since a while, a recalled preset immediately goes to "edited" state without
touching anything. This seems to happen to any preset (edited and factory
default).

Happened in 8.01a, 9.00 and 9.01, MFC firmware 2.13 and 2.15. Worked fine
earlier in 8.01a/2.13

Any clues how to find out who's guilty?

Best regards,
Daniel

Unplug the MFC and change presets on the axe. Does it still happen?

The MFC is probably sending tempo info or a block is saved as Engaged on the MFC but not the Axe preset.

Probably no big deal.

Excellent advise. Disconnecting the MFC solves the problem. Upon reconnect, I see
"MIDI IN" blinking for a second and "EDITED" lighting up. So indeed, it seems like the
MFC sends something. Now how to find out, what... :)

I have -re-saved two adjacent presets to make sure Axe and MFC are in sync about them,
but switching between those presets still exhibit the "immediately edited" problem. Any
further clues on how to find out what's going on?

MFC is in TotalSync, Preset mode.

Do you have an expression pedal attached to the MFC, and are you using it? That counts as a change that flags it as edited.

Do you have an expression pedal attached to the MFC, and are you using it? That counts as a change that flags it as edited.
on my rig, I have the Rocktron Midi Raider, I noticed the same thing. Upon inspection I found that the Axe defaults to blocks in the X state, but I had it saved to call up the Y state when a patch was selected. The edited light would come on everytime the patch was recalled. After rearranging things to have it call up the X state when the patch was selected, it solved the problem. I narrowed it down by unlinking one IA at a time and trying to recall the patch. Try the same thing, remove one IA at a time and check the patch. You need to make sure the IA is not linked to anything and is not sending any CC or Patch change data. The edited light will stay off when you have found the culprit. Once you have found it, see how you had it assigned, possibly it is calling up a block in the Y state, or doing something else that causes the edited light to come on. Like Chris said, it could be something as simple as tempo info. Good luck!

With an expression pedal, it's probably that, telling the axe where it is upon preset load. No biggie!

Yes, I have two Mission SP-1 connected as XP1+2 (EXT CNTRL 1+2) and XS1+2. The first one is mapped to Wah control (XS1= CC97, Wah on/off), the other one not used yet. The "immediate EDITED" happens wether they are connected to the MFC or not, doesn't matter. Anyway, XP/XS reporting on preset load should never render the preset "edited" as nothing memorable got edited in fact. If external controllers do count as preset "editing", I'd call that a bug.

This is happening to me also, but only when the MFC is connected. Many presets are immediately showing as "edited" when I switch to them. I can live with this if I know it is just a bug and is not changing the sound or values of the patch parameters. Does anyone, OP included, know if this is a "safe" bug and not affecting the tone? Would sure hate to be playing a quiet part of a song with distortion block switched on, etc.

Because you have saved the preset as FOR EXAMPLE 'reverb on' upon switching to it. The <insert pedal> is set up to enable reverb in the 'off' state. Axe II shows 'edited' (even though the edited state is not saved...)

Pay attention on what your MIDI pedal is doing.

R

I've noticed this happening recently (FW 9.0) when using Axe-edit. I have no controller connected. Closing and re-opening AE fixes this. Sometimes a full re-cycle is in order. Interestingly, not for a little while has that been necessary.

Because you have saved the preset as FOR EXAMPLE 'reverb on' upon switching to it. The <insert pedal> is set up to enable reverb in the 'off' state. Axe II shows 'edited' (even though the edited state is not saved...)

Pay attention on what your MIDI pedal is doing.

It happens for me with ALL presets (even factory, unmodified ones).

Master question is: how to find out what my MIDI pedal is doing which would lead to modification?
What exactly has to be verified/checked?

Sorry for being dense, but I don't really get it?!

It happens for me with ALL presets (even factory, unmodified ones).

Master question is: how to find out what my MIDI pedal is doing which would lead to modification?
What exactly has to be verified/checked?

Sorry for being dense, but I don't really get it?!

I can't tell you what your MIDI pedal is doing. I assume you save the PEDAL in a state that you want it to be in when you recall the preset. Drive off, REV on, compressor on, active...whatever. Now, the PRESET on the Axe II is saved in a state with maybe different things on/off. When those differ, THE AXE CALLS IT EDITED, if the delay is activated from the pedal. It's not * really * edited, it's just in a different state.

REALLY understand what the pedal is sending. Read the manual, etc.

The MIDI pedel is a MFC-101 in Axe-Sync-Mode. As such, I woudln't expect any discrepancy
between the Axe-FX and the MFC. My understanding is that the MFC is in that mode just
a slave to Axe's state, and after preset change, the IAs on the MFC reflect what has just
been recalled on the Axe as preset.

Given that there are >300 preset that I didn't modify at all (but "EDITED" lights up when
recalling those presets), and MFC being in "Axe-Sync" mode, I fail to see what could be the
problem.

Axe-FW 9.02a, MFC 2.15, so "newest public firmwares" I guess.

OK, I finally found the source of the problem. I've programmed XS2 to CC 59
(FX Loop Bypass):

XS2 #059 Ch1 TypHDW
XS2 Off 000 On 127

This way, I'm using one of my Mission SP-1 (modified to be usable as XS) to
control FX Loop Bypass (FX Loop has a Talkbox and Mic Preamp).

It looks like the Axe is irritated to get CC messages for the FX Loop bypass
mode when no FX Loop block is present in the presets YET (I currently only
insert it temporariliy, manually, when trying out the Talkbox). BTW, for the
testing nothing connected to the XS inputs of the MFC!

I have XS1 configured the same way, but on CC #97 (Wah Wah bypass).
With that one, I have no issues with EDITED LED lighting up, even when
switching to presets which do not contain a Wah block. Weird.

After some further twiddling, it looks like the problem is that if a XS sends
a "Bypass ON" CC to a block which does not exist in the preset, Axe considers
the preset EDITED.

I have now set XS2 set to OFF, configured XS3 as a MOMENTARY, Type HDW,
CC 59, Off 127, On 0, with a momentary footswitch connected to it. This way
I can temporarily engage the FX Loop Block while pressing the footswitch. I
have saved preset 012 with the FX Loop Block in the layout, bypassed. When
I now switch presets, I get EDITED, unless I'm going to preset 012 - which
has the FX LOOP block, in bypassed state.

I don't claim that I fully understand all that logic, but it smells to me that Axe's
handling of bypass CCs to non-existent blocks is broken. It should ignore those
and not light up the EDITED LED.

Does that make sense?

Back
Top Bottom