Presenting... The Axe-Fx III

@bdrepko I don't mean setting up preferences on the forum to mail you. I mean going on Fractal audio.com and scrolling to the bottom of the page and clicking the link that says sign up for email updates.

i thought something about it sounded a little different when i first got it. It seemed to sound better for some reason
but i'm not sure that is reality. But i am enjoying a few of the features that were missing on the AX8. Comes with a lot
more presets, 2 amps, more cab options, usb, tonematch, etc. Despite getting it literally right before the announcement, i'm
happy i did it.

I'm interested to hear your opinions , coming from the AX8 to the III. The AX8 is the only Fractal unit I've used. I've been considering the Axe II for some time , and now I'm in line for the III.
What do you consider the best features ; so far , on the III - that aren't on the AWESOME AX8 ?

Would be hard for him to answer that seeing as he bought a II.

Lol . Yeah , I see that now !
Guess it'll be a mystery until I get my own.
You guys did such a good job at hiding who had a new Axe-Fx III before the announcement , I didn't know any better. I missed it on the page before ! Thanks.

Last edited:
dumb question buuuuuuuuuuuuut........ well questions.
1. have instrment inputs have upgraded?
2. is the headphone input been upgraded?
3. why the use of the usb and not thunderbolt/usb C?

2. is the headphone input been upgraded?
I can drive my notoriously-hard-to-drive AKG K7XX cans off the headphone input without any issues whatsoever. This is a considerably nice thing. Even my Focusrite interface can barely drive these monster headphones.

3. why the use of the usb and not thunderbolt/usb C?
USB2 is perfectly adequate for the job and doesn't come with the excessive licensing fees Thunderbolt requires.

Agree on USB 2.0, but hasn't Thunderbolt licensing been free since around mid last year?
No. It’ll be royalty-free to chip makers starting in 2018. I would guess the board design for the III was mostly done even before Intel made that announcement last May.

No. It’ll be royalty-free to chip makers starting in 2018. I would guess the board design for the III was mostly done even before Intel made that announcement last May.
Got it. And yes of course, if not the board, the system design would've probably been before the announcement, just wondering about thunderbolt and it's fees. Thanks for the info!

I've deleted posts above questioning the email URL and list service used by Fractal Audio Systems. We do use the systems in question and will continue to do so. You may at times see emails with 3rd party branding in the footer or URL. The services we use in association with customer email services are Mail Chimp, Constant Contact, and Volusion.

Another post by the man stated that epiphanies would be ported so true EOL is in the distant, rather than near, future.

Must have missed that one...that's good to know. No big surprise though as the Fractal team, as we all know, are great at looking after us.

I was more curious than worried about it. I mainly use @edo's presets and if support ended for my MK-I and Edo supplied us with one last set of updates, I'd be happier than a pig in poop! Eventually, if the Canadian dollar rebounds a bit, I may consider a move to the III, if anything, just because it looks like it would be a lot of fun to use and play with! :)

Thanks!

I love my Axe II more than any gear I’ve ever purchased in my life. It is the greatest sounding equipment I’ve ever owned. That being said...knowing there is an AXE III makes me look at my Axe like My old BOSS BS-5! Come on waitlist and take my money!

Going to USB3 wouldn't provide any performance advantages for audio but it would limit comparability for people. I mean there just isn't any benefit for limiting it to USB3. It wouldn't make it any better.

As far as speed goes, USB2 is probably fine. Would have been nice with USB-C port though to keep it compatible with the I/O of all new devices. Guess we'll have to get a dongle.

Back
Top Bottom