. If PA modelling wasn't embedded in the AMP block, then I could just branch off and have a cab block for FOH/DAW.

Oohhhhh sorry I use SS power amp. In your case there is no other solution than to run 2 amp blocks. Sorry man..... Or use 1 amp block with or without impedance curve but of course 1 tone will suffer depending on whether you choose with or without IC.

Ah, you really don't need to turn off PA modeling even if you're using a tube PA.

Assuming there's any appreciable delta whatsoever between the model(s) and your tube PA, the signals will differ anyhow. Leave it off and you hit the direct out with no PA component, turn it on and you get 2x with the tube PA.

You could run completely separate chains like you've posted, but if you're running into DSP issues you could also fake the funk with a corrective EQ on either/both outputs. It may not pass a clinical blind test, but an audience will never know.

Ah, you really don't need to turn off PA modeling even if you're using a tube PA.

You could run completely separate chains like you've posted, but if you're running into DSP issues you could also fake the funk with a corrective EQ on either/both outputs. It may not pass a clinical blind test, but an audience will never know.

Agree.

Back
Top Bottom