Preset Help!

Claude M

Inspired
Hey guys. I need an explanation on some settings on a preset that I see often, but I'm not smart enough to understand what is being done in that preset :)

Years ago (like most of us) I downloaded Rocco Pezzin's 4 free presets - JVM OD1, HBE, 5153 Red and PVH 6160 Block, which all sounded amazing!
The other day, I revisited those presets and incorporated Rocco's 5153 Red Amp, Cab, Delay and Reverb blocks into my live preset, substituting his blocks with all his settings. However, Rocco does some stuff in his preset that I don't understand, so if someone can help me, that'll be great. I'm attaching 4 screenshots so that I can explain things better.

Just to let you understand my setup, I'm running IEM - no FRFR or speaker on stage - stereo out 1 and 2 of the AX8 into the mixing desk in stereo. I get my IEM feed from my Aux send on the desk.

Pic 1 Rocco: I've circled the Delay and Reverb blocks as I've seen this setup in Fremen's presets also. What is Rocco doing here where the Delay and Reverb go out to a different Output line (say line 2), as opposed to the main output line (say line 1) where the Amp and Cab block are situated? Normally (and I know you can do anything you want in the digital world) the Delay and Reverb would meet at the same output line (whether in series or parallel) as the Amp and Cab line. I don't understand if this means something or provides a better sound.

Pic 2 Rocco: Shouldn't any effects in parallel have their Mix control at 100% and the Bypass Mode in anything BUT Thru? When I use Roccos preset, I have to adjust the Amp block volume as it's too loud, because the Bypass Mode of the Delay and Reverb blocks is Thru.

Pic 3 Claude: This is my preset (using Rocco's 5153 Red Amp and Delay/Reverb settings), and as you can see, I have the Delay and Reverb lines connecting to the main output line where my Amp and Cab block sit, as opposed to Rocco's lines in the pics above. So, I'm trying to understand what the difference is. Does it make things sound better/different? Is there a specific reason one would do this?

Pic 4 Claude: This is the same preset as Pic 3 Claude above, though I'm just showing you that my Bypass modes for the Delay/Reverb blocks are at 100% Mix and Mute FX In, as opposed to Rocco's that show the mix at 18.9% and 12% respectively and the Bypass Mode as Thru.

Sorry for the long post, but if someone can help explain why he has the Delay/Reverb lines going out to another line as apposed to the same Output line as the Main line (where the Amp and Cab block sit) and why he would put the Delay/Reverb blocks Bypass Modes in Thru mode (where everything is louder), I would appreciate it.

I did a recording where I A/B'd my preset (Bypass Mute FX In mode) against his preset (Bypass Thru mode and after adjusting Amp volume), and mine sounds a bit more in your face, or maybe brighter - not better - but definitely a little less darker.

Attachments

• Pic 1 Rocco.png
    Pic 1 Rocco.png
    743 KB · Views: 17
  • Pic 2 Rocco.png
    Pic 2 Rocco.png
    767.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Pic 3 Claude.png
    Pic 3 Claude.png
    670.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Pic 4 Claude.png
    Pic 4 Claude.png
    645.5 KB · Views: 16
I’m not sure about multiple blocks on the parallel path. Does the 100% mix still apply? Maybe not.
From everything I've researched, theoretically, all blocks in parallel should have their Mix set at 100% and the Bypass Mode set at anything other than Thru. I have presets where i have multiple blocks on a parallel path and all Mixes at 100% without issue.

Your versions are set up in a better way in my opinion.
Thanks! I do hear a difference between Rocco's and mine but I can't quite work out why and how they're different, but they sound different. Not better per se - just different. I'll see if I can post some audio.

Your versions are set up in a better way in my opinion.
I'm trying to attach or insert an mp3 file but it won't let me do it. I have to have the audio embedded on a website or similar and then attach it via a URL link - unless someone knows of another way?

The routing in pics 1 & 2 will create a lower apparent reverb mix on the dry signal than on the delay, because about half of the dry signal reaching the output isn't going through the reverb.

Your parallel routing (pics 3 & 4) won't have any reverb on the delay repeats since those blocks are in parallel.

Thru bypass mode for routing 1 will create a slight dry level increase when reverb is bypassed as well as mute the trails of either block when bypassed. Aside from that there aren't any real problems with it. (Mute In bypass mode for those blocks would probably be undesirable with that routing as bypassing either block would stop both effects and reduce dry level by about 6 dB.)

The routing in pics 1 & 2 will create a lower apparent reverb mix on the dry signal than on the delay, because about half of the dry signal reaching the output isn't going through the reverb.

Your parallel routing (pics 3 & 4) won't have any reverb on the delay repeats since those blocks are in parallel.

Thru bypass mode for routing 1 will create a slight dry level increase when reverb is bypassed as well as mute the trails of either block when bypassed. Aside from that there aren't any real problems with it. (Mute In bypass mode for those blocks would probably be undesirable with that routing as bypassing either block would stop both effects and reduce dry level by about 6 dB.)
Thx for your help Bakerman!

My research has shown that it's NOT desirable to have parallel blocks in THRU Bypass Mode. Rocco's preset is loud because of this. Leon Todd explains it in this video regarding a 3db boost when bypassing the Delay/Reverb block in parallel mode using THRU Bypass Mode. (around the 12.09 mark)

What about the meaning behind running the Delay/Reverb out on a different line/row as opposed to the main line/row? Or did you explain it but I missed it cause I'm not understanding lol!. Thx for bearing with me.

What about the meaning behind running the Delay/Reverb out on a different line/row as opposed to the main line/row? Or did you explain it but I missed it cause I'm not understanding lol!. Thx for bearing with me.
It’s the same thing as making it join the main row before hitting the output.

Although because it’s a different row, you can use the Row Pan and Level options in the output “block” if that’s needed or used in the preset.

It’s the same thing as making it join the main row before hitting the output.

Although because it’s a different row, you can use the Row Pan and Level options in the output “block” if that’s needed or used in the preset.
Awesome - thanks legend!

Back
Top Bottom