Powering MFC-101 into Axe II

Griff_NZ

Inspired
Hey team. I need some links to what 9v power supply or midi cable to phantom to use to power my mfc. I have an Axe 2 mkII.
Thanks.

Plain old RJ-45 Ethernet cable.... keeps it simple. Just make sure you don't accidentally plug a USB cable into the RJ-45 port on the back of the Axe2

Thanks Bob. Just read about that elsewhere. I originally thought this was the case but it's not powering up so gonna have to do a reset I think.

From the MFC manual:
3.2 Selecting a Port
The MFC-°©‐101 sends and receives data only on one port type at a time.
1. Press EDIT footswitch to enter EDIT MODE.
2. Press MIDI footswitch for the MIDI menu to arrive at the USE PORT screen:
3. Press INCR or DECR to select “MIDI”, “EXPANSION”, (to use EtherNet/EtherCON)
4. Press EXIT to return to PERFORMANCE MODE.

Just make sure you do NOT have anything but the AC adapter plugged in to the MFC when you set this. You also need to set the Axe II to use the expansion port. I think that is in the midi settings. After you have both set, unplug the MFC power supply, turn off the Axe, then plug in the ethernet cable & it should power up.

I managed to track this power supply down for the Line 6 stuff guys. Its 2000mA. Will this work safely?
https://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/line-6-9vac-2000ma-power-supply.html
I found this post where a member says this is the power supply Fractal recommended: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ply-power-a-mfc-101-safely.82983/post-1008794
The 2000mA rating is not a problem as the MFC only requires 1000mA. Just make sure the one you get is no lower than 1000mA & has a 2.5mm Female Plug or it might not fit the MFC.

Thanks man. Yeah I saw that post too. I'm trying to order something local as I have a gig in 3 weeks. I opened up my axe and the resistor network around the ethernet port is fried. Somebody has tried a live USB in there, so ethernet is out of the equation.

Thanks man. Yeah I saw that post too. I'm trying to order something local as I have a gig in 3 weeks. I opened up my axe and the resistor network around the ethernet port is fried. Somebody has tried a live USB in there, so ethernet is out of the equation.
Yeah, I saw you were in NZ & needed a 240v but at least you have the info to get a workable power supply. That sucks the port is fried! You can always contact Fractal tech support. They may be able to help with a replacement part. If you get a power supply you can at least power the MFC with a 7 pin midi cable.

Ok so I need the line 6 power supply AND the 7 pin midi even though it's already got power?
with a 5 pin midi cable, you'd plug the Power into the MFC and connect the midi from Axe Out to MFC In.

with a 7 pin midi cable, you can plug the Power into the Axe "Midi In Phantom Power", then run the 7 pin from Axe Out to MFC In and power will go over that 7 pin. so just one cable going to the MFC. i ran this way for years back in the Axe2 days. it keeps all the power in the rack, and just one cable out to the front.

Sweet. That's what I thought. I'll run 2 cables for now until I can get my ethernet port fixed. I'm not sure I could get a 7 pin midi to phantom Jack in NZ anyway. Would take a while from overseas.

Sweet. That's what I thought. I'll run 2 cables for now until I can get my ethernet port fixed. I'm not sure I could get a 7 pin midi to phantom Jack in NZ anyway. Would take a while from overseas.
Either way will work for sure. You would only need a 7 pin midi cable to run phantom power. The phantom power jack is already on the back of the Axe.

The phantom power should not exceed 1000mA per the manual.

Also, just be aware that you don't want to exceed 20 feet on your midi cable... The phantom over 7 pin is very hit or miss and the longer cables are less likely to work.

Back
Top Bottom