Powerline network interference solution? Amp noise, modellers not affected

M.M.

Hello,

I've been using my amps with a loadbox for a while, and today when I was going to "dust off" my cabinet, I came across this noise.

Tried with different amps and it doesn't make any difference.

I'm pretty sure this is being caused by powerline network adapters I installed recently, anyone else ever come across something similar? Any options without removing the powelines? I don't have a way to get ethernet upstairs otherwise.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Anyone? I'm starting to use my amps again for recording and this is starting to bug me a bit :sweatsmile:

Following the operating instructions of the manufacturer devolo Powerline adapter have to be inserted directly into a wall plug. Nothing else. No exception.

Powerline adapters are not intended to and must (!) not be plugged into any extension cablebox containing several plugs.

On support of several customer‘s self-and-wrongly done installations I found that if the adapter is not plugged in directly into a wall plug you will experience
a) heavily degraded network performance down to no network traffic at all and
b) depending on the surrounding devices heavily problems of different kind.

Following the operating instructions of the manufacturer devolo Powerline adapter have to be inserted directly into a wall plug. Nothing else. No exception.

Powerline adapters are not intended to and must (!) not be plugged into any extension cablebox containing several plugs.

On support of several customer‘s self-and-wrongly done installations I found that if the adapter is not plugged in directly into a wall plug you will experience
a) heavily degraded network performance down to no network traffic at all and
b) depending on the surrounding devices heavily problems of different kind.
Powerline adaptors are on the wall, but it's their nature to introduce noise on the power grid - they code a signal into the electricity, so it makes sense the noise is there. The amps are on another wall plug, but being in the same room as the powerline adaptor, they all get the noise (same circuit/circuit breaker on the house power grid).

My suggestion here is to get rid of those things. They are an absolute nuisance. I had a similar issue and they were actually amplifying the noise throughout the line. Once I removed them, it was quiet. I ended up getting a new router that has mesh capabilities and run a repeater in my upstairs area and no more noise.

Powerline adaptors are on the wall, but it's their nature to introduce noise on the power grid - they code a signal into the electricity, so it makes sense the noise is there. The amps are on another wall plug, but being in the same room as the powerline adaptor, they all get the noise (same circuit/circuit breaker on the house power grid).
As you correctly said:
A powerline adaptor modulates the network signal onto the electric line.
Thus the electric line now carries an onto-modulated high-frequency signal.
That‘s the nature of the game.

But normally, the high frequency is filtered in the power supplies of the connected devices. And in my experience (relating only on work in my country) the filtering is usually well.
But of course there may always be a badly constructed or damaged power supply out there.

Does the noise completely stop when you plug off all powerline adaptors ?

If not, the problem is somewhere else, not in the powerline adaptors.

If yes, you may try a high frequency filter in the power connector of the disturbed device.

And last, not least, be aware of a) EMI and b) ground loops. Both of them can introduce all kind of noise trouble you can imagine.

Back
Top Bottom