Preset #75 latency??? WTf??

On a sidenote, I've heard people complain that they have 3-4 ms latency in their PC when recording to DAW, and try to find a solution for that "unacceptable" problem...:lol

**Raises hand** That would be me. LOL! Total fix...I got a mixing console and never have to do input monitoring through my interface again. I actually never had a problem as my interfaces at 64 buffers are at 1.3 ms latency. However, if you have a load of tracks happening with plugins and a mix that's really starting to get busy, and you decide you need to reprint something in real time...you gotta hope 128 buffers at 2.5 ms works. The console solved it all other than if I want to record soft synths or drum modules in real time etc. But yeah...weirdos like me do exist unfortunately. ;)

I'm actually really curious about this pitch thing too. What would it really take to have the pitch dropped with 0 latency? We have been contemplating tuning down a half step in my VH tribute band. But because I tune in an open C tuning as the only tuning I know how to play in, this would put me in B and doesn't sound or feel right. It's hard enough for me to play in a low C tuning exclusively, and it's not like the open C you guys may be thinking about.

But when I use the pitch a half step down, I've gotten used to the little latency as well as tweaked my sound to where it sounds pretty good like that. But I also notice that sometimes, I'm "pushing" a little forward to try and compensate for the bit of lag. I'm almost afraid it's going to become a habit that I'll have a hard time breaking. When I go a half step up, it doesn't seem to lag at all. Unless that's just mind over matter?

Whatever the case, I love this technology and the fact that we have it. But in all seriousness, what WOULD it take to totally do away with the lag....and is it even possible?

Thing is that with latency measures on PC's your getting a certain number latency for a given buffer, and 128 or so samples looks great, few ms, which on it own isn't a big deal, BUT.... that isn't the overall latency of a round trip, from hitting say a key on your midi keyboard, to that signal going through the usb bus, getting processed, then back out though the DA convertor, and finally to your speakers, which then travel to your ears

The signal over the wire is essentially instant, as is the sound of the signal moving through the air, but when you add up all the steps in between, the round trip latency can be several times higher than the stated latency, in other words, about 10-15ms even if your system is saying its only got 5ms latency, just as an arbitrary example

Generally its still small enough to not be perceivable by human auditory perception.... I know, I know....there is always someone who swears they can hear/feel it, BUT, having done quite a bit of experimental trials with human subjects in the field of psychoacoustics while earning my doctorate, things like gap detection down to a single ms interval just don't exist...sorry to say so. But again, get it high enough and yes, it can start to be a bother...

I remember in the early days of home DAWs, vst soft synths etc, especially when products didn't have an ASIO driver that you'd be running Dx audio with like 154ms stated latency, which as I've told you, ends up being even longer that. Made things like virtual guitar modeling, piano's etc quite unplayable they lagged so bad, and if you didn't have the lag, you had crackles

Ah...the good old days of early Cubase and Cakewalk running on a Pentium 90 LOL

Back
Top Bottom