1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Premier Guitar published a nice review of the Axe-Fx III

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx III Reviews' started by OddManOut, Nov 20, 2018.

1. OddManOut

OddManOut
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

2. Narzugon

Narzugon
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

I'm sure Bolinger is a great guy and a great player but it's painful for me to watch him review gear or do Rig Rundowns. I'm not even a quarter of the way into the video and he's making the comparison between plug-n-play people and tweakers. A few quotes that I think that put the wrong spin on things: "I think most Fractal people are tweakers", "And then there's the Fractal that's, really made with an engineer's mentality". His counter to this is "I really like the presets!".

For the plug-n-play people I would have mentioned that if you pull up an amp you are presented with basic amp controls that everyone should be familiar with.

Don Watters likes this.
  3. OddManOut

OddManOut
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Hmmm...I didn’t watch the video, only read the review. (I was at work.) I thought the article did justice to the AxeFx.

Narzugon and markiv like this.
  4. markiv

markiv
    Expand Collapse
    New here

Agreed!

OddManOut likes this.
  5. Narzugon

Narzugon
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Agreed.

6. Don Watters

Don Watters
    Expand Collapse
    New here

I apologize if this offends anyone, but the review felt strange and disjointed to me. Second dude needs to lay off the Monster or the white powder before recording...:/ He was quite excited. Although he dialed up some nice riffs to match the presets he played through. I’m not sure that the ease of use and depth of complexity came through. The video is 30 minutes and my take always were, lots of cabs and amps, cool and weird presets, tweakers and plug-and-play players alike will get great sound. With a modicum of preparation, they could’ve easily covered the depth of effects, programmability with modifiers, tone match capabilities, tools and utilities, seller ecosystem, scenes and channels, the expansion of options provided by all of the compute power they were so enamored with, etc, etc, etc. It was as if they had just opened a present and started playing with it, and then videoed that process. It also looked like someone was off camera giving them hints about what to cover (Matt maybe?), but they’re recording this...just talk about it for a couple of minutes without recording, then go and record. After that, I had to go watch Cooper and Leon lay down the truth for us.

7. secondwindow

secondwindow
    Expand Collapse
    New here

8. Kent

Kent
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Bolinger is the Spicoli of reviewers and interviewers.

Don Watters and Narzugon like this.
  9. Narzugon

Narzugon
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Thats a great way of putting it. Although I'd rather see Spicoli do it. There can be only 1!

Don Watters likes this.
  10. pauly

pauly
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Another one that finds the axe fx is like a time machine - turning one hour into four :)
    Not so impressive were the reader comments after the review, but I guess the Internet is full of them.
    Thanks
    Pauly

Don Watters likes this.
  11. Narzugon

Narzugon
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Agreed. With that long of a video they could have covered a lot more ground with minimal prep time.

Don Watters likes this.
  12. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Dont apologize, Bolinger sucks at reviews

Don Watters likes this.