Preamp for turntable?

CraigP

Inspired
Would I be able to configure the FX III to transfer some vinyl albums to my PC?

I have a couple of boxes full of albums and my stereo receiver is too good for an old phonograph input !!

I know I can get a preamp for the stereo for $20 but I would also like to bring the music with me, white noise, hiss, pops, crackle and all. Maybe the FX III can facilitate this?

Here’s some more detail on what Cliff was talking about …

The RIAA Curve

(immediately after posting this, I got a severe case of the heebie-jeebies in a “fools rush in where angels fear to tread” kind of way)

Ah I understand then. Thanks for the quick answer. :) I might just get a preamp for the stereo and enjoy those tunes at home.

And depends on what kind of cartridge in your turntable. Most good ones are "magnetic" (all are actually magnetic, just different magnets) and those require the preamp. Ceramic cartridges usually do not.

And depends on what kind of cartridge in your turntable. Most good ones are "magnetic" (all are actually magnetic, just different magnets) and those require the preamp. Ceramic cartridges usually do not.
And if on the unlikeliest of chances your were running WinLabs strain-gauge cartridges…It’s a proprietary preamp.

Of course you would only want to run it on the Win labs turn table.

The Win Research/Labs is esoteric as it comes. Vintage only as Dr. Sao Win is no longer producing commercially. (Long story, as I have known him most of my entire life.)

I use a Radial Engineering J33 turntable preamp with my mag pickup turntable setup. It is not the cheapest way of doing this, but it does sound quite amazing. Ariston RD80 with Linn Basik Plus, and if remember right, Rega R100 cartridge (for which styluses are no longer available, so will be thinking again at some point.) Only complaint is that I left the J33 preamp running on wall wart power supply continuously for a while (could have been a couple of months...) and the wall wart crapped out. Currently running on phantom power, but will need a new power supply if I ever want to plug it back into the Axe FX.

Liam

Depends if your turntable has a built-in preamp or not. If not, then no. A turntable preamp is a special type of preamp and includes an equalization curve (de-emphasis).
This is one of those things that should be in the debate of 'analog vs digital'

We spent 60 years developing this EQ for a turntable and tweaking it to sound good. 5 minutes after CD was released we were complaining.

This is one of those things that should be in the debate of 'analog vs digital'

We spent 60 years developing this EQ for a turntable and tweaking it to sound good. 5 minutes after CD was released we were complaining.
Not sure I understand your point. Care to clarify?

Back
Top Bottom