Preset freezes FM9

ctrimmer

Took my fresh FM9 to rehearsal last night, and at one point it wigged out, made a horrible noise, froze up and had to be restarted. On FW 1.0.0, using a preset hovering around 77% CPU usage. This was after about an hour of playing.

Also noticed that the tuner-on-heel-down function had occasional bugginess (see picture) where while the tuner was engaged, the preset name would flash on and off at the top left of the screen, almost like it couldn't decide whether to be in tuner mode or home view. EXP going into pedal 1 jack, has been calibrated several times. Preset attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1460.jpg
    IMG_1460.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 35
  • Way Maker SC.zip
    25.8 KB · Views: 5
Ouch. Hopefully it's not inheriting some of those FM3 freezes I had too. Took my FM9 to practice first time last night and had no problems.

This bug repeated itself with a slightly edited patch (lower CPU requirements). Within two minutes of power up, while using Pedal 1 jack for an EV-2, the unit froze and maintained a single-note electric-sounding pitch. Had to power down and reboot. Here's the new patch--for reference, I was on scene 8. Same flickering occurred as mentioned above with tuner heel down function.

Attachments

• Way Maker SC.zip
    24.7 KB · Views: 4
Was this preset created from scratch on the FM9 or converted?

It is an edited patch that someone else created for the FM9. Whether or not they converted it or created it from scratch, I do not know.

I had a very similar experience last week.

What happened? Screen went black, had a single note electronic sounding pitch (to me it sounded sort of like a synth would...though no synth block in the preset).

What occured just prior to this? I believe I engaged a control switch on the FM9 while very quickly bringing pedal 1 to heal down which engaged the tuner. Then the unit froze had the single note electronic sound coming out

Was the preset created from scratch? No... brought it over from my FM3. I did do some tweaking to the preset to reset some things.

I haven't seen this issue again on mine but I haven't really tried to recreate it; just raising some awareness that I had something similar

What happened? Screen went black, had a single note electronic sounding pitch (to me it sounded sort of like a synth would...though no synth block in the preset).

What occured just prior to this? I believe I engaged a control switch on the FM9 while very quickly bringing pedal 1 to heal down which engaged the tuner. Then the unit froze had the single note electronic sound coming out

Was the preset created from scratch? No... brought it over from my FM3. I did do some tweaking to the preset to reset some things.

I haven't seen this issue again on mine but I haven't really tried to recreate it; just raising some awareness that I had something similar
I had the exact same thing happen only mine was a preset from scratch. I was repeatedly told by a couple of the forum wiz-kids that that was simply impossible :rolleyes:

Glad someone else is in this alternate dimension with me.

Last edited:
I saw a similar thing on the tuner last sunday eve. my presets were all imported (and modified) from my FM3. NBD to recreate them if the import is an issue!

I have been having occasional freezes, but without a sound. Seems to happen when editing too quickly in FM9Edit.

Presets are chopped-down FX3 presets with just amp(s)/cab(s), wah, drive/comp/filter, gate, and PEQ, and rarely venture above 50% CPU usage.

Restart fixes it until the triggering conditions are created again....

I imported my preset from my fm3. Made some changes to maximize cpu. Riding around 77-79% depending on scene right now. I’ve had my fm9 about 5 weeks and thank God I Haven’t come across any issues other then the occasional block disappearing on edit for a split second but the signal still goes thru. Zero issues live.

Just happened live again! Totally different preset :confused::mad: I’m probably gonna have to send this in.

Used my FM9 for 2 gigs this weekend, locked up one time on first gig and two times on second, requiring a reboot each time. Mine does not emit the noise you describe, and it has not locked up at the house so its hard to pinpoint a why, but I do know it was on different patches. I do use heel down for tuner, and the lockups were always on patch change for next song.

My lockups - the main screen goes out completely, all of the other lights stay lit but switches are inactive. Can't change patch by Midi ether - have to reboot. My patches generally run 75-80% CPU and like I said, have no problem at the house, I've run through them all many times over the past two weeks

Another item - when I change patches I get a sound spike, even thought my volume pedal is down. Thought maybe it was an Initial Value issue on the pedal, turned that to 0% and no change. I have calibrated my pedals so thats not it - when I change patches, I get full volume for a second, then off per the pedal position. And of course, inevitably it was changing to patches with delay, so I would get several loud note repeats as well - a real treat for the audience...

I get occasional freezes, mostly when editing, particularly lately when poking at the speaker impedance curve, but really any time I am trying to do things too quickly for the thing to keep up. Have not yet had the chance to use it with FM9Edit disconnected, as I am still working on presets, improving sounds, etc. after the split of presets from the FX3 into FM9 and FX3 halves and importing the FM9 halves into the FM9. Getting great sounds, though. Really happy with the unit overall, and can't wait for the new firmware to come out with some bugfixes. :)

Whenever I'm editing a preset that is hovering around 83%, she gets finicky. One night she locked up on me 3 times while editing and I had to walk away.

Luckily I've had the III since launch so my gigs haven't been affected, but this is definitely showing me what slop you can get away with the flagship vs utilizing every nook and cranny of the FW for similar results.

Whenever I'm editing a preset that is hovering around 83%, she gets finicky. One night she locked up on me 3 times while editing and I had to walk away.

Luckily I've had the III since launch so my gigs haven't been affected, but this is definitely showing me what slop you can get away with the flagship vs utilizing every nook and cranny of the FW for similar results.
Yeah, that is getting into the danger zone.

If you check the FM9 it's probably flashing a red warning?

I've had it happen a few times when I was in the zone and changed scenes, where there's maybe a little heavier CPU due to different effect types active in the scene.

In that case, just changing presets with the main encoder resolves the issue.

Back
Top Bottom