Preset Switching Latency

I usually don't change patches within a song - just add/subtract fx using the IA switches, but, yes, when I do, the latency is horrible! And, it happens to me without the USB cable plugged in. And my patches are pretty SIMPLE too! This, plus the looper limitiations and the spillover issues is (are) my big complaint(s). I WISH WISH WISH that the Axe II acted MORE like a bunch of stomboxes on the floor controlled by a switcher. I have had two main iterations of this:

1) All my stomp boxes controlled by an ancient Boss switcher. This was back circa 1984. Was FANTASTIC! 2) Was all my rack and floor stuff, all controlled by a Switchblade unit - 1990s until I got my Ultra in 2007, I think. - also fantastic.

Both were virtually instantaneous. And often, just using one delay unit (a Memory man in iteration 1 and a PCM-42 and, later, a D-Two in the 2nd iteration) had NO spillover issues (i.e. spillover worked 'as expected' - now I even get spillover when I switch between two patches that have a delay block, but the block on the 'before' and the 'after' patch both default (and are set at default when I make the switch) as OFF - WTF?

Of course, the plus of the Axe: no moody tube amps. LOTS of amp sounds. LOTS of fx I never had before. And ll my FX in 3 units (AXE II, PCM-70, Boomerang). Oh, and great foot controller with massive capabilities (including switching my PCM-70 patches while I switch my Axe patches) - my Liquid Foot Pro (soon to be a Pro+!!!).

Still, I wish Fractal would make a reapportionment of development energies: less on new amps. Less on new modeling technologies. More on a 'real' looper (i.e. 'global' above all effects and with capbilities of more 'talented' loopers like the 'Rang. More on FAST patch changes. More on spillover. More on the concept of the axe as faithfully emulating an amp, and a buch of discrete effects and a switching unit. I can tell ya: i never, ever, ever had a situation where I switched between two patchs where my delay was off, only to suddenly have a delay spillover on the 2nd patch. Maybe I'll figure out how to stop it, but, frankly, I shouldn't have to: if we were emulating the 'real world', and you were feeding, let's say, a serial path through a delay unit, and that unit was bypassed, changing the patching to another path involving the same unit would not provoke the sudden 'appearance' of signal coming out of that unit. It would stay bypassed. That is reasonable, and what is to be expected. Or so I thought.

I usually don't change patches within a song - just add/subtract fx using the IA switches, but, yes, when I do, the latency is horrible! And, it happens to me without the USB cable plugged in. And my patches are pretty SIMPLE too! This, plus the looper limitiations and the spillover issues is (are) my big complaint(s). I WISH WISH WISH that the Axe II acted MORE like a bunch of stomboxes on the floor controlled by a switcher. I have had two main iterations of this:

1) All my stomp boxes controlled by an ancient Boss switcher. This was back circa 1984. Was FANTASTIC! 2) Was all my rack and floor stuff, all controlled by a Switchblade unit - 1990s until I got my Ultra in 2007, I think. - also fantastic.

Both were virtually instantaneous. And often, just using one delay unit (a Memory man in iteration 1 and a PCM-42 and, later, a D-Two in the 2nd iteration) had NO spillover issues (i.e. spillover worked 'as expected' - now I even get spillover when I switch between two patches that have a delay block, but the block on the 'before' and the 'after' patch both default (and are set at default when I make the switch) as OFF - WTF?

Of course, the plus of the Axe: no moody tube amps. LOTS of amp sounds. LOTS of fx I never had before. And ll my FX in 3 units (AXE II, PCM-70, Boomerang). Oh, and great foot controller with massive capabilities (including switching my PCM-70 patches while I switch my Axe patches) - my Liquid Foot Pro (soon to be a Pro+!!!).

Still, I wish Fractal would make a reapportionment of development energies: less on new amps. Less on new modeling technologies. More on a 'real' looper (i.e. 'global' above all effects and with capbilities of more 'talented' loopers like the 'Rang. More on FAST patch changes. More on spillover. More on the concept of the axe as faithfully emulating an amp, and a buch of discrete effects and a switching unit. I can tell ya: i never, ever, ever had a situation where I switched between two patchs where my delay was off, only to suddenly have a delay spillover on the 2nd patch. Maybe I'll figure out how to stop it, but, frankly, I shouldn't have to: if we were emulating the 'real world', and you were feeding, let's say, a serial path through a delay unit, and that unit was bypassed, changing the patching to another path involving the same unit would not provoke the sudden 'appearance' of signal coming out of that unit. It would stay bypassed. That is reasonable, and what is to be expected. Or so I thought.

