Powering the MFC MKIII to use w/AxeIII

brianv4

Fractal Fanatic
Ok, so I got one of these: https://btpa.com/MIDI57B-XX.html

Connected the 7-pin end to the MCF MKIII midi out, 5 pin end to midi in of the Axe III. Plugged in the MFC's power supply and connected it to the power connector of the midi cable. Nothing, no power to the MFC.

Am I missing a setting on the MFC?

I used to use one of those, made by Rocktron, and it powered the MFC Mk I fine. I still have the cable, actually using it to power a Ground Control (the old 12 button one) right now. Should work.

Try the power supply direct into the MFC. If that works, plug it back up to the cable and test pins 6 and 7. Power should be coming in on those. If your test leads aren't insulated, be careful... doesn't take a lot to short the connectors inside there.

Mine is this one: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/rocktron-5-pin-to-7-pin-rdmh-midi-cable

If your using the mfc power supply can’t you use just normal 5 pin midi ?

I thought the 7 pin was only if you wanted to use that to power the mfc, sans power supply, similar to how it worked over Ethernet cable or faslink xlr ?

I thought the 7 pin was only if you wanted to use that to power the mfc, sans power supply, similar to how it worked over Ethernet cable or faslink xlr ?
This cable is to power the MFC from your rack like you would with Phantom power. The power supply is plugged into your power source in the rack with the barrel end plugged into this specialty MIDI cable. You plug the barrel end into the 9 volt plug on the 5 pin end of this cable. The 7 pin end goes to the MFC to power it. Should theoretically work.

i want to power from the rack not the MFC so you need to use a 5 to 7 pin cable. pins 6/7 carry the power

This cable is to power the MFC from your rack like you would with Phantom power. The power supply is plugged into your power source in the rack with the barrel end plugged into this specialty MIDI cable. You plug the barrel end into the 9 volt plug on the 5 pin end of this cable. The 7 pin end goes to the MFC to power it. Should theoretically work.
that's how i have it, not a complicated thing. i'll have to meter the pins. must be a defective cable. unusual for best-tronics but not impossible i guess.

My vote is still for the polarity. But it looks easy enough to take apart the end that the barrel is on and just flip the wires, if that is the case.

I thought I had read somewhere that
You cannot power the MFC from the Axe3 the only controller that will be able to be phantom powered is the upcoming FC switches through Faslink I could be wrong though

that's how i have it, not a complicated thing. i'll have to meter the pins. must be a defective cable. unusual for best-tronics but not impossible i guess.
Mine will be here later this week. I’ll let you know if it works or not.

My vote is still for the polarity. But it looks easy enough to take apart the end that the barrel is on and just flip the wires, if that is the case.

The MFC takes AC voltage. By definition, the polarity is switching at about 60 Hz in the US, so no worries on that front. I like that AC is the de facto voltage type for most larger MIDI controllers. It makes powering them a lot easier.

Back
Top Bottom