Powered by: Atomic Reactor

6L6C

Power User
I just thought I would write down some thoughts on this unit, for anyone that might be interested. Keep certain things in mind. First it’s a $500 mono power amp (MB50) compared to my $300 Carvin stereo power amp (DCM200L). Second I have only had the MB50 since yesterday.

MB50.jpg

The MB50 is built really well very solid; also think it is allot better looking in person than in photos. And yes, it sounds awesome too!

Why the block?? I have been looking at the Atomic cabs which come passive and powered, (I will get one) but as of right now I love playing out of my 2x12 Recto. I like the consistency of the one cabinet, old guy, old school maybe? This could change when I get the passive Atomic cab. So I got the block so it would not be a slave to one system.

What attracted me to the MB50? Pretty much some YouTube videos, even if they were not the best videos when I heard an Axe Fx> MB50> real cab something just grabbed my attention. And off coarse the “Samhill” videos the push over the cliff for me. Mark’s videos have always been done with a certain consistency which makes it easier for me to judge anytime he made a change (Thanks Mark!!) Mark has always had a great sound, but when he did a demo with his Atomic wedges my first reaction was, whoo--- nice! Not a real cab in this case but have to give the power amp some credit.

After some research: Reading allot of post on different forums, noticed a slight trend going on. First off no one really slammed a solid state power amp. It seemed that the guys using FRFR cabs of some sort were fairly content using either the solid state or the tube power amp. When it came to a real cab however, the scales tipped a little bit, they preferred the tube amp to some degree, with allot of guys it was the bass end they preferred over the solid state and a handful of guys it was the high-end.

OK my sh**: First off real pleasant surprise, when hooking up the MB50 did not have to redo the EQ’s on my patches. That’s basically telling me both the MB50 and the DCM200L are pretty much flat response (yeah they are supposed to be but still nothing is perfect, except it seems in this case), this is real nice for testing purposes and if I get stuck and have to use another power amp. The only thing I touched on the MB50 was a presence control, done! As for sound I have to agree with others I like the bass a bit better and the high end also. Funny thing, noticed the bass right away but not the high end, with the high end, it really depended on the patch being used. The things that stood out were clean amp models and chorus, flanger and phase effects. Could not tell you why but it seems all modulation effects just sounded a bit better.

So what do I think? Well yeah, so far I prefer the MB50 it does it for me. However the DCM200L STAYS!!
Both setups sound real good, the MB50 does sound a little rounder, especially with cleans. Ahhh hard to put to text. Let’s try this. It’s this type of difference: you have 75+ hours on the tubes of your amp, nothing wrong but just for the hell of it you put in a new set and amp now sounds just a bit more vicious, just a bit different.

What’s the skinny? You can’t go wrong with either, bottom line! But I do recommend the MB50, I have 15 days to return but decided in the first 2 min’s of playing that, “this is a keeper”.

No YouTube videos from me or I should say not yet. But not for my MB50 & DCM200L. Would like to get together at least two more power amps two, a VHT tube and also the SLA-2, others would be great also but at least a minimum of four.

Nice review!

Let’s try this. It’s this type of difference: you have 75+ hours on the tubes of your amp, nothing wrong but just for the hell of it you put in a new set and amp now sounds just a bit more vicious, just a bit different.

Don't you just hate it when those damn little electrons clog up the plates in your tubes... :lol:

Sixstring said:
Nice review! Don't you just hate it when those damn little electrons clog up the plates in your tubes... :lol:

Yes I do! And that’s where the solid state shines, at least to me. Consistency of tone over time. Tubes wear and replacements never sound identical.

Back
Top Bottom