Preliminary CLR review for the mediocre bedroom player :)

Starfighter

Experienced
Hello friends!

Thought I would post a preliminary and non-scientific review of the Atomic CLR active wedge for the mediocre bedroom players (like myself) who are searching for the holy grail - how to make the most of the awesomeness that the Axe FX II puts out.

Background info

To put this into context, here´s a little background info: I am a newbie guitar player, started as an adult. My skill is limited to playing along to my favorite songs, mostly U2 and easy rock songs - and a little metal now and then. So my setup needs to reproduce the chimey AC-30-sound of The Edge with my Strat, and meaty Marshall-like power chords with my Les Pauls. I play mostly at home along with backing tracks - once in a while I play with a couple of other guitarist friends, and I´ve practiced with a band a handful of times.

I use headphones a lot (Grado Labs PS-500s through a Little Dot DAC II headphone amp/dac fed from the SPDIF OUT of the Axe FX) since I live in an apartment. For bedroom playing, I have been using Adam A3X studio monitors - with which I have been very satisfied. Enough headroom and oomph for the bedroom situation, and it has really given me a taste of that stereo sweetness the Axe delivers.

My decision process

But I also needed something that I could bring to guitar-and-beer sessions with my friends, and to band practice. I read a lot on this forum before I went for the Matrix Q12a. My experience with the Matrix has been positive, it´s a great piece of gear. Excellent build quality, clear and accurate sound and lots and lots of volume. In time, I felt the GAS coming on for a stereo setup - so back to the research board. My alternatives after a lot of reading up and listening to iPhone clips on YouTube (sounds familiar? :mrgreen) - came down to this:

• Matrix GT1000FX with 2x NL12s or NL212s
  • 2x Atomic CLR active wedges

Now why didn´t I just buy one more Q12a and get it over with? Well - the thing is. The Q12a is great piece of gear, but I found that I wasn´t able to dial in my patches in a way which gave me the same satisfactory sound as I got with my headphones or studio monitors. I felt I was lacking a bit in the low ends, in the fullness of the tone and general "oomph". It felt a bit thin - to my personal preference, mind you! (Disclaimer: I am perfectly aware that this is most probably due to my own inability to dial in my presets correctly - and no fault of the Q12a. Besides, I was running the Q12a in a mono setup comparing it to stereo setups - which of course isn´t fair at all. But I couldn´t financially justify buying another Q12a just to make the comparison fair.) In addition, the Q12a is cooled by a fan. It doesn´t make much noise, but to fan-noise allergic like myself even a little is too much. (Yes, I have replaced the stock fan in the Axe FX - voiding my warranty in the process ;) )

So I came down to the 2 alternatives listed above. I live on the 5th floor in a building with no elevator, so the NL-setup really appealed to both me and my back! However, I ended up with giving FRFR another chance. I really love using cab sims (thanks, Ownhammer!), and I want to be able to use my same presets for FOH in a band situation as I use in my bedroom. I know some guys are using NLs with cab sims on and like it, but it´s still not FRFR - so it will color the sound in some way. Maybe to the better in some cases, but it won´t be the same sound that I have dialed in using FRFR gear. So when the decision to go FRFR was made, here´s a list of the arguments that persuaded me to go for the CLRs opposed to other FRFR solutions:

• The great reviews on this forum (thanks to all the guys putting in the effort)
  • The versatility of the wedge shape
  • The different options on the I/O panel of the active CLR (thanks to Pete Thorn for the Youtube-video on that)
  • The passive cooling of the amp module

Ordering and delivery

I got on the list in the end of July, and received my 2 CLRs in late October. Usually I am very impatient when it comes to delivery of gear I have already decided to buy. In this case it was all right, since new gear is coming out all the time - and I really didn´t decide to buy the CLRs before I actually received my invite. And Tom King has been helpful with information all along, always giving rapid responses to my emails.

