Presenting... The Axe-Fx III

I had a sneaky suspicion since they were bargain basement pricing everything to get a lot of cash, and not releasing any upgrades for a while, that something like this was in the works. That said Kemper and Line 6 realize they just got posterized with this latest offer. Take already the arguably best and more than double processing and I/o's, give it a modern screen, a sexy new foot controller all I can say is WOW!!! Great job Fractal and I was on the list by the end of reading about it!, so now my axefx2 and mfc101 will join my tube amps in the "for sale" pile shortly!
They spoke to Kemper at the NAMM show and Kemper said they have nothing to show.

Yes, you can daisy-chain up to four. However, the FC-6/12 feature "layouts". A layout remaps all the switches so it's like having 12 times the number of switches.

Are layouts something you would set in a configuration menu before a gig, or can they be changed on a scene/preset basis?

If it's on a scene basis, does the layout apply to the external switches and expression pedals too?

Never mind, answered in another thread...

Last edited:
it really should be clear when setting up presets from scratch. yes, it will take some adjusting since it's different. but it's not THAT different from making sure people put a block in the first column. i've answered that "no sound" question many times - they just put blocks in the middle willy-nilly.

i think this would be really limiting, and cause many unnecessary shunts to fill all 16 columns. i honestly think this won't be necessary. if you don't see an input and an output, you won't get sound. pretty straight forward.

I see your point. As long as the Ins and Outs are extremely easy to add to the grid it will probably be fine. I think if you don't stick them in the right-click context menu in alphabetical order along with everything else you should be fine. Give them their own section in that menu. Or, allow them to be populated into the grid by clicking a block and pressing a hotkey.

Hey there's an idea. Hotkeys for the grid when using Axe Edit.

Click a block and Press "1" to cycle through Input 1 and Output 1, hit "2" to cycle through Input 2 and Outout 2, hit "D" to cycle between Delay 1, Delay 2, Drive 1, Drive 2, etc.

Last edited:
Looks very nice. The Channels feature sounds very interesting. My only gripe with the AX8 is the switching gap, but I still use the AX8 instead of my II for live shows because it's so much more portable. For the bar gigs that we do, I kind of doubt I will upgrade. I get all kinds of good comments on the tone that comes out the AX8. I like the look of the new foot controller, but it seems like it would take a lot of taps to go between different presets.

Looks very nice. The Channels feature sounds very interesting. My only gripe with the AX8 is the switching gap, but I still use the AX8 instead of my II for live shows because it's so much more portable. For the bar gigs that we do, I kind of doubt I will upgrade. I get all kinds of good comments on the tone that comes out the AX8. I like the look of the new foot controller, but it seems like it would take a lot of taps to go between different presets.
Do you not have spillover turned on or is there no spillover in the AX8?

Wow congratulations Cliff and FAS!! It's very exciting to see the next gen platform released and watch what it will develop into. I bought an AFX II Mk. 1 right after they came out and it's been a mega-fun ride seeing that platform evolve and mature into what is today.

Several years of continual improvement on the II platform is astounding and makes me confident that the III platform will have a similarly long life span with all the horsepower it has.

Very cool...I'm loving the III from what I've seen so far....ohhhhhh yea.....!!

Thanks Cliff and all at Fractal for all your consistent hard work. The III looks KILLER!!

IMO, no need to debate...as with anything, it may not be for everyone.

It’s WOW!! Far exceeding ANYTHING we’ve seen on the market.
Can’t wait to log some hours on this baby :D
Thanks for continuing to lead the way and set the bar Cliff.

Would enjoy learning about the pricing RE: foot controllers
Can I get on the waitlist for those yet??

One of the many, many big things about the AXE III is the amazing CAB IR choices on-board.

Fractal Audio Systems worked with known Cab Pack producers to give the AXE III cabs ranging from a 1X4 Pignose to a 1X15 Supro, from 2X10 to 2x12s, to a multitude of 4X12s.

Then, you have the option to blend up to FOUR cabs, mixing them together right in the newly Designed Cab Block.

It's damn cool. Here is the website excerpt:

Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 10.04.56 PM.png
(Disclosure: AustinBuddy provided roughly 1 in 9 of the 2048 cabs included as the new Factory 1 and Factory 2 Cab selections).

Do any beta testers know if the damping time has been increased in the Edit Modifier Window? Or if you can adjust the up and down time independently? Also if you attach a controller to a parameter, is that controller, and it's settings, attached to all four channels of the block?

I'm really excited to see all of the IR producers that will have factory cabs, but one name that popped out was John Petrucci. Petrucci already has a factory IR in the legacy IR bank at least, but I wonder if we'll be seeing new IRs from him too? (And crossing my fingers for a model of his JP-2C)

Back
Top Bottom