Preset Challenge: Shut Up And Dance With Me

Rich G.

Experienced
I play in a cover band and one of the songs we just picked up is Walk The Moon's Shut Up And Dance With Me. I came up with a preset, but I'm interested in what other people come up with. I found this song to be a bit challenging with all the variations going on. From what I hear, there are four distinct guitar (well, three and one synth) parts:

Intro / Verse / Chorus / Lead

Here are some hints I used to get started:
Intro: Use Nameless Streets preset (222, I think?) out of the box.
Verse: Turn OFF Drive, Delay, and Reverb
Chorus: 2nd AMP: Wrecker, 2nd CAB: Some TV Mix
Lead: I'll let this be a mystery for now. ;)

I think I'm pretty similar in my preset.

Intro: used my WOWY patch with delay tempo matched of course. Vox AC30, mod 2290 delay.
Verse: I too turn off delay and rev, sometimes leave the delay on.
Chorus: I didn't match to the song per se, I just switch to the preset right before which happens to be a plexi.
Lead: Add the TS808 and delay to the plexi.

I keep messing with the synth and I should just use it for the lead but I have yet to live. Fun song hopefully its life keeps going. Its been beat to death pretty badly.

I dig the idea of a preset challenge. I tinkered with this a month or two ago using Nameless Streets like Rich G, but once my kids stopped harassing me to learn it I kind of abandoned it.

Off topic a bit: I really dig Walk The Moon's new album, it's a great soundtrack to run to. I read an interview where they said that they wrote half the album after Shut up and dance because they dug the sound. I found that the songs that they wrote after Shut Up are my favorite ones.

From what I hear, there are four distinct guitar (well, three and one synth) parts:

I think there's two guitars in the song with distinct studio qualities. You could setup a preset to have 5 scenes to accomplish this.

1: Intro Vox/Fenderish tone with Vintage Delay or 2290
2: Verse Vox/Fenderish tone with studio reverb
3: Chorus Rat Dist/Super OD in front to distort
4: Lead (5) without Synth
5: Lead (5) with Synth/Delay

That solo I don't even think includes a guitar, sounds like a distorted synth keyboard. Which is sweet if you can achieve it with the AFX all together.

Challenge hopefully accepted if I can find some time tomorrow to create one. I may be able to later on tonight.

Here's my crappy recorded attempt (USB Axe-FX II into GarageBand) in about 30 mins time:

Preset download here on Axe-Change

NOTE: VOL1 block is set for "External 1" as the controller. Just remove the VOL block at the beginning if you don't control the volume with the EXP1 > EXT1 (CC#16) method.

NOTE#2: Scenes 1-5 have been programmed:
1: Intro
2: Verse
3: Pre-Chorus w/Drive
4: Chorus w/Drive & some Delay
5: Synth/Lead Part

NOTE#3: SYNTH block obviously has some tracking issues. You may need to modify the block to match the solo more closely. In the recording it was just for an example at Mix %50.

Hope this helps some, you can ignore the multitude of mistakes in the GarageBand track :lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom