Preset a Day November

Your new 1985 pack is sure stirring up some ghosts for me, and I am purchasing now. What Firmware version were these created in BTW?

Thanks!

Just so you know, I'm nothing to do with Silent Underground but have always kept an eye on Daniel's preset a day gifts, and try to give people a nudge to his website whenever I can. Not sure he gets on here much these days to do it himself. Just doing my bit for a great guy.
He helped me out in my early days of downloading presets so just my bit of payback.

The 1985 pack sounds great by the way. The amps need to be reset because they were created in an earlier version of the firmware, but after that, they sounds amazing! Stirring up ghosts for sure!

The 1985 pack sounds great by the way. The amps need to be reset because they were created in an earlier version of the firmware, but after that, they sounds amazing! Stirring up ghosts for sure!

What changes did you have to make after resetting the amps. Was it just basic BMT or did you have to delve a little deeper?

I reset the Amp (changed and changed back) and set the Speaker comp and time to defaults (double clicking the knob) and that was it. Sounded bad before and amazing after. The amp reset is absolutely needed for this set.

EDIT: I spoke way too early in this post! It so happened that the first presets I tried needed to be reset to sound right because they were very 'tinny' sounding. NOT ALL PRESETS need to have the amp reset however and some are definitely degraded when doing so. They all seem to like the speaker comp however and each has come out sounding really good.

I suggest you select the amp block, send X to Y, and reset the amp in Y and toggle back and forth. Then once you decide what sounds better, set them both that that and set the Speaker Comp settings to default and toggle back and forth again. Whatever you like best save to X and save the preset. Sorry to send you off track initially...

Last edited:
how do you reset the amps?

Not a full block reset, just change the amp model to something else and then change it back. This resets the block but leaves the main controls (Bass, mid, treble, etc) alone.

Once you do that step you will notice it sounds much better but might be lower volume. Then default the Speaker Comp and time controls, adjust the volume level back up if needed, and save the preset.

Not a full block reset, just change the amp model to something else and then change it back. This resets the block but leaves the main controls (Bass, mid, treble, etc) alone.

Once you do that step you will notice it sounds much better but might be lower volume. Then default the Speaker Comp and time controls, adjust the volume level back up if needed, and save the preset.

ahh cool bro!!thank you

I reset the Amp (changed and changed back) and set the Speaker comp and time to defaults (double clicking the knob) and that was it. Sounded bad before and amazing after. The amp reset is absolutely needed for this set.

Thanks for the reset tip. I was wondering why a few of the presets did not sound good. Will give it a try later tonight.

BTW, here is an excerpt of an e-mail I sent to Daniel regarding Firmware upgrades. I actually wish all preset vendors would do this, especially The AMP Factory who created an amazing set of presets many firmware's back and then disappeared...

I have a quick suggestion regarding this change to new versions that I think would be simple for you and would help with all platforms. If when you built the samples, you did a quick sample recording through the device, and then provided the sample recording along with the dry guitar stem that made the recording and bundled that with the set.
Most users with one of these devices have a DAW of some sort and it would be great to be able to load up the recording created on the original version of firmware, along side a separate track of the dry guitar that would be re-amped through the device after Firmware Upgrade. Then we can just toggle back and forth while we adjust to match and we could get there.

Seems like it would be easy to do and save time on both sides. Just my 2 cents but I hope you like the idea.

I spoke way too early in this post! It so happened that the first presets I tried needed to be reset to sound right because they were very 'tinny' sounding. NOT ALL PRESETS need to have the amp reset however and some are definitely degraded when doing so. They all seem to like the speaker comp however and each has come out sounding really good.

I suggest you select the amp block, send X to Y, and reset the amp in Y and toggle back and forth. Then once you decide what sounds better, set them both that that and set the Speaker Comp settings to default and toggle back and forth again. Whatever you like best save to X and save the preset. Sorry to send you off track initially...

Hey guys,

First off thank you @Whistler for linking to us again. I never seem to have time to get over here regularly these days.
You Sir, are a champion !!

As far goes the presets in this pack (and #PresetADay November);

Yes, the presets were created in FW8.03

Some of the tones might sound thin, but A LOT of those old records have some pretty "raw" sounding tones. Where possible, we've done averages of the tones on an album. As you can imagine, not every song sounds the same, and not every song has an isolated spot to take a TM from. So we pulled a collection of every isolated section we could find, from every song on all 62 albums (was literally hundreds of clips) sorted out the tones that were clearly similar, averaged those tone results, and then did the tone match process to that test tone. Not going to go into further detail about how we do our tone matches as it is 100% external of the AXE FX and includes multiple programs and passes.

In some instances we have also added slight additional EQ to "fix" anything messed up, because some of those tones might not be directly relatable in a modern performance where far far more focus on guitar tone quality is present.

That said, I would strongly recommend NOT reseting the amp amp block in this pack (and certainly in others of our packs) without taking note of the advanced settings in the amp block. This pack in particular has some pretty extreme GEQ settings (for reasons that will be more clear with a future Cab pack release)

A LOT of our packs have completely customised amp blocks, sometimes with different EQ stacks, or completely rebuilt power amp sections - like our V1 Puppets packs using a Mark front end with a JCM800 power section (pre the MKIIC++ Model release) Or the naked amps we custom built for @anthonylbest .

Reseting the AMP block also resets master volume, brightness, presence, depth - and from memory - the input trim as well? Plus the Speaker EQ settings which we regularly manipulate as well. All of which we take advantage of extensively, and massively affect the final tone.

I would personally never reset the block of any 3rd party preset unless I knew for sure it had no additional amp settings customised. Instead, I would manually mess with settings to see if there is an improvement - OR - take note of all the original settings and go from there.

However, keep in mind that after a FW update you may not know what was customised at the builders end vs what changed due to the firmware updated settings.

If you want to reset the block, by all means do so. If you feel there is an improvement - Great! Lock it in and rock out.
But that GEQ block will really really mess with the tone of the tone match in this pack if you choose to do so.

Daniel ~

Sorry to throw people off track with the reset thing... Did you see my request for sound samples and dry stems earlier in this thead? That would provide us the original intent and resolve confusion like this.

Back
Top Bottom