Powered 1-12 # guitar speaker

I took a spare Matrix Q12a that I had and pulled out the FRFR Celestion that was in it and replaced it with a Scumback J12-65 and it is actually pretty great for a small speaker cabinet. It sounds much larger than it is. I have to be careful though because the onboard Matrix GM50 puts out 125 watts at 16 ohms. The Q12a is actually kind of unique because if you turn off the power amp, you can plug in an external power source like a small tube amp and