Preference at home .... In Ears Monitors or Headphones

fafakiwi

Experienced
Hi Everyone ,
There are lots of threads on Headphones , maybe one of the best topic with monitors /FrFr
I d like to know if many of you use In Ears Monitors at home to the Amy , practice , create sounds ... enjoy playing with in ears as they do for gigs , on stage ... or they only use them live , preferring classic headphones to play at home .
What is you experience ..??
Thanks for sharing ....
Fafa

For guitar I use wireless headphones so I don't keep having the cable hit the guitar.

If I am practicing vocals I use a wireless psm300 but with drummers headphones.

I don't like earphones unless it's with my phone as they become uncomfortable.

Live I only do vocals buts IEMs suck the life out of the music so I prefer to damage my hearing like an idiot lol

I prefer to use my monitors over my IEM for at home practice. The monitors allow for some room reflections and you can get some of the thump you would get from a traditional guitar cab. That said, IEMs are great and I prefer them to the over the ear headphones that I had previously been using.

I prefer to use my monitors over my IEM for at home practice. The monitors allow for some room reflections and you can get some of the thump you would get from a traditional guitar cab. That said, IEMs are great and I prefer them to the over the ear headphones that I had previously been using.
Which IEM are you using

Sennheiser HD650 for home but I am researching going wireless. Tried Axe to bluetooth wireless but far too much latency.

I prefer monitors.
IEMs are my second choice and I find I can forget I’m wearing them after a while. Also, you get a more realistic picture of your tone with IEMs in my humble opinion, as there’s less bleed of acoustic sound.
Headphones are too sweaty :) but I’ll use them sometimes as they are convenient.
Thanks
Pauly

I use Sennheiser HD 650 headphones and Shure SE-535 earphones because loud isn't tolerated very well here.

I have a GEQ block with EQ curves to flatten their little idiosyncrasies that I drop into a preset when I'm listening to it critically.

Experimenting with JTS siem 111 at the moment with mx202 ambient room mics placed round my studio, going through TM 30pro for eq etc and focusrite 18i20 2nd. Sounding good. I'm actually deaf in my right ear and find i play better with headphones or in ears, but tend to get a bit of headache after awhile. I also use matrix clr wedges, presonus 8 monitors with T10 sub and rcf 8' sounds fantastic!

Attachments

• 20210418_113817.jpg
    20210418_113817.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20210316_155314.jpg
    20210316_155314.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 13
.... what I d like to read is what are your feels playing at home with ears , the differencees of feelings with classic headphones , if you prefer in ears and why ...
i m thinking of investing in a really good pair of in ears monitors but my band does not play la lot anymore ... so should I prefer investing on a classic good headphones rather than very good in ears .....
Tell me your feels , the differences you feel playing only guitar with in ears ....

I prefer my semi open Sennheiser HD880 over my Se-535 in-ears at home. The Se-535 are great on stage, keeping all the noise away and getting the guitar as close at the ear as no cab ever could. But at home there's no need to block noise and the semi open 880 feels way better and comes closer to what I'm used to from using monitors.

In general you can't tell if a sound is good via in-ears or headphones. They are just compromises for tweaking, you can't judge what a sound will do when you send it to a p.a.

I agree, I much prefer good headphones at home. The semi open ones give a slightly more airy and open soundstage.

Unless you have a treated room at home, there's no guarantee that your presets will translate to PA using studio monitors. EQ wise, good headphones will probably get you closer. The stereo image and the wet FX levels are difficult to judge in headphones, but ideally you shouldn't listen to those in the context of the band. Wet FX levels that sound overwhelming in isolation may be barely audible in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom