Wish Preset/Scene Level Calibrator

Casimir

Inspired
It seems people spend a lot of time leveling presets and scenes. I think leveling in Fractal is as good as it gets at the moment, but it would be mind blowingly cool if there was a "Calibrate Level" feature for presets and scenes, similar to expression pedal calibration.

How it could work, is there could be a button or keyboard shortcut in the editor to "Calibrate Preset Level", and "Calibrate Scene Level". After pressing the button, it would prompt you to play as loudly as possible. The unit would record the "peak level", and adjust the output level for the preset or scene to be exactly 0db for the sample.

I think most people have this process when they want to level presets or scenes.
  1. CTRL + L or go to leveling tool or select the output block.
  2. Play loud
  3. Make a mental note of how many DB the peak was over/under 0db
  4. Adjust the amp level (or the output/scene level)
  5. Repeat steps 2-4 until preset/scene tickles the red
  6. Play multiple presets/scenes in a mix, and adjust based off of perceived volume
My idea would be to just automate steps 2-5, but update the output/scene level, so steps 2-4 would not need repeated. Basically, the leveling tool would adjust the output level for presets, or the scene level for scenes to be 0db at your peak playing during the calibration. After calibrating, the levels could still be adjusted later.

Calibration would only affect the current preset and scene. If you want to level all 8 scenes, you would have to do the calibration on all 8 of the scenes.

Last edited:
Automatic leveling assumes that you want all of your presets and scenes to have the same measured level. That’s not the same as having the same perceived level, and it’s definitely not the same as having your lead scene louder than your rhythm scene.

Bottom line: automated leveling is almost guaranteed to deliver results you don’t want.

Automatic leveling assumes that you want all of your presets and scenes to have the same measured level. That’s not the same as having the same perceived level, and it’s definitely not the same as having your lead scene louder than your rhythm scene.

Bottom line: automated leveling is almost guaranteed to deliver results you don’t want.
I agree that completely automated leveling would be undesirable. My idea is essentially just automating the process we all do when we start leveling our presets. I updated the top post with this info as it fleshes out my thinking in the implementation.

I think most people have this process when they want to level presets or scenes.
  2. Play loud
  6. Play multiple presets/scenes in a mix, and adjust based off of perceived volume
My idea would be to just automate steps 2-5, but update the output/scene level, so steps 2-4 would not need repeated. Basically, the leveling tool would have a "Calibrate Preset", and a "Calibrate Scene" button that would adjust the output level for presets, or the scene level for scenes to be 0db at your peak playing during the calibration. After calibrating, the levels could still be adjusted later.

Calibration would only affect the current preset and scene. If you want to level all 8 scenes, you would have to do the calibration on all 8 of the scenes.

Last edited:
It seems people spend a lot of time leveling presets and scenes. I think leveling in Fractal is as good as it gets at the moment, but it would be mind blowingly cool if there was a "Calibrate Level" feature for presets and scenes, similar to expression pedal calibration.

How it could work, is there could be a button or keyboard shortcut in the editor to "Calibrate Preset Level", and "Calibrate Scene Level". After pressing the button, it would prompt you to play as loudly as possible. The unit would record the "peak level", and adjust the output level for the preset or scene to be exactly 0db for the sample.

2. Play loud
My idea would be to just automate steps 2-5, but update the output/scene level, so steps 2-4 would not need repeated. Basically, the leveling tool would adjust the output level for presets, or the scene level for scenes to be 0db at your peak playing during the calibration. After calibrating, the levels could still be adjusted later.

Tickling the red is for input level, not output, if you tickle the reds on your output, then you're having a bit of digital clipping.

No, tickling the red on the output meter does not cause digital clipping.
this has been explained many times. You wanna tickle the reds on the inputs to have the best STNR.

If the output clipping LED comes up, you need to turn down the level on the grid somewhere, because the clipping occurs in the digital domain somewhere. You can do that in an effect block (Level parameter), or in the Global EQ (gain control) or in the output mixer in the Layout menu.

this has been explained many times. You wanna tickle the reds on the inputs to have the best STNR.

If the output clipping LED comes up, you need to turn down the level on the grid somewhere, because the clipping occurs in the digital domain somewhere. You can do that in an effect block (Level parameter), or in the Global EQ (gain control) or in the output mixer in the Layout menu.
My bad, I meant tickling the red inside the output block on the grid does not cause digital clipping. Red on the physical leds is clipping.

2. Play loud

I'd be happy if I could just get my TV to play the commercials at the same level as the show I'm watching. :)

I’d be quite happy just to get the Leveling Tool (ctrl+L or cmd+L) on the device itself. Something to give more accurate amp block levels than what the current VU meters are showing.

I’d be quite happy just to get the Leveling Tool (ctrl+L or cmd+L) on the device itself. Something to give more accurate amp block levels than what the current VU meters are showing.

It's there, it just doesn't have it's own dedicated screen like it did in the Axe II. It's integrated into the layout screen in the III.

Go to the Layout view (push the B knob or the big value knob at the home screen) and then zoom out to the full grid view by pushing the A knob. It will give you the VU meters for both Output 1 and 2 complete with a numerical dB readout above the grid. If you highlight the amp block in the layout view, you can then use the C knob to adjust the block level.

Last edited:
You can just use a loudness meter in your DAW maybe? Would be nice to have it in AXE but not necessary I suppose.

It's there, it just doesn't have it's own dedicated screen like it did in the Axe II. It's integrated into the layout screen in the III.

Go to the Layout view (push the B knob or the big value knob at the home screen) and then zoom out to the full grid view by pushing the A knob. It will give you the VU meters for both Output 1 and 2 complete with a numerical dB readout above the grid. If you highlight the amp block in the layout view, you can then use the C knob to adjust the block level.
This is awesome, thanks! I’ll have to try that tomorrow.
You can just use a loudness meter in your DAW maybe? Would be nice to have it in AXE but not necessary I suppose.
It’s easier than having to carry a laptop with everywhere, and yet being able to dial in a patch precisely. Or make subtle tweaks to an existing patch. I generally have no problem dialing patches in from scratch on the FM3 itself. It was the leveling that threw me a bit. Can’t wait to try Mr_Fender’s tip!

Back
Top Bottom