Pre-purchase question (AXE III)

All electronics are plagued by this issue.

if you need the latest and greatest wait. But keep in mind you can still call, text and surf the web on an iPhone 11, even if the camera on the 12 is 2% better.

Wait until which point in time? Is there any essential feature that is currently missing at the Axe-FX III?

(except the Pignose model, of course)

Hi All -

May be a silly question, but if I buy the Axe-FX III, am I risking it becoming obsolete soon and being replaced with a newer model? Most people recommend the Axe, but say unlike other modelers (Kemper, Helix) - Fractal updates it's hardware often, making the one you own sort of obsolete.

I had an Axe-II in the past, but didn't have that issue during my time with it (nothing new had been released yet).

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Thanks!
What is your definition of "obsolete"?

In 20 years the Axe FX III will sound just as good as it does today (or perhaps better, depending on upgrades).

Is a '59 Les Paul obsolete?

If you are worried about obsolescence, avoid any purchase that involves a microprocessor, microcontroller, memory, digital storage, etc. By comparison, analog designs don't appreciably change over the decades. Get a tube amp and an abacus.
^^^^This!!! If you were to go to - for example - Dell & buy the top-of-the-line, most advanced computer they have, you' still be buying obsolescence. There will ALWAYS be technology in the development pipeline that will render the currently available stuff as "old". The real question you need to ask is "will it serve my needs". Also, look beyond the pure technology aspect & consider good old-fashioned customer support. Fractal is second to none when it comes to this!!

My opinion is that the Dev's gotta eat too. If you buy for what's the newest coming out tomorrow you will have nothing to play thru for today. So you pick the best one available today, and the Axe-FX III Mk II is hard to beat. :cool:

Wow - thank you for all the responses! AXE III is on it's way. :)
You won’t regret it.

Prior to Cygnus it was great, now it’s insanely great and a nobrainer-decision because there is so much bang for the buck, and so many amps and pedals and cabinets inside it, you are saving yourself hundreds of thousands of dollars on gear purchases just by buying an AF3. Add some good headphones and monitors and you have a private rehearsal and recording space. Add a rack and a good FRFR cabinet or two and you can take your sounds to a stage.

Wow - thank you for all the responses! AXE III is on it's way. :)
I kind of felt the same thing as you. I have only had my AF3 for one day now. I am extremely glad I made that decision! What an awesome piece of gear! About a year and a half ago I bought a Kemper Stage. I wanted to return it after about an hour or so with it. I ended up doing a few of my own profiles which led me to like it a little better. I heard many horror stories about how the Fractal gear was a tweakers nightmare. Well, after owning both now: The Fractal is WAY easier to use and tweak. That Kemper is just well, best word to describe it: dumb. I am also on the waiting list to receive a Neural QC. My only problem now is: Do I return the QC? or Do I list it on Ebay for what I paid for it? Maybe some anxious person will pay more than I did? Funny thing is that because I kept getting backed up on the QC waitlist is what led me to start looking into the Axe 3. So, I want to publicly thank Neural for being so slow or I might not have jumped on the Fractal wagon. Thank you Neural!

Back
Top Bottom