Powered version

MrPond

Experienced
Hey!

Currently, i‘m a FM3 user but i can see me switching to the III when my band is fully digital and we can store everything in one rack.

What i would really love to see is a powered version of the Axe Fx (like the powered Kemper rack). Saving space and a bit money would be a good thing, also minimizing cables, external signal routings and devices. There could be an option to configure which out block is going internally to the real power amp for still being flexible. There are many people who are enjoing real cabs…

Maybe partnering with matrix to have something integrated would be the best? Or something own?

So long,
Niklas

Last edited:
How much power? How many outputs? What outputs get replaced? How heavy will it be? 4u?

• Power: I'm cool with currently 170W (Powerstage 170, mono), more would be of course cool! Kemper is 600W but sounded weaker somehow
  • Outputs: I'm ok with mono, but stereo would be awesome, for sure
  • Replacing outputs: Maybe additional outputs are a better fit then replacing
  • Weight: I don't think a combined version will be heavier then two separate units. But even if, no problem for me ..
  • Rack space: Kemper fitted everything in the same unit. But even if the height is 4U compared to 3U, it's cool because a matrix power amp is also 1U at minimum

How do you figure this would save you money?

I can think of saving material (casing, components) and combined advertisement costs.
But here is a thought: I would even consider paying a little extra to have everything from one manufacturer and in one unit instead :)

A powered version would most likely have to involve some kind of Class-D amplification. That’d be a big, fat negative for me.

Reactions: JTI
And for me and many others a big positive. And now? ;)
I can scroll to countless rigs of players with axe's and class-d poweramps - those are all potential buyers of an all-inclusive unit.
I don't like mentioning Kemper that much, but they have this as an option and many really like this approach: Buy the naked version and do whatever you want, or but the powered version and call it a day.

An interesting idea, kind of like the form/function of a Quilter "pedal amp", but with everything Fractal in it. As much as I love that Fractal excels at almost everything in one package, that might be a bridge too far for me. I'm guessing if it were technically feasible, it would increase the size, make it at least 300-600 more expensive, and make it an even bigger potential single-point of failure.

I think Fractal proved over so many years top-quality products - I have faith :)
I know a few people with powered versions and they mostly play direct without real cabs, but they like to have possibilities and sometimes a real cab without any additional stuff - so even not the die-hard real-cab players would consider buying a powered version, just to be safe in the future and for all kinds of scenarios :)

The SS amp Cliff has historically posted about (and presumably would be what he could "live with") is going to be super expensive when bundled with the III. But a powerstage or whatever and move on.

Fair request I feel. Maybe a separate fractal power amp designed to work in tandem with the other fractal modelers. Maybe a modeling power amp that models power sections. Who knows. Lots can be done here.

Low demand item overall and for those who could use such a feature, way to many variables with regards to outputs, power rating, size, cost/quality etc.

As a result, even if they did build one, only some out of a minority of users would find it checks off all their boxes

As a result, can’t see it happening anymore than I could see a FAS powered monitor as just can’t please enough people and the market is already so saturated.

I love the positive attitude of you all … 🤨
I thought this section is about having discussions? „whatever and move on“ … well, mkay.

Rejection of an idea isn't inherently positive or negative. Many people feel like the idea isn't one worth entertaining, and they're expressing that sentiment.

A short discussion is still a discussion.

While this is the exact opposite direction I would like the AXE to move in, maybe they can make two versions: 1) a powered version for those who still have an affinity for the old school stage volume, and 2) a 2U version for the modern player who uses the AXE to replace knobs, amps, power amps and cabinets and all the other stuff the AXE was built to replace. Or perhaps more likely, maybe they continue to expand their modular approach with a 2U AXE and a 2U power amp optimized to work seemlessly with the AXE.

A Fractal pedal. Containing a ~35-50 W Power amp like a Quilter, 6-7 amp settings (only FAS models) in a rotary switch, with basic amp controls, balanced and speakon outputs and USB interface. Sounds crazy, but it just might work at a $350 price point :)

Back
Top Bottom