Presence and Depth controls for a VHT 2:90:2

GreatGreen

Power User
I use a VHT 2:90:2 with my Axe-Fx and I started to think about how to emulate the poweramp's presence and depth knobs, seeing as the thought of replacing it for gigs with a Matrix poweramp has crossed my mind, but I don't really want to lose the functionality of the extra presence and depth controls.

Anyway, it turns out that mimicking the presence and depth controls on this amp pretty much exactly is easy! Just place a Parametric EQ block late in the signal chain and set the highest frequency to right between 1000 and 2000 Hz, and you're done! Keep everything else set to default. Shelving type, 0.707 Q. From there, the parametric eq's Gain knob on tab F5 to my ears behaves pretty much exactly like the Presence knobs on either channel of the 2:90:2.

The depth control sounds extremely close to the default F1 page settings. The actual depth knob on the VHT doesn't have near the range of the parametric eq's gain control though in case you're curious. Actually I think the parametric EQ's F1 page is way more versatile (obviously) and can be made to sound better than the VHT's depth control, so I wouldn't really worry about duplicating the depth control exactly. It's the Presence knob on the VHT you want to dupe, as it seems to do exactly what it's supposed to do, and it does it well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom