Preset and building question

Being that I'm more of a hands on guy than an instruction manual reader, can someone point me to a link or tell me in basic terms how to
1. Try the presets from the preset exchange here on the forum. I don't know how to get the from computer to my Axe FX.
2. Also, which controls in Axe edit are most important? It very overwhelming. Thanks!

1:
Presets: loading - Axe-Fx II Wiki

2:
that's like asking what notes on the guitar are more important. it depends what you want to achieve. they can all be very important.

you can always go around turning every knob and dial and setting to see what they do, in fact i highly suggest you do that when you have time. but otherwise, you somewhat have to know what you want before you start turning knobs to get there.

In Axe-Edit, choose "Preset Folder" as the source (look for the word "source" on the Axe-Edit screen). A window will pop up that lets you choose what folder you want to work in. Use that screen to find the folder where you've downloaded the presets. Once you've selected the folder, click on "Open."

Now you can go through the presets just like you would if they were all stored on your Axe-FX.

Which Axe-Edit controls are most important? That's up to you. Most of the controls just mirror what's already available on the Axe-FX itself. Some folks would say that Gain, Master Volume, Bass Mid and Treble in the amp block are most important. :)

Also, which controls in Axe edit are most important? It very overwhelming.

I totally see the overwhlming thing...

all FX blocks have a basic page.. you can try sticking to these at first so you don't get bogged down in a minefield of advanced page controls..

what's most important really depends upon the tone you're trying to create...
and you always need to be mindful that the final tone is a sum of all the parts rather than just two or three major things..

pay close attention to choosing the right cab for the amp you're using..
leave the mic set to none [at least at first]
there are a lot of cabs so it'll take a while going through them, but it's worth it..

I recommend becoming familiar with the AxeManage part of AxeEdit.

For example, you can see an entire folder of presets on your computer all at once. It has columns for what amp models are used etc.

When uploading a bank file, you can see the progress of each preset being written to the AxeFx etc.

Richard

I find that approaching the amp block like a real amp is the best way to go about learning. Just work with basic controls + the presence knob of page 2. Picking the right cab is arguably more important than any parameter you'll find in the advanced menus. Since v6, I don't even look at the advanced tab anymore. It's extremely overwhelming if you go in tweaking the transformer match before really understanding how basic stuff like Gain and Master Volume interact. When I got the Ultra, I decided to just take it 1 block at a time. Start with a basic amp+Cab and then slowly expand to compressor, drive, delay, synth, etc... the II is WAY easier to dial in because the default amp settings sound so damned good. As Clarky mentioned, the entire signal chain influences the sound, so my approach was to learn each section on it's own.

I have a question which is kind of related.
Is there anywhere I can find a guide/tutorial on how EQ and post-editing works?

Just as the OP, I am very new to these kind of controls. Coming from a regular amp, I never had to care about these stuff and as far as I understand, the EQ and post-editing can do quite a lot to the sound. Just thought I'd throw the question in here since it's related :)

What is post-editing? Do you mean like a graphic eq somewhere in the preset or anything other than amp/cab?

All that stuff just takes experience and knowing what you want in your tone.

I also don't really touch the advanced amp page any more except for input trim and hi and low cut. The basic amp controls do it all for me. I don't even use a graphic eq block at the end of the grid like I did with the ultra. It's just so awesome now!

I think sometimes people try too hard because there ARE so many options. They let their eyes fool them into thinking they need to do this and that, when if they just used their ears, they'd be done already!

I also don't really touch the advanced amp page any more except for input trim and hi and low cut. The basic amp controls do it all for me. I don't even use a graphic eq block at the end of the grid like I did with the ultra. It's just so awesome now!

So then how do you EQ for "live" playing vs at home...I'm still having some trouble getting a good live tone...sorry if OT

There is no right or wrong to it.

Using the global EQ on the Global -> Out1 or Out2 pages to do EQ changes at the venue is simple and legit.

Richard

What is post-editing? Do you mean like a graphic eq somewhere in the preset or anything other than amp/cab?

All that stuff just takes experience and knowing what you want in your tone.

I think sometimes people try too hard because there ARE so many options. They let their eyes fool them into thinking they need to do this and that, when if they just used their ears, they'd be done already!

Totally agree with u on this Chris. Fractal has come a long way and have made it
So much easier to dial in what u want and much of the time u can get there within
A relatively short period of time. Many tend to overdo it and by the time theyre done
They miss the mark and are still unsatisfied and ear fatigued. Ive been following the
Forums and many are trying to match this and that and some succeed but a lot
Far way short of achieving the exact tone or even getting a good tone that is passable.
Even after countless tweaking hours. I just dialed in a killer Van Halen patch last eve
from scratch with 6.1 and Prob spent 30 mins on it, besides the reverb,phase,detune,
Delay settings I mainly changed the amp,cab and basic amp controls. I hit the advanced
Tab and was a minute or so changing something but didnt need to because I had
Already achieved what I set out to do. U will find out u can be really happy with
Your tone.sound if u just focus on the basics and milk the most
Tone u can out of your hands.

Back
Top Bottom