Closed Preset Quality

With vendors offering presets that are BETTER than what you get with the unit, why not license those presets, load them on the unit and increase the price slightly to cover the cost? In this manner, the presets from the Vendors would cost less (since it would be purchased for EVERY unit), we would automatically have them, and we wouldn't have to invest so much time tweaking. As an example, Leon Todd has provided a number of tweaking videos that routinely apply the same fine adjustments, and they work. Uncertain why those tweaks are not done automatically, as it would make the stock presets sound better from the get-go.

With vendors offering presets that are BETTER than what you get with the unit, why not license those presets, load them on the unit and increase the price slightly to cover the cost? In this manner, the presets from the Vendors would cost less (since it would be purchased for EVERY unit), we would automatically have them, and we wouldn't have to invest so much time tweaking. As an example, Leon Todd has provided a number of tweaking videos that routinely apply the same fine adjustments, and they work. Uncertain why those tweaks are not done automatically, as it would make the stock presets sound better from the get-go.

BETTER is subjective.

I think the factory material is excellent, for starters as well as to demonstrate capabilities. If you haven't discovered that, you probably haven't explored them enough.

Leon creates excellent hi-gain stuff. But if a user is not interested in hi-gain, why would he/she have to pay extra for that content as factory presets?

Some users delete all factory content. Why would they have to pay extra for Vendor-created content?

Etc.

For me this would take away the fun of finding your own sound and experimenting :)

To play devils advocate on ....myself.... though.... it could potentially allow you to learn what sounds good to your ears more quickly by checking settings of a preset you love.

IMO the majority of the factory presets are great. I think a lot of people are making the same mistake I did in the beginning and are auditioning the them in their original state, forgetting to enable the blocks that are bypassed by default.

Many presets have compressor, drive, and delay blocks bypassed by default and/or attached to control switches.

IMO the majority of the factory presets are great. I think a lot of people are making the same mistake I did in the beginning and are auditioning the them in their original state, forgetting to enable the blocks that are bypassed by default.

Many presets have compressor, drive, and delay blocks bypassed by default and/or attached to control switches.
For me, they work great with strats or such guitars but not with high output pickups

Rather subjective thing. I think a lot of vendors stuff sounds like crap, and other stuff I like. That doesn’t mean it is crap of course, just that it’s not to my taste it doesn’t work well in my rig etc.

I think there are some very good presets for what it’s worth, but with as subjective as it is, best to tweak anything to taste.

I certainly wouldn’t want to pay extra for stuff that I may not like or of a style I’m not into. Like why add the price for metal stuff if I don’t want that style ?

why not let people buy what they want, if they like a certain vendors product, that way the vendor is directly supported and everyone is getting what they want.

Some people might think that the ones you propose sound bad, or not their thing. I like learning the unit on my own IMHO. Also have you ever in your life heard someone say "god these stock presets are great!".... literally rare as hens teeth.

I could see having the presets level matched a little better. That would be my biggest (although very very minor) gripe. (ie on scale of 1 to 10 it would be a 1)

I'm not sure that they're better, they're just different. I appreciate that people are spending time trying to match songs and tweaking to get a preset just so, but having purchased expensive packs I don't find them significantly better than the stock presets. I never use them as is and have to tweak to get the sound I want.

Plus, I'm not a metal player, and want to hear the device being used in various genres, and the factory presets do that nicely. I'd like the FX3 to have more scenes defined in the presets, like the FM3 does, but that's my own nit-picking.

Fractal's choice of presets beat the heck out of the weird noises I've heard in the factory presets for the "H" modeler.

What if there was just a factory upgrade to presets that would sell those that want it a curated pack of additional presets from preset developers? The preset devs would probably make a little less but they would get the exposure of being on the preset pack

I think for a lot of people that dont use the presets they would rather have the cost savings

presets "sounding good" are totally dependent on what each individual user wants to hear.

to someone who has no need for edge of breakup Fender tones, they would call those factory presets "useless." for metal players, they are often seeking specific presets that match their favorite album tones, and if those aren't there, any high gain presets will be "useless."

it's impossible to have every type of tone desired as factory presets on any device. many enjoy the factory presets, and many don't. if the factory presets were changed, many would enjoy them and many wouldn't.

if an individual makes and sells presets with a specific tone in mind, i think that makes a preset "better for you" but maybe not "better" or "upgraded" in general.

Factory Presets are a starting point and examples of what the gear can do. there's no way majority of Factory Presets on any gear would work for majority of the people in the world. we've often seen people say the factory presets are useless when going through them for 5 seconds each when first getting the device, then later trying again and without any changes, it sounds good to them.

i'm pretty sure many people want to buy a modeler of any brand and it instantly sounds like exactly what they're looking for, without having to spend some time learning the device. who wouldn't want that? but with music, genre, and individual preferences varying so much, that is something easier said than done.

a common complaint is "this preset has too much bass." you may just have to reduce the bass control, but in my experience helping people 1-to-1, they don't want to have to do that. it should sound "perfect" already "because it's a modeler." that's just not how it works.

Factory Presets are a starting point and examples of what the gear can do.
So much yes!

It's a launching pad. People buy guitars, amps, pedals, plug them together, twiddle the knobs, and say they've found perfection, but... they buy a modeler, listen to a couple presets and complain because they're not exactly what they want?

HOW SPOILED IS THAT!?

Tweak the fricken' knobs, experiment, try!

A modeler is just like a pedal board, amp, cabinet, PLUS the recording studio or FOH system. Learn, and adapt, and grow as musicians.

And as addition, got this vendor presets preinstalled and dialing in YOUR preferred IR from other vendor, stock or even selfmade IRs or using your already existing Cab changes the sound completely and may fit or not.
There are so many possibilities to tweak that everyone who choose a modeller should try to learn a bit about his own device instead of seeking the perfect preset. Even the "best" vendor preset may need a little tweaking for your Cab, Headphones, FRFR to get your personal taste oft sound.

Not interested in spending any extra money for additional presets. I appreciate what those guys do, and there certainly is a market for it, but it's not giving me anything the unit can't already do on its own. I'd rather learn how to do it myself.

Many of the factory presets are fine to use anyway, especially in the context of a mix...I find myself turning off most of the 'sauce' (delay/reverb) as I'd rather track dry, but I've done many session tracks where the factory ones might need an EQ bump in post and that's about it. Maybe my use case is different than most.

Back
Top Bottom