So finally, the order was made! I had some technical trouble on my end with the payment, again Tom King promptly helped my by email and phone so it was quickly sorted. I got my DHL tracking number, and I must have reloaded that webpage about 100 times. :D The funny thing was, as I work for an airline - I actually witnessed the DHL aircraft I knew was carrying my CLRs landing from Brussels as we were taxiing out for our departure:

IMG_0978_zps7ba83399.jpg

Guess who was in a hurry to get home! :D

Review

IMG_0985_zpsf1a402a3.jpg

So finally, my CLRs were in da house! The CLRs came in a sturdy package, with no damage. At first I couldn´t find the power cables that were supposed to be included, so I emailed Tom King believing they had missed something. To my embarrassment, they were secured to the inside of one of the cardboard supports. (Thanks to Tom King for being civil about it, :lol) So I placed them in the wedge position, quite close - about 50 cms on each side of my position, and connected them to the XLR output 1 of the Axe FX. I then plugged in my Les Paul, bridge volume pot on the guitar at 10 - and laid down some heavy strumming in a loop to perform the gain staging of the CLR as per the manual. Really easy, just adjusted the input until it tickled the red on the CLR panel, and turned it back down a hair. I set the master volume of the CLR to 12 o´clock and the DSP to "TILT". Picked my U2 One-preset, turned up output 1 volume on the Axe FX II a little bit and I was good to go!

bilde133_zps636f172e.jpg

First impression:

WOW! Can this really be? Listen to that rotary!

Switched to the Farfegnugen-preset (Das Metall-amp, higain metal) and ripped off some power chords.

Oh my god!! I am the Champion of Metal - I can feel my hair growing down my back and my trousers tightening!

Switched to my Strat and my Where The Streets Have No Name-preset, played with the Zoo TV version in the background through the Axe and the CLRs:

The first time ever I have played myself to tears (in a good way, at least :lol)...​

Playing some of my favorite MP3´s through the Axe and the CLRs:

Awesome!​

Ok, so this is not a review in the real sense of the word. It´s more of a really really subjective opinion from a not-so-good-guitar player looking for what he thinks of as great sound. But guys and gals, I have found it. I know; I haven´t tried it at gig volumes yet. I haven´t even tried it in a band setting. You have RocketBrothers extensive review for that.

But I can tell you, for me this is the missing link. This is what I have been looking for. This is what completes my Axe FX rig and puts its awesomeness out there. I now have the rich, full stereo sound I wanted with the added benefit of using my cab sims. Yes, they are heavy. Yes, they are expensive - at least from the bedroom players perspective. But they are so very much worth it. And I think the cost is justified by the level of quality with this product.

So have I found any cons? Well I have already mentioned the delivery time, weight and cost. I noticed after a while that they had some noticeable hiss when I wasn´t playing. After reading about a similar experience on this forum, I turned the Master volume on the CLRs down to the 9 o´clock position (25%). Hiss gone. More than enough volume for my use. Might have to crank it up a little in a band setting, but then the light hiss will not be an issue in any case.

To close off, I would like to mention that I hope that this thread doesn´t derail into a slagging contest. I will probably keep my Q12a, as it is a great product - and it gives me the opportunity to try out a WDW-rig when I feel ready to try that out. I have only positive experiences with both Matrix and Atomic - great products, and the customer support of both companies are absolutely stellar!

I called this a preliminary review, since I have only tried the CLRs in a bedroom setting so far - and only in the wedge position. I might chime in later when I get the chance to try them in different settings, and when they have accumulated some more playing time.

So take this for what it is - the personal opinion of a really happy amateur guitar player! :encouragement:

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to do this review. Your conclusions are exactly the same as mine. It also confirms my suspicions that not all FRFR are flat in their EQ response. Dialling in your sounds on the CLR will give you much more accurate translation to other systems such as PA and studio monitors. for example a boomy patch might sound normal on a FRFR speaker that is bass lite but played through a full range PA, Studio monitor or CLR it's true boominess will be revealed. Thus the CLR is the best solution for dialling your patches on to sound good FOH. As I stated in my review they compare favourably to ATC 100A monitors that I have in my studio which are extremely accurate. The main thing with the CLR is that they are just very enjoyable to play your guitar and AXE FX through with sound the way it's meant to be or at least as good as your dialling skills.

Have fun you've made a great decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great preliminary review man... as a home player my self I already know that when the time comes I will be loving the CLR's accuracy :encouragement: .

Curious, what headphones do you use?

