Preset for Guns´n Roses Sound

Flo082

Hey Guys,

I know that Slash´s Sound come from his fingers, and Marshall AMP, but I also know that he used sometimes Wha and a bit of Fuzz and Octaver, maybe some Delay or Reverb and Tube Screamer. I used the search funktion within the forum to find stuff about GNR, but dont found anything.

Maybe some of you also have some experiences to create this Sound. If anybody can help me to get a preset for this kind of sound it would be a great help for me.

thanks in Advance and best

Flo

for the FX8 - there is one in the exchange for Slither that might help you get started:

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5262

His effects in general:

Cry Baby Wah
MXR Phase 90
MXR Tremolo
MXR Octave Fuzz
MXR Chorus
Boss Delay

Yea, I made the "Slither" preset & here's a youtube demo of it too. The wah (Scene #3) really captures the Slash vibe........but I'm not sure how much of this will translate over to the GnR stuff.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/xs-fx8-cover-band-presets.124828/

It's very easy to get the FX8 very close if you have a great tube amp to start with.......& then I usually just look up a specific song & the gear that was used to record it.............

Good luck in your tone quest.........& What amp are you using too?

Peace! X-Mann \m/

Hey X-Mann,

Thanks for your answer. Yes I saw the Youtube demo yesterday and the Wha-Scene sounds great. I think some parts of the GNR Songs like Civil War Solo and fast part of sweet child o mine solo could work well with the Scene 3 Sound. I will try to use this as basic to play around with some settings. My target is to find the sound for the Neck Pickups Solos like November Rain oder Knocking on heavens Door.

I use a really great boutique tube Amp. Sounds like Marshall form the Basics. Called Schröter Tradtional AMP. Was handmade in Bavaria. The Guy who has made it is really a sound-junky...

Best,
Flo

Hey X-Mann,

Thanks for your answer. Yes I saw the Youtube demo yesterday and the Wha-Scene sounds great. I think some parts of the GNR Songs like Civil War Solo and fast part of sweet child o mine solo could work well with the Scene 3 Sound. I will try to use this as basic to play around with some settings. My target is to find the sound for the Neck Pickups Solos like November Rain oder Knocking on heavens Door.

I use a really great boutique tube Amp. Sounds like Marshall form the Basics. Called Schröter Tradtional AMP. Was handmade in Bavaria. The Guy who has made it is really a sound-junky...

Best,
Flo
Hey Flo............

The best advice I can give you is as follows: Get your amp tone set 1st, then start to bring in the FX separately. Get the right combination & order of FX.......& try them all.....& don't worry if you don't end-up with the same brand wah or phaser as Slash used. I would also make the solo settings & Scenes with the neck pickup you will use live as well.....& at gig volume too.

I really like making individual presets for each song & making them scene based as well. This just works for me......& helps in a live situation.

The FX8 is the easiest of ALL the Fractal products & sounds the best to me as well. The unit is shipped with SO MANY great starting points.....& I love the "Copy/Paste" feature as well.

Good luck.......& PM if you ever need help!

X

Hey X,

Thank you for your advice. I will do it like you say, first the AMP tone, then the FX Blocks. I will not copy the sound of slash. I will try to find my own sound but inspired of the GNR Sound. I think also that the best way is to use a preset per song and within tis preset scene based switching. As I also work with relay amp switching scene based this is the best way for me to avoid the stepping during the songs. I like the KIS way - keep it simple. I saw within your videos, that you set the 1 three Footswichtes to Scene 1,2.3... Why do you make this?.. If you use Sticky scene in the Funktion switch you can easy switch between Scens and save the Footswich Blocks.

Thanks for you help if required.

Best,
Flo

Hey X,

Thank you for your advice. I will do it like you say, first the AMP tone, then the FX Blocks. I will not copy the sound of slash. I will try to find my own sound but inspired of the GNR Sound. I think also that the best way is to use a preset per song and within tis preset scene based switching. As I also work with relay amp switching scene based this is the best way for me to avoid the stepping during the songs. I like the KIS way - keep it simple. I saw within your videos, that you set the 1 three Footswichtes to Scene 1,2.3... Why do you make this?.. If you use Sticky scene in the Funktion switch you can easy switch between Scens and save the Footswich Blocks.

Thanks for you help if required.

Best,
Flo
My song presets are set-up for everything that I need to get through a song from start to finish. I only use the scene buttons 90% of the time. I like to have the main FX blocks that are changing up top & or anything I might want to turn off separately. There are so many ways to run the FX8 & there's no right or wrong way to do it............

I like the order from left to right based on what happens in a song.......& I like seeing the scene buttons along with the Drive, Modulation & delay blocks up top.....................I'm not missing anything from my presets or the buttons either........As I don't like reaching over the bottom row with my giant feet anyways. Lol

Make some presets-up the way you feel works best & then share them here......& I'll check them out.

Good Luck!

X

Back
Top Bottom