Preset change issue usb midi with Ableton

stevenallen81

Hi there,

I am trying to automate preset changes via midi in ableton, i have made sure the track is selected in midi preferences, and creating a midi clip assigned to the Fractal choosing controller 34 which does enable me to change scenes and this works fine.

However, the Program change panel does not let me select the:

Bank
Sub
Pgm

Which I believe is what is needed to change the preset.

Has anyone had this issue or can be of any help if possible, am desperate to make this work!

Many thanks!

Hi,
Here is a copy-paste from my personal documentation page about automating preset and scene changes from Ableton Live.
You'll need to have to MIDI tracks : one for the presets, one for the scenes.
Hope this helps.

Change presets automatically from a MIDI track​

1. set the Axe-FX as a MIDI output device in Live's preferences (set Track and Remote to On)
  2. create a MIDI track and assign its MIDI to output to Axe-FX II (MIDI out)
  3. in the arrangement view, create MIDI clips corresponding to where the different presets must be used (i.e. start and stop) during the song
  4. for each clip go to its clip view and set the corresponding bank and program number
    • bank 1 ranges from program 1 to 128, bank 2 from program 129 (128 + 1) to 256 (128 + 128), ..., so preset 138 is program 10 on bank 2... (WARNING: this is true even if Display Offset is set to 0, which means the table 16.18 in the Axe-FX manual (Axe-Fx II Bank & Preset Numbers Table, page 192) is wrong : every non-bold number must be incremented by 1 in it).
  5. test your setting by playing the arrangement: the Axe-FX display should reflect the preset changes.
Links :

Change scenes automatically from a MIDI track​

1. set the Axe-FX as a MIDI output device in Live's preferences
  2. create a MIDI track and assign its MIDI to output to Axe-FX II (MIDI out)
  3. in the arrangement view, create MIDI clips corresponding to where the different scenes must be used (i.e. start and stop) during the song
  4. for each clip, go to its clip view, display the Enveloppe box (using the buttons at the bottom of the Clip box)
  5. in the Enveloppe box, choose MIDI Ctrl for the first drop-down list and Controller #34 (this is the default value set for the Scene Select parameter in the I/0:Ctrl page) for the secont drop-down list
  6. then on the enveloppe edit pane (is it the correct name?), raise/lower the horizontal line at the correct place to match the expected scene numbers:
    • the value is diplayed near the time-line of the pane while the line is being raised/lowered
    • value 0 is for scene 1, value 1 is for scene 2, ...
    • while one can edit the enveloppe during the clip, it is better to have one scene value/change by clip (conveniently named with the scene number) to have an easier understanding of what happens in the arrangement view
  7. test your setting by playing the arrangement: the Axe-FX display should reflect the scene changes.
Tips:
  • rather than repeating the whole clip configuration process for every clip, copy and paste the first clip: you'll only need to edit the controller value to adapt to the current clip.
Links:

Hi there, I know this is an old post but it seems relevant to my question.

I'm currently running a mostly automated show using Live and an Axe-FX II, my question is, is there any way to have manual control via MIDI while an automated show is running? As it stands now, if a song is running (tracks) and there are automated scene changes (over usb), my manual MIDI controller doesn't work. Or, that is to say, it does work, but Live will change it back.

I know, if I don't want the programmed change, change the program, but there are just some situations where I'd prefer manual control. In this particular case, there are 5 guitarists potentially using this show, so the changes in the show itself have been decided on democratically. I'd like to be able to override some of those changes if possible.

Hi there, I know this is an old post but it seems relevant to my question.

I'm currently running a mostly automated show using Live and an Axe-FX II, my question is, is there any way to have manual control via MIDI while an automated show is running? As it stands now, if a song is running (tracks) and there are automated scene changes (over usb), my manual MIDI controller doesn't work. Or, that is to say, it does work, but Live will change it back.

I know, if I don't want the programmed change, change the program, but there are just some situations where I'd prefer manual control. In this particular case, there are 5 guitarists potentially using this show, so the changes in the show itself have been decided on democratically. I'd like to be able to override some of those changes if possible.
I'm a bit confused by your post.

Scene changes should be single events.

If automation changes the scene and you change after then it should work fine.

If you make a manual scene selection before the automation then of course it will change.

Back
Top Bottom