These:

I use headphones a lot (Grado Labs PS-500s through a Little Dot DAC II headphone amp/dac fed from the SPDIF OUT of the Axe FX) since I live in an apartment. For bedroom playing, I have been using Adam A3X studio monitors - with which I have been very satisfied. Enough headroom and oomph for the bedroom situation, and it has really given me a taste of that stereo sweetness the Axe delivers.

:)

What differences do you perceive when you run the CLRs side by side with the Adams at the same volume? Is the difference more noticeable when putting guitar sounds through them than for music?

Great to hear they are working for you! I recommend them to everyone that asks. No hype, no BS. Just pro level gear that does the job exceptionally well.

Glad to see the CLRs works so well for you Starfighter.
I absolutely love mine in every scenario from bedroom to stage and I'm still completely blown away by their sound and quality every time I fire them up.
Pro quality at consumer price and the best FRFR monitors I've ever used.
I refer a lot of players to these and the Axe, when asked about my sound or for rig recommendations.

Last edited:
cool! glad you found something that is working for you
you sure have quite a collection of guitars for a ..................."newbie player" :#

dilemma dilemma dilemma !!!

Man, I got on the CLR waiting list a little over 5 weeks ago, and not being a very patient person, I keep having thoughts of jumping ship and just getting one of the great products from Matrix.

But then here comes another glowing review of the CLR and crap!!!....AAAAHHHHHHH!!! I guess I'll wait !!! LOL

Come on CLRs !!!!

You guys aren't making the wait any easier with these reviews, but keep em coming !!!:mrgreen:mrgreen:mrgreen

Congrats OP !!!!

I'm a (not too bad) bedroom player too! I was waiting for this kind of review! I'm living in an appartement too so good tone at low volume IS a big concern. Playing through small studio monitors, even good ones, never quite gave me full satisfaction! I'm looking for an active wedge and I'm hesitating between the Xitone Walliman and the CLR! I wonder if the extra cost and waiting list for the CLR is worth it! Your review is sure giving me some headaches! I once had the Matrix Q12a and didn't like it at all! Like you, I thought it sound thin and I had to boost mids like hell. How would you compare the CLR and the Q12a at low volume, especially regarding mids and highs? Thanks again for the review Captain, assuming you are a pilot!! ;)

What differences do you perceive when you run the CLRs side by side with the Adams at the same volume? Is the difference more noticeable when putting guitar sounds through them than for music?

I´m not very experienced with studio monitors so I do not have much to compare with, but the Adams are supposed to be very accurate speakers. My presets come out very similar sounding on the Adams compared with the CLRs, so I guess that indicates that they are both accurate. I find it´s hard to find the right words to explain the differences, but I´ll try. The main difference is that the CLR sound is a lot "bigger" if you know what I mean, even at low volume levels. There is more life to the sound, while it´s still accurate. I do not feel that the highs, lows or mids are exaggerated to achieve this. So far, I haven´t adjusted a single preset to better suit the CLR - they all come out as I´m used to hear them in my Adams or headphones - only with that extra "larger than life"-push. The difference is more noticeable the higher the volume level gets.

I'm a (not too bad) bedroom player too! I was waiting for this kind of review! I'm living in an appartement too so good tone at low volume IS a big concern. Playing through small studio monitors, even good ones, never quite gave me full satisfaction! I'm looking for an active wedge and I'm hesitating between the Xitone Walliman and the CLR! I wonder if the extra cost and waiting list for the CLR is worth it! Your review is sure giving me some headaches! I once had the Matrix Q12a and didn't like it at all! Like you, I thought it sound thin and I had to boost mids like hell. How would you compare the CLR and the Q12a at low volume, especially regarding mids and highs? Thanks again for the review Captain, assuming you are a pilot!! ;)

Well, I still like the Q12a - and so far I haven´t really done a side-by-side 1 on 1 comparison of the two in mono - so I can´t provide a good answer to your question. They both perform well at low volume, but I do feel that the CLRs present my presets more in line with what my studio monitors and headphones put out. The Q12a is accurate, so the presets sound right. It´s just that I wasn´t able to get that "big and alive" sound from it, I´m not really sure how to explain it. And again - keep in mind that I am comparing 2 CLRs in wedge position and stereo with 1 Q12a in mono. But to sum it all up - the CLRs give me the sound I am used to, but with the extra bang and push that just puts a big smile on your face - even at relatively low volumes :) From your description, it sounds like you have the same "sonic taste" as myself, so if the Q12a didn´t do it for you I would recommend you to check out a pair of CLRs :encouragement:

I read this.

