Powered Speakers vs. Passive Speakers vs. Guitar Cab

EVHalen

Inspired
I'm in the process of getting my rig set up and I've been wondering: is there a benefit to using a Matrix (or similar) power amp and going into a passive PA speaker? Or will using a powered PA speaker and skipping the Matrix sound just as good?

I had originally thought it would be a cool idea to use the Matrix and a guitar cab, but then it occurred to me that I would have to turn the Axe FX 2 cab simulators off. That being the case, it would probably sound pretty terrible to go direct into FOH at the same time, with no cab simulation. So using a FRFR PA speaker would allow me to keep the cab simulator on, and make everything sound good through FOH, correct?

You can use out 1 to FOH with cab sim on and out 2 to your guitarcabs - without cab-block (if you put a fx-block to the left of the cab-block u will no get cab-sim to out 2)
The matrix is a neutralsounding poweramp... keep PA-sim on if u will use this one.

Hi EVH,

a pro of using a seperate amp like a Matrix GT1000Fx is the the fact you can use it with any cab you like, be it good ol' guitar cabs or FRFR.
Sound wise there is not going to be too much of a difference between a GT1000FX and a (passive) Q12 or using the active version direct.
The GM50 amp module used in the active version is said to be very similar.

At the moment I'm using my AxeFx with the GT1000FX and a guitar cab, at the same time i go to FOH. This can be easily done using out1 for FOH and out2 for the amp/guitar cab.
If you put a FX loop in your chain, before and parallel to your cab block this will automagically send the signal to out2. Because it is before the cab block the signal is perfect for a guitar cab.
You get best of both worlds.

Cons:
on stage you don't hear something similar to that what comes out of the PA. (unless you IR your cab, or find an IR that is very similar to your cab, but hen again cab sound is not the same as a miced cab sound)
Leveling out you patches can be tricky. same level on your cab does not mean same level for the PA.
EQ and feel are not easy to match.
Because cabs are a big part of the sound, amps tend to sound the same, or some won't work at all, through one and the same guitar cab.

How a Q12 works out with the GT1000FX I will find out soon. There is one heading my way.

Reactions: LVC
Thanks for the pointers guys! I didn't know out 1 and out 2 could work that way before. But since there could be such a variance between the sound of a guitar cab and the sound of going direct to FOH, wouldn't it be best to do only one or the other? For example: either go direct in and use the venue's wedge monitor as your stage volume, or use a guitar cab and have the venue mic it? Which are the pros and cons of each of those options?

Or there's the FRFR speaker option + going into FOH at the same time. That seems like it would give a pretty consistent sound in theory.

Yes, EVH, that's the way most of us (or at least a bunch of us) run. Ideally your FRFR monitor will closely approximate the FOH sounds - nearly impossible if you gig around much, but a decent FRFR for monitoring is still a great option.

In my case, I play in the same place each weekend and was able to easily get my Mackie DLM8 to match up well with our JBL FOH system. It sure makes life easier and more fun.

Back
Top Bottom