Seems like the way I do things would work well for you. I still have all but 1 IA setup for stomps when needed, but when thought out a bit, I rarely do. Don't know if you read my post, but would the way I'm doing it work for you? If your needs are more complicated, Clarky's preset method may do the trick.

haaa Dweezel once said that the Axe-II is like a Swiss Army Knife..
like you can make it bend pretty much any which way to meet your needs...

he was spot on wasn't he...

I spend my real first evening with the axe fx, I use scene and it works! no gap no latency:perfect.

Now I have to find a way to create single presets for each song. I made two of them tonight...not so easy, axe edit don't work very fine, and I encounter difficulty to copy/patch amp or cab I like, but no doubt I find a way.

Thanks everybody for your greats advices , this evening it was hard to stop play guitar!!!Love my axe :)

when I get a spare mo, I'm going to run a few experiments with scenes
something I've been meaning to do for a while but not got around to yet..

Seems like the way I do things would work well for you. I still have all but 1 IA setup for stomps when needed, but when thought out a bit, I rarely do. Don't know if you read my post, but would the way I'm doing it work for you? If your needs are more complicated, Clarky's preset method may do the trick.

Gotta admit - your way sounds like more than I need! I think that once I really get deep into scenes, it'll do what I want, when I want. But if not, I will certainly experiment with your approach, and Clarky's. Thanks!

You can make anything sound like anything, if you take it out of context: "as faithfully emulating an amp, and a buch of discrete effects and a switching unit."

I'm sorry, I didn't want to. I misunderstood so please accept my apologizes.

Gotta admit - your way sounds like more than I need! I think that once I really get deep into scenes, it'll do what I want, when I want. But if not, I will certainly experiment with your approach, and Clarky's. Thanks!

Really not too complicated once you start thinking out your presets like this. I use it now for a master template, and change out an efx block here or there to accomadate specialty sounds for specific songs. Compared to Clarky's presets, mine are the equivalent of running a guitar into a Boss DS-1 Distortion and then into a Fender Blues Jr., lol. But again, once your specific needs are met within the preset, there is no switching, latency etc. to deal with, and all your presets start to utilize the same template or slightly modified variations of it. It becomes very easy, and because my Expression Pedals, the single IA needed for Solo tones, and my IA's assigned to Effect Blocks or Functions always do the same thing from preset to preset, it becomes a global solution for all your needs. Looking forward to what's coming with FW10, but unless it really changes my ability to use different modifiers for X/Y states and between Scenes, the way I have it now is more functional and flexible. I used to use a Bradshaw switching system, a ridiculous number of pedals and rack gear and thought it was pretty flexible and functional as well........................the control I have now with the AxeII and my method of setting up presets blows it away, best control and tone I've ever experienced!

all us guitary player types have our own specific playing environments and needs...
but this is the cool thing with the Axe.. it offers many mays to 'skin the cat'..
which is especially good given that all of our cats are a little different in their own ways...

I'd suggest you have a good experiment with x-y, scenes and modifiers..
they're not as difficult to mess with as it can initially appear..
when developing a preset build from the ground up it helps to fully understand the various strengths and weaknesses of all the options..
then have a good think about what will meet your needs..
then no doubt you'll end up with a system that is a little of everything and unique to you...
now you know you are really hitting the spot..

tip - start with the small and basic, but principle control / switching behaviours first
nail each layer of functionality one by one, not only in how to configure it, but also in understanding how it behaves [especially with respect to what you've configured thus far]..
so one by one, you add layers of capability in small and easy [to get to grips with] bites..
the complexity is not there by the initial design.. it's something that grows and develops as you add more 'stuff' to your preset..
this really is the realms of plug'n'play...
it's a lot of fun too finding out the many hoops you can get your lil' black box to jump though...
enjoy....

Back
Top Bottom