1. My gear is pitiful compared to yours.
2. I should have been a commercial pilot.
3. English is probably your second or third language, and you wield it better than I do.
4. I am happy for you.
5. I am sad for the rest of us.

I read this.

1. My gear is pitiful compared to yours.
2. I should have been a commercial pilot.
3. English is probably your second or third language, and you wield it better than I do.
4. I am happy for you.
5. I am sad for the rest of us.

:D Off topic, but regarding point 2 - be glad that you are not. This business has gone down the drain, and we haven´t seen the bottom yet.

I have a chronic case of GAS, always buying way better gear than I really need. I married an understanding woman who has her own money and income, and we are DINK. Find solace in that you are most likely a WAY better guitarist than I am, so you are probably able to extract better sounds from your gear than I am from mine :encouragement:

I am so happy to hear this review. I am a Bedroom player who is awesome (LOL), kidding, but I have played 20 years so I can play. I currently use 2 studio Monitors and headphones. i've been talking to Tom and decided to get 1 Atpomic Active Wedge for playing in my Office.

I play all kinds of music, from U2 (who I really like), to heavier stuff. I am a child of the 80's so I am more of a rocker that has a diverse taste in music. I was litening to 10CC this morning, I'm not in Love....LOL so I can easily go from that to Dokken, to Ozzy, to U2, to Orleans Dance with me on the acoustic, to Andy Timmons, Journey, whatever.

Anyway, I might PM you, but for playing in my office (jam room) is 2 speakers a HUGE Plus? I ask this because I planned at only getting one?

I only see 2 being better because you would get stero sound and hear sounds left to right, etc.

Can you please give me your opinion on this? Have you ever played with just one speaker?

Congrats on the purchae! I have been waitring for what seems like 4-5 months still! I was told mid November maybe???

Thanks for the great review. Here is my set up now.

TEX............:mrgreen

I am so happy to hear this review. I am a Bedroom player who is awesome (LOL), kidding, but I have played 20 years so I can play. I currently use 2 studio Monitors and headphones. i've been talking to Tom and decided to get 1 Atpomic Active Wedge for playing in my Office.

I play all kinds of music, from U2 (who I really like), to heavier stuff. I am a child of the 80's so I am more of a rocker that has a diverse taste in music. I was litening to 10CC this morning, I'm not in Love....LOL so I can easily go from that to Dokken, to Ozzy, to U2, to Orleans Dance with me on the acoustic, to Andy Timmons, Journey, whatever.

Anyway, I might PM you, but for playing in my office (jam room) is 2 speakers a HUGE Plus? I ask this because I planned at only getting one?

I only see 2 being better because you would get stero sound and hear sounds left to right, etc.

Can you please give me your opinion on this? Have you ever played with just one speaker?

Great man cave you've got yourself there, I dig it! :applause: I see we have a lot of the same taste in music as well!

Well in my case, I got two CLRs because I felt that one FRFR speaker with a 1x12 element lacked something. I got two not only for the stereo effects, but also to have two separate 12" elements pushing air instead of only one. I have tried playing a little with one CLR only, and while it's still a great sound and plenty of push - it doesn't give me the same "bedroom-to-stadium-conversion-effect" if you know what I mean. With one, it's great sound and happy days. With two, I'm launched into a Walter Mitty-like rockstar daydream and I find myself turning the volume up to the point where the dog leaves the room and my wife bangs me on the head with a frying pan, in order to bring me back to the real world before the neighbors press charges...

It will be a very interesting day indeed, when I find the courage to experiment with a WDW-rig with the CLRs and the Q12a! Finally a threesome the wife can't put a stop to! ;)

This might not be what you wanted to hear, but remember - it's only my opinion, you might prefer something else. Two CLRs are a lot of money, so I can't really tell anyone to go down that road. If you buy the CLR to use only in your man cave, buying two is probably overkill. One is probably overkill. And you have your studio monitors, so you might bring them into the mix with the CLR - to achieve stereo sound supported with the big push of the CLR.

That said - overkill is fun, and with two CLRs in your face it's really hard to stop smiling :D

Back
Top Bottom