Pre EQ'ing for different guitar sounds.

Sixstring

Legend!
I have been working on my Andy Summers tone for a few days and aside from buying a cheap Tele which I am considering, for the time being I am strapped to pre EQ'ing to get a Tele sound out of a coil tapped humbucker. Has anyone been working on this found a good recipe for doing this? I have come close but it's still missing something that I just can't seem to get right.

I tried tonematching other guitar's pickups in the past... with mixed results. I've found that tonematching a piezo to a magnetic pickup works slightly better than tonematching two magnetics to each other (as piezos have a wider frequency range). But no results were really usable. You just can't EQ dynamics.
I guess there's no way around having multiple guitars for now until Line6 finally comes up with a Variax that has quality components...

EDIT: There's an alternative, though: equip one of your guitars with a tele pickup. I guess we all own at least one guitar that has a pickup we rarely ever use... perfect candidate.

I tried tonematching other guitar's pickups in the past... with mixed results. I've found that tonematching a piezo to a magnetic pickup works slightly better than tonematching two magnetics to each other (as piezos have a wider frequency range). But no results were really usable. You just can't EQ dynamics.
I guess there's no way around having multiple guitars for now until Line6 finally comes up with a Variax that has quality components...

EDIT: There's an alternative, though: equip one of your guitars with a tele pickup. I guess we all own at least one guitar that has a pickup we rarely ever use... perfect candidate.

Thanks for the reply man! I figured as much but I thought I would ask to see if anyone else has been messing with it. I thought maybe if you started with a single type of sound one could EQ the rest of the way there, which I have done but theres that last bit of Tele that you just cant EQ. I'm just going to have to grab a Tele to get the rest of the way there.

I was going for a Keith Urban vibe with my LP the other day... definitely not an easy undertaking, but the results were usable. I used the PEQ up front, hi/lo'd ~115Hz & 5 or 6KHz respectively, wide Q mid boost (for hotter signal, so wide it didn't do much to the tone), bumped presence considerably ~1.5KHz, and cut some lows/low mids.

It wasn't a homerun, but turned out ok considering I was starting with a BKP Rebel Yell bridge. You'd probably have better luck starting with a coil tapped pup.

I'm close with what I have to use... mainly going after a few songs "Walking on the moon", "Hole in my life" a few off the zenyatta mondatta recording. I'm really close with compression, delays and the Mistress effects it's just the Tele spank or whatever it is about a Tele that makes it a Tele.

Can you share how you emulated the Electric Mistress flanger? This is something I've tried to do on several occasions (including downloading some blocks and controller files, but they seemed to result in just a regular flanger effect), to no avail.

Andy Summers, David Gilmore and Alex Lifeson were major influences in my youth and to have the Electric Mistress in my arsenal of sounds would absolutely make my day - could you possibly post a copy of one of your presets, so I can see how you've done it?

Can you share how you emulated the Electric Mistress flanger? This is something I've tried to do on several occasions (including downloading some blocks and controller files, but they seemed to result in just a regular flanger effect), to no avail.

Andy Summers, David Gilmore and Alex Lifeson were major influences in my youth and to have the Electric Mistress in my arsenal of sounds would absolutely make my day - could you possibly post a copy of one of your presets, so I can see how you've done it?

Simply put I cheated! :lol I have a added a Chorus in the signal chain along with the Flanger. I couldn't get anything that sounded close to this effect without doing it this way. So I used my ears, broke the rules and used a Chorus along with the flanger.

"Disclaimer" For me this preset works pretty good with the guitar I'm using (Carvin California Carve top with a coil tapped humbucker) and FRFR monitors, it's not 100% but is pretty convincing... at least to my ears. You are more then welcome to it tune anyway you need to to see if it will work for you. It might translate it might not, also keep in mind that I am playing with the track and it is tuned so it will sit in the mix. I also have a looper in the chain for the opening chord to be repeated.

Here's the file Cheers!

View attachment Walking on the Moon.syx

EDIT: I also pulled the pre EQ out of this preset neutered the amp EQ as it seemed to yield better results.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for posting the preset - I'm fairly busy for the next wee while, but I should get a chance to try it in a week or so - looking forward to it!

In the meantime, here is a link to the block files (from JavaJunkie) for the Electric Mistress emulation:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/blogs...cts-emulations-electric-mistress-flanger.html

I've watched a few YouTube videos on getting the Andy Summers sound and the Electric Mistress seems to be one of the keys (along with compression and delay) - I'm pretty sure I've placed JavaJunkie's files in the correct location(s) and configured the controller block, but the result just sounds like the stock flanger to me. :?

You might have more luck in getting it working than me (and please let me know if you do, so I can pick your brains!), but thanks again for kindly posting your preset!

Back
Top Bottom