Powered Speaker solution - non-US Fractal owner

Felipe Schmidt

Hey there!

New to forums and to Axe Fx, in general. I am testing some stuff here and there - mostly playing my Fractal through headphones and in ear monitoring. Thing I should note is I'm a bassist, although not the most conservative type of bassist, as most bassist happen to be.

I was looking for some alternatives in backlining, and I see a lot of threads about Matrix, Xitone, CLR... but I live in Brazil. Those brands do not come by easily, and when they do, they cost up to five times what they cost in the US. On the other hand, brands like JBL, QSC and such, do come by, although not the most affordable, I could sell my two 4x10s and afford a couple of those, if needed.

Bottom line: Can someone suggest some Powered speakers that are not Matrix, Xitone, CLR? My mind is not made for JBL, or QSC, or any other. I really wanted some suggestions.

Yamaha DXR series is well received by the FRFR community. Unfortunately, good FRFR stereo setups are expensive everywhere. If you are just jamming in your room, and don't need stage volume levels, studio monitors are much better for the price, than stage monitors like CLR, Xi-tone, Matrix, etc...

Agree that if you are not playing out, studio monitors are a great way to go. Lots of good brands. I have Adams. You probably also want a subwoofer for the bass.

Yamaha DXR series is well received by the FRFR community. Unfortunately, good FRFR stereo setups are expensive everywhere. If you are just jamming in your room, and don't need stage volume levels, studio monitors are much better for the price, than stage monitors like CLR, Xi-tone, Matrix, etc...

Thank you for the suggestion! I haven't thought of Yamaha, I'll make sure to check one out.

Yes, I understood that good setups might be expensive. The problem for Brazil is finding good gear in the first place, and then affording it. More often than not, I choose to import - even though custom are disastrous in Brazil - just so I can have quality gear. But since I want to experiment on the "FRFR" world, I figured I should not expend too much on it, for now at least.

Agree that if you are not playing out, studio monitors are a great way to go. Lots of good brands. I have Adams. You probably also want a subwoofer for the bass.

In my home I can't use monitors, I live in an apartment and there are a couple rules for loud instruments. Since my neighbors don't like me a lot, I don't want to give them that edge. But I do play out, from time to time - I'd say a gig every 45 days or so. And sometimes, it's just the band with little PA support, so I need some volume. I will research a little about that Yamaha... :)

Thanks for the help!

Thank you for the suggestion! I haven't thought of Yamaha, I'll make sure to check one out.

Yes, I understood that good setups might be expensive. The problem for Brazil is finding good gear in the first place, and then affording it. More often than not, I choose to import - even though custom are disastrous in Brazil - just so I can have quality gear. But since I want to experiment on the "FRFR" world, I figured I should not expend too much on it, for now at least.

In my home I can't use monitors, I live in an apartment and there are a couple rules for loud instruments. Since my neighbors don't like me a lot, I don't want to give them that edge. But I do play out, from time to time - I'd say a gig every 45 days or so. And sometimes, it's just the band with little PA support, so I need some volume. I will research a little about that Yamaha... :)

Thanks for the help!

Felipe, eu usei durante um tempo o QSC K8 e ele eh leve, portatil and com volume suficiente pra fazer uma gig com banda. Agora tenho o CLR mas o QSC nao ta longe em termos de qualidade e fidelidade.

Felipe, eu usei durante um tempo o QSC K8 e ele eh leve, portatil and com volume suficiente pra fazer uma gig com banda. Agora tenho o CLR mas o QSC nao ta longe em termos de qualidade e fidelidade.

Muito bom saber disso! Você chegou a testar as caixas com falante maior? Percebeu diferença nas respostas de grave com falantes maiores?

Muito bom saber disso! Você chegou a testar as caixas com falante maior? Percebeu diferença nas respostas de grave com falantes maiores?

Eu testei o K8 contra o DXR10 da Yamaha e o CLR.
Em termos de grave seria DXR10 > K8 > CLR (menos grave - o que eu acho que faz muito mais sentido com guitarra).

O k8 tem tb 3 opcoes pra grave.. eu sempre usei a opcao com menos grave pq era demais da conta :)

If you need high volume levels, you need to be able to tune your presets at that level. They will not sound the same at various volume levels.

Eu testei o K8 contra o DXR10 da Yamaha e o CLR.
Em termos de grave seria DXR10 > K8 > CLR (menos grave - o que eu acho que faz muito mais sentido com guitarra).

O k8 tem tb 3 opcoes pra grave.. eu sempre usei a opcao com menos grave pq era demais da conta :)

Eu fiz um show na sexta com uma Alto TS115, e já foi bom. Estou mais que nunca querendo ir nesse caminho. :) Para mim, grave não é coisa ruim não, muito pelo contrário.

If you need high volume levels, you need to be able to tune your presets at that level. They will not sound the same at various volume levels.

Yeah, figured that the hard way. Is there any way to predict this? Or does every speaker have a characteristic that you cannot, in a certain way, profile?

I think the only thing you can predict is that you will get MORE at higher volume. So presets that sound like they are light on bass, treble, mid-range, gain or effects, will sound more bass, mid, treble, gain, effect heavy at volume.

You know, you might find that buying a Matrix FR12 from the US and shipping it in is not all that much of a price disadvantage. The FR12 only weighs a little over 20 pounds so shipping to me in Hawaii was not that expensive. The FR12 also has a feature where you can set the amp to replicate what it will sound like at higher volume at low volume. This isn't spot on, but it's pretty close. In terms of sound, it's beamy-er than a CLR, not quite as loud as a CLR and not as transparent. But the portability and other features might make it a good fit for you unless you have to pay big customs duty. I have played some good sized clubs with just the FR12 and it was fine.

Whoops. I forgot you are a bassist. There are probably better speakers than the FR12 for that. A bass might blow an FR12 up.

I think the only thing you can predict is that you will get MORE at higher volume. So presets that sound like they are light on bass, treble, mid-range, gain or effects, will sound more bass, mid, treble, gain, effect heavy at volume.

You know, you might find that buying a Matrix FR12 from the US and shipping it in is not all that much of a price disadvantage. The FR12 only weighs a little over 20 pounds so shipping to me in Hawaii was not that expensive. The FR12 also has a feature where you can set the amp to replicate what it will sound like at higher volume at low volume. This isn't spot on, but it's pretty close. In terms of sound, it's beamy-er than a CLR, not quite as loud as a CLR and not as transparent. But the portability and other features might make it a good fit for you unless you have to pay big customs duty. I have played some good sized clubs with just the FR12 and it was fine.

Hmmmm.... that's good to know, and it's a consideration to start having. As a bassist i always opted to use blenders with my effects, and the reality was quite the opposite. As it got louder, the distortion would fade away.

About the Matrix, quick math so you can understand what Brazil is like. FR12 (799 USD) + shipping (100USD) = 1790 USD end price in Brazil, basically no financing.

A QSC K12 would be around 1100 USD, with the possibility of financing some of it.

Whoops. I forgot you are a bassist. There are probably better speakers than the FR12 for that. A bass might blow an FR12 up.

I figured as much... but the example of the abusive taxes is valid on bass AND guitars alike. :p

Back
Top Bottom