Presenting... The Axe-Fx III

But then you'd use twice the CPU. No free lunch. I don't think people would like that.

With all the power in III, I would certainly prefer that.

And it would open up a lot of opportunities for cross-fading, gradual merging, other effects of the sort.

As an option maybe?

Don’t know how hard it would be to implement, of course.

And it would open up a lot of opportunities for cross-fading, gradual merging, other effects of the sort.

As an option maybe?

I guess that would translate to just one amp block available.
I'd much prefer the option to have 3 or 4 amp blocks at lower oversampling/bit rate (like it was in the II to have 2)

As an option maybe?

You can do it with the 2 amp blocks - muting and unmuting - just like with the II if that’s what you need. That’s the option.

If the Axe-Fx III came out with ONE amp at a time but “faster-than-real-amps” switching, I think people would be complaining about the 1 amp limitation more than anything.

Its hard to explain, but when I was using the AX8 it just threw me off. And the gap was longer than .35ms. Especially on a bunch of really short leads.

I am not trying to seek out the negative. This was the only problem that I had with the AX8. But it was big enough that I had to find another solution. Just because someone has an issue does not mean that they are a troll or attacking the product.

Not implying trolling. Trying to understand why all the fuss on something Ive never heard. Although I have not played through an AX8 so perhaps that's why.

In any event, I would hope the clip Cliff just posted will ease the concerns.

You can do it with the 2 amp blocks - muting and unmuting - just like with the II if that’s what you need. That’s the option.

If the Axe-Fx III came out with ONE amp at a time but “faster-than-real-amps” switching, I think people would be complaining about the 1 amp limitation more than anything.
One thing that would be cool would be the ability to use 3 or 4 amp blocks.
Useful in a band with one bass and 2 guitars by example or mixing amp blocks for reamping etc...

The "gap" is arbitrary (and set at 35 ms) and is simply the time to fade down the old amp and fade up the new amp. You HAVE to do some ramp-down and ramp-up or you'll get artifacts as the gain can be completely different. If you just instantly switch from a clean amp to a distorted amp or vice-versa you'll get a pop. That's just basic signal processing. About the shortest you can make ramp-down/ramp-up without introducing clicks and pops is 15 ms so the total time is 30 ms (plus 5ms as a safety margin).
How does this work with spillover? Is it run separately? Just wanna learn more.

Whoa – was that the first public audio sample? Cool.

Haha, my grumpy rants actually achieved something, despite what naysayers said. :)

Well, yes and no. Yes in that I do it now, no because you can switch between 2 sounds this way, or 3 in one "direction" only. With some switching combinations you still get the gap/hiccup.

If that would lead to just one amp, sure, that would be the show stopper. How do you know it would though? There may be enough power to run more. At least as an option.

One thing that would be cool would be the ability to use 3 or 4 amp blocks.
Useful in a band with one bass and 2 guitars by example or mixing amp blocks for reamping etc...

^^ This, too. It could also achieve truly gapless switching in all scenarios.

Back
Top Bottom