Pre-purchase question (AXE III)

Megadupe

Hi All -

May be a silly question, but if I buy the Axe-FX III, am I risking it becoming obsolete soon and being replaced with a newer model? Most people recommend the Axe, but say unlike other modelers (Kemper, Helix) - Fractal updates it's hardware often, making the one you own sort of obsolete.

I had an Axe-II in the past, but didn't have that issue during my time with it (nothing new had been released yet).

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Thanks!

Obsolescence may have been an issue with digital gear in the early days, e.g. Zoom 606, or old rack gear, up until recently.

IMO, especially as it relates to the AF3: No. It will only be obsolete when perhaps the filter caps go ~30 years from now, if you so chose to use it that long.

The tone is the tone and always will be. Nothing will stop it from being indistinguishable from the amps it models. Nor will the effects diminish in quality. The only real tangible improvements at this point would be with latency and user-memory/storage.

Hi All -

May be a silly question, but if I buy the Axe-FX III, am I risking it becoming obsolete soon and being replaced with a newer model? Most people recommend the Axe, but say unlike other modelers (Kemper, Helix) - Fractal updates it's hardware often, making the one you own sort of obsolete.

I had an Axe-II in the past, but didn't have that issue during my time with it (nothing new had been released yet).

Thanks!

I would rather say that it is the other way around.

Investigate how often these kempers and helixes get a firmware update that is not just for correcting bugs but for adding unexpected features that make the users moan of pleasure, and compare with Fractal Audio.

The Axe-FX III is now under a major firmware upgrade (Cygnus). That says a lot about the intentions of the manufacturer to keep upgrading this product before the hardware gets "obsolete" (obsolete because all microprocessors get obsolete at some point, but the quality will not get obsolete)

I cannot imagine how the tone quality could be substantially improved, so the future successor of the Axe-FX III may just add bells and whistles.

Buy it and enjoy it now, or wait cryogenized for the next.

Last edited:
Well, at some it will be obsolete. I bought an AxeFX II back when it was the flagship, and it was AWESOME. It was the most amazing piece of equipment I had ever purchased and it blew my mind. When the III was released, it was a bit "awesomer", but didn't render my II obsolete. You'll see that there continue to be firmware releases for the II, and it's still a great piece of gear.

I did upgrade to the III after a while, and yes, it's super amazing. That makes Fractal Audio gear such an incredible value is the constant, relentless pursuit of better tone. The firmware updates come regularly, and they make the magic box more magical.

Buy the III. You won't regret it.

If you are worried about obsolescence, avoid any purchase that involves a microprocessor, microcontroller, memory, digital storage, etc. By comparison, analog designs don't appreciably change over the decades. Get a tube amp and an abacus.
Tube amps are obsolete technology. It is a thing for the nostalgics and fanatics only

Hi All -

Thanks!
The only risk could be that you want a second one :) .

I know your question is sincere. But, as @steadystate said above........Technology will move forward. Can't stop that.
I honestly don't see how the AXE FXIII or the FM3 can sound any better. Sure maybe bells and whistles, and some peoples little wishes will be added, but, jeeezzzz, that does NOT affect my fractal gear.

ALERT: No one but Cliff Chase knows when a new product will come out and that's the bottom line.

Everyone else is guessing, including me. Buy one now...You will have NO regrets...

Tube amps are obsolete technology. It is a thing for the nostalgics and fanatics only
I disagree. Although I no longer use one, playing through one is a visceral experience that will never become obsolete. If a player is worried about technological obsolescence, a digital signal processor presents far more of a risk than a tube amp. Amp technology has changed very little.

I disagree. Although I no longer use one, playing through one is a visceral experience that will never become obsolete. If a player is worried about technological obsolescence, a digital signal processor presents far more of a risk than a tube amp. Amp technology has changed very little.
Well, kinda. A tube amp is a wonderful thing to play through but tubes, especially good quality tubes, are getting harder to find and their prices keep going up, because the technology to make them is environmentally unsound, and the market isn't big enough to sustain the manufacturers.

Fractal is leading the charge for digital, and that means that the demand for tubes will reduce, which will help pricing a bit, but it will also affect the remaining companies making them. Digital processing doesn't age; The algorithms improve and as long as the hardware can run the code it is viable and stays relevant. And, even when a new processor comes out the old ones continue working at their current state, which in the case of Cygnus, is really good.

I hear your fear and it’s a point worth considering. I purchased my 2XL+ about 90 days before the 3 was introduced and felt somewhat financially sucker-punched — but it didn’t stop me from upgrading to a 3 last year anyway. Turns out the resale of my 2 was strong enough to make the flip far less painful than anticipated. That said, be aware you’re buying hardware for sure — but what you’re really buying is Fractal’s relentless firmware updates (and the major improvements therein) AND membership in the most knowledgeable and dedicated user base anywhere.

Dig having the best sounding/playing modeler experience ever — just don’t ever question the front panel layout/button colors/etc. 😁

I just wonder how it could sound better, people are saying Cygnus FW ) (I am at 15 yet) but I dunno man, it is with every release more difficult for my ears to appreciate substantial improvements, or maybe I just lack the proper tone connoisseur vocabulary :p

Unless you think you are going to need more substantial routing capabilities or features the III does not have, like profiling (if you want that) I'd say the current model shall be great for years to come.

PS.: I am actually saving for the IV already LoL

Hi All -

Thanks!
Is this an April fool?

Which of the many Line6 helix modellers are you referring to? The Helix floor, Helix rack, Helix LT, Helix Stomp, Helix Stomp XL or Helix Effects?? Thats an example of a company thats bringing out loads of products based on the same technology to make previous ones seem obsolete....

Oh and i forgot the Helix software plugin.....

Is this an April fool?

Which of the many Line6 helix modellers are you referring to? The Helix floor, Helix rack, Helix LT, Helix Stomp, Helix Stomp XL or Helix Effects?? Thats an example of a company thats bringing out loads of products based on the same technology to make previous ones seem obsolete....

Oh and i forgot the Helix software plugin.....

And Roland/Boss. They are carrying the old COSM from product to product without substantial improvement

Back
Top Bottom