Preset/Scene switching confusion

Mborey

Maybe someone can help me understand how to switch "presets"? The scene mode needs to be activated before switching scenes. I just want to understand how to switch presets on the fly during songs without "tap dancing" on the pedals. I use the FX8 for channel switching on my amp as well. I have 5,6,7,8 programmed as presets to make this work for me now but I'm wondering if there is a simpler way?

Ive had mine a week, and am still wrapping my brain around the scenes/presets...
Im coming from using a hd500, where I could use the bottom 4 buttons to switch patches, and the top 4 to toggle on certain effects.
Ive not tried that this way w fx8, as they clam using scenes is best. So far, I can manage 8 scenes on one patch and just use those for most songs. But, I am going to try to set it up the way I used to do things, and see if there is lag between presets.

There shouldn’t be any lag between presets on an FX8. I don't understand the OP's question but here's a super basic primer on presets vs scenes:

- presets are like taking your pedalboard and swapping all the pedals out with new pedals. Different settings, different order, etc.

- scenes are like using a loop switcher, where you can turn multiple effects on and off at the same time. The layout and settings are constant though, as you are working with one preset (one "pedalboard").

Both scenes and presets can be assigned and accessed via any of the 8 footswitches, and there are dedicated Single/Sticky Preset and Scene footswitch modes that can be accessed via the F switches.

The manual will be a huge help here.

Last edited:
Ive had mine a week, and am still wrapping my brain around the scenes/presets...
Im coming from using a hd500, where I could use the bottom 4 buttons to switch patches, and the top 4 to toggle on certain effects.
Ive not tried that this way w fx8, as they clam using scenes is best. So far, I can manage 8 scenes on one patch and just use those for most songs. But, I am going to try to set it up the way I used to do things, and see if there is lag between presets.
I had the HD 500 as well. I set my FX8 exactly the the same as that. The bottom 4 switches change the presets and the top 4 are assigned to FX.
I don't particularly care for the way I have to change scenes on this unit though. Because I had to assign 4 switches as a presets, I'm wondering if there's a better way to change presets. I guess that's my real question. I'm new to Fractal so I must be missing something....

I had the HD 500 as well. I set my FX8 exactly the the same as that. The bottom 4 switches change the presets and the top 4 are assigned to FX.
I don't particularly care for the way I have to change scenes on this unit though. Because I had to assign 4 switches as a presets, I'm wondering if there's a better way to change presets. I guess that's my real question. I'm new to Fractal so I must be missing something....
F1 can be set to SINGLE PRESET or STICKY PRESET. When you activate preset mode in this way, FS1 - FS8 change to the corresponding preset in the current bank, and F2/F3 become BANK UP/DN.

F1 can be set to SINGLE PRESET or STICKY PRESET. When you activate preset mode in this way, FS1 - FS8 change to the corresponding preset in the current bank, and F2/F3 become BANK UP/DN.

So, here is what ive come up w as a former hd500 user...

I set up blocks of 4 presets. Any bank, 1 for clean, 2 for a little od, 3 for rhythm, 4 for lead. All w the effects i want for those settings. I then also have a few fx that i like to toggle on or off. I set those up on footswitches 5-8. I then program footswitches 1_4, for presets 1, 2, 3, and 4.

This way, i always have access to my main 4 presets across the bottom, and secondary fx accross the top. I can also set up scenes on footswitches 5-8 to toggle multiple fx on off.

I can then do a whole other set of patches on 5,6,7,8 the same way for other things i need for other songs.

This way, i can have noisegate off when i want it off, and the least amount of fx in my signal chain per preset.

This so far is the only way i could figure out how to make the fx8 work the way I used hd500. The only downside, no spillover. Which is why I think they came up w scenes to begin with.

You can have spillover across presets, btw. It's a global setting, and it works best when the incoming preset has similar reverb or delay settings.

Only, if you have the exact same delay or verb type, and, it has to be on.

It also has to be in the same or similar effect position (a verb after a Drive versus a verb before a Drive will cause a different spillover sound). My point was that preset spillover is possible.

I'm trying to do the same thing with my FX8. I want to work it like I did with my Ground Control Pro. I want the 8 switches to switch between presets or similar to the way you have it. I'm not trying to tap dance

I'm trying to do the same thing with my FX8. I want to work it like I did with my Ground Control Pro. I want the 8 switches to switch between presets or similar to the way you have it. I'm not trying to tap dance

Joe Rogers (6 posts above) provided an answer.

i am still searching for an answer here too. i want to program presets to switch 1-8. the function button allows you to change once. stil putting a single pedal on a footswitch. can someone make sense of this?

EDIT: i have found the global footswitches. For me this is perfect, i made 4 presets at the bottom and 4 scenes above to make them more/ or less dramatic

Last edited:
i am still searching for an answer here too. i want to program presets to switch 1-8. the function button allows you to change once. stil putting a single pedal on a footswitch. can someone make sense of this?

EDIT: i have found the global footswitches. For me this is perfect, i made 4 presets at the bottom and 4 scenes above to make them more/ or less dramatic
I find myself lusting after an additional four footswitch buttons. I compromise by using the bottom four as scenes 1-3 and Delay x/y. Top four are assigned to blocks and mostly used for programming - I hardly ever touch them during performance.

How?

I use the top row for the blocks I will either change most in a preset, or want to see when they are on/off.

The bottom row is for pre-set scenes (verse, chorus & solo) & a volume boost per filter block.

Using X/Y I have it so my boost is 1db on the 1st two rhythm scenes & 4db on the lead scene #3.
Photo%20Jul%2014%2C%208%2016%2000%20PM.jpg

Each preset is named by the song & BPM that is saved automatically in each preset. I can & do over-ride this w/ tap tempo to the drummer when things are faster or slower as well.

I use the blinking led for the tap tempo when I start a song as it matches the original songs BPM.

My expression pedal is always set for auto wah too....I use the Clyde wah in the FX8 on every preset except "Slither" by Slash & Velvet Revolver.

This is just one way to do things, but this works great live for me w/ no issues at all.

X

I build a preset for each song, example --> A1 (Song 1), A2 (Song 2), A3 (Song 3) ....
Each song will have scenes, example ---> Inro, chorus, lead, .....
I use the F1 and F2 button to toggle through scenes (songs)

For each gig, I use the fractal Preset Manager to arrange the songs in order for each show.

I use a system similar to X-mann. I have a preset for each song we do, the bottom left foot switch on each preset is set to scene 1/2 toggle next to it I have scene 3. I use the top row of foot switches for individual effects that I may want to change on the fly and clean/dirty amp switching.
To change presets I press and hold the top "F" switch and then I have access to presets 1-8 for each bank, and can bank up and down with the other 2 "F" switches.

Check out page 22 of the user manual there is a way to lock 2 of the "F" switches to preset up/preset down. I don't do this right now, but I may change it in the future.

For each gig, I use the fractal Preset Manager to arrange the songs in order for each show.

Having just completed my first tour with the FX8, I'm considering making a preset per song (we only play up to 6 songs in a set) and it's great to know there's a preset manager I can find to organize for each tour. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom