Preset Switching Latency

It's an Axe-FX II improvement. All else will be revealed soon... ;).

Adam.

You're doing it again.

STOP TEASING ME!

Within the roar of our not even very loud band, I can't tell any dropouts. I'm usually glad if I can tell I'm actually making sound...

Maybe I should turn it up a little?

Kidding aside, do you guys actually notice while the rest is playing that there's milliseconds of silence between patches?

With the FCB with UnO, BTW, there's quite a bit of info being sent with the PC, like up to seven IA commands. With midi that takes ages.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
Well even if there is a short latency, I never felt it being really noticable. The stuff the Topic Opener described seems to be solved (as it was a problem with Axe-Edit, not the Axe itself).

Other than that, the latency between switching presets increases a lot over a certain CPU usage treshold. I think that should be mentioned in a FAQ somewhere as this issue seems to come up very often recently.

But looking forward to the upcoming Firmware update. :)

I don't think X-Y is any quicker.. you may perceive it as being smoother because you maintain the reverb / delay tails

it you want seemless switching, use two amp blocks within the same preset and set an IA or XS switch to cut between them by assigning their bypass [set to mute] to a modifier

No, I don't really use reverb and delay. The delay is quite noticeable e.g. If you're playing clean then goe to dirt on the downstroke there will be a delay before the patch switches over. It sounds very messy like you have no sense of timing. This doesn't happen with X/Y. And this is with fairly basic patches and very basic changes on the MFC.

Cheers.

Soma - if you go to the previous page you'll see I put 4 audio files there..
the 2nd from top and bottom ones are a clean tone presets with a soloing tone within the same preset..
check it out and pay close attention to the transition between the two tones..
you'll find that there is no delay at all..
this is the principle benefit of multi-functional preset building

The key is don't hit switch on downbeat if the solo begns on beat 1. Hit switch on beat 3 of previous bar. It takes a while getting used to, but not much different than guys that use guitar volume knob to go from rhythym to solo.

No, I don't really use reverb and delay. The delay is quite noticeable e.g. If you're playing clean then goe to dirt on the downstroke there will be a delay before the patch switches over. It sounds very messy like you have no sense of timing. This doesn't happen with X/Y. And this is with fairly basic patches and very basic changes on the MFC.

Cheers.

I never notice any latency that I deem bad with mine. I mean there are a lot of things going on when you switch and to expect something that is immediate is unrealistic. I'm the only guitarist in my band and we have no keyboards....so if it were an issue it would be apparent in my situation. It isn't

I never notice any latency that I deem bad with mine. I mean there are a lot of things going on when you switch and to expect something that is immediate is unrealistic. I'm the only guitarist in my band and we have no keyboards....so if it were an issue it would be apparent in my situation. It isn't

to be honest, I'd imagine that the whole 'issue / non-issue' thing depends a great deal upon the style of music you play and also upon your approach to it as a musician

I guess I'm one of the unlucky one's that cannot tollerate any drops by virtue of the nature of my work..

Dropout is only 20-30 ms. If you are experiencing more than that then your MIDI controller is not programmed properly. Axe-Edit does introduce significant latency and drop-outs but that should be addressed with the new version.

Firm believer in the "there are no stupid questions" ideology....

How would a midi controller (in this case, the MFC) be programmed incorrectly for latency? My problem with switching is not only a dropout, but also a weird "verbish/noise" kind of pop.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll check out the suggestions. In case it matters I'm talking about going from a clean rhythm sound to a dirty rhythm sound, e.g. the change happens going from the verse to the chorus of the song. So the change needs to be very precise.

Cheers.

and that's exactly what I have...
the Hiwatt is my clean amp, the 5153Red is the soloing amp in the same preset..

when I hit the XS1 switch, the Hiwatt mutes and the Red becomes active [along with the delay and a pile of other stuff]
no drop, no clicks.. it's seemless

Firm believer in the "there are no stupid questions" ideology....

How would a midi controller (in this case, the MFC) be programmed incorrectly for latency? My problem with switching is not only a dropout, but also a weird "verbish/noise" kind of pop.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Since the basic switching speed of the presets is extremly fast (and I don't believe anyone would complain about a gap) all humps and bumps come from things that get sent after the program change command, mainly CC-commands that switch something like X/Y, drives, eqs and so on.

Anything that you set up in the midi ctrl menu to be switched directly by a CC gets turned off by the axe-fx when you switch presets and need an new CC command from the mfc to get turned on again. Since the axe-fx mode of the mfc works the same way, even using this mode doesn't help to get rid of that behavior.

For now you can use exterenal modifiers (Ext 1-12) of the Axe-Fx to smooth things. External modifiers don't loose their value when you switch presets. In the new preset the value of the external modifier get's reflected at once. You don't need to send a new CC to turn things on again, they are already on.

I say for now. Let's see what we get next.

Kidding aside, do you guys actually notice while the rest is playing that there's milliseconds of silence between patches?

If you are used to analog rigs and trying to tap dance on your pedal board a full measure before a change, and sing, and not look down, and look like you are having a good time, even if you accidently hit the phase shifter when you really meant to hit your long delay pedal...

Then hitting the MFC and getting a 20ms delay between preset changes, is not the end of the world :)

Richard

Awesome, so the Axe-FX III rumors are true!

(For those of you who don't know me... I'm kidding)

Back
Top Bottom