Presenting... The Axe-Fx III

USB-C is a disaster when it comes to compatibility.

USB-B is much safer.

USB-C is probably the best thing that's ever happened to the industry and USB as a technology.
There will always be a struggle to accept new technologies and standards, especially when it's not backwards compatible, but USB-C is just better in every way. Just like AxeIII presets are better in every way to, but not backwards compatible with, the AxeII presets.

USB-C is probably the best thing that's ever happened to the industry and USB as a technology.
There will always be a struggle to accept new technologies and standards, especially when it's not backwards compatible, but USB-C is just better in every way. Just like AxeIII presets are better in every way to, but not backwards compatible with, the AxeII presets.
You may well be right, but so is @yek , many, many of us have had and continue to have issues , a combination of factors of course contribute, 3rd party peripherals with crappy drivers and firmware, non spec dongles, differing charging levels, hang ups in Thunderbolt 3 daisy chains, etc, hopefully some of these get ironed out before the next standard arrives to screw us up again..

In general, yes. But try to find a D Type socket for a breakout panel on your rack for USB-C.

Also, I've had USB-C sockets on phones for quite a while, a lot of them get loose very fast.

So it'll take a while for this tech to get mature enough to get to professional installations.

I have been going through this thread intensely. Excited as I am like everyone else. The one question that I don't see answered is: Can the new FC pedals be connected straight to an MFC-101? I think many users would love that.
If yes: to all versions of the mfc?

Is this confirmed? No midi in on the FC’s?

It was stated that the new controllers don’t even use MIDI for communicating with the new Axe. And that MFC doesn’t work with the new Axe. And that MFC will not be updated because its memory is already full with current firmware.

No, it hasn’t been stated that you cannot connect MFC and FC together, but given the above two statements you can guess what the probability is.

Hmmm, I see what you mean. I think you are mistaken on at least one item though. You can use the mfc to control the 3 using basic midi, the axe specific functions will not work though.

Looking forward to seeing the full specs in the FC

Axe. And that MFC doesn’t work with the new Axe.

I don't think that this is accurate. I thought that I read the MFC would control the Axe III ..., but it would be no different than a controller from a different company ( meaning no Axe-Fx mode ) ?

USB In (from Axe-Fx III to Computer)

1+2: Output 1
3+4: Output 2
5+6: Input 1 (DI for reamping)

- On the AxeII, Outputs 3-4 are hardcoded to the input signal DI, and Outputs 1-2 you could choose FX send or main outs..
- On the AxeIII, does this mean we'll be able to get the FX send AND main outs at the same time over USB?

I do not need a new AxeFx personally.
But I wanna say good move from FAS well done, I think those are the right improvements.

1) Despite the different outputs on the II there was a bit of juggling when trying to do different things there.
2) Choosing IN and OUT points was desperately missing, brought some frustration here in the past.
3) MFC : I don't like you that much, you are a pain to transport especially for smaller gigs or flights, your switches are very close to each other, not that easy to know where you are when you're busy playing, lack of scene names,.... all this is addressed. Hoping for a good looper integration - although I'm using external looper now until FAS decides to care about actual loopers :) I have to say the new in and outs though will benefit solo acts as they will be able to integrate more things managed by 1 box.
The new FC could even be the biggest reason to get a III, as far as I'm concerned.

One thing I was surprised about : I expected to be able to go up to 3 or 4 amp blocks. If there are 4 amps loaded in the 4 channels, it seems like it might be possible to implement? Is there a potential for 2 different amp modes ? --> mode 1 is 4 amps channels, mode 2 is 4 amp blocks 1 channel each? How could this be done... 2 different amp block types?!

To be honest, I have been so happy with my sound I haven't even upgraded for a while. Also I am not really the consumer guy who will upgrade to a III unless I really need it, but I am curious to see how they will use the potential of this new beast!

Congrats and thanks for coming up with these beauties xxx

EDIT : Also very well done for keeping the price tag in the same ball park, I think that's really important.

Last edited:
So much for the "Axe-Fx II has many years left" lie. Typical marketing BS that I did not expect from Fractal.

So much for the "Axe-Fx II has many years left" lie. Typical marketing BS that I did not expect from Fractal.

When was the last time you heard that directly from Fractal Audio? Please give me a link or something.

It's been well over a year since I've seen any post like that from anyone at Fractal. And who says the Axe-FX II doesn't have plenty of time left? Cliff has already said that he will bring any updates he can back to the current generation.

Don't forget that the II came out almost 7 years ago and is still the best guitar processor on the market IMO. In that time it's had well over 100 firmware revisions that improved amp modeling, improved effects quality, improved CPU usage, added dozens of new amp models, added a bunch of new effects, improved amp/cabinet interactions, added a number of very powerful parameters, pretty much every single block type has been improved in some way (many have been substantial), etc.

When are you actually going to present the axe-fx III? So many teasers, it's unbearable :D We need in depth stuff with axe-edit and features. People don't even know what they've signed up for, lol.

True, it is a bit strange how they can announce a new product but have no info on it - and the FC6/12 appears to still be in the planning stages - oh well I gues all will be reveiled at some point :)

Back
Top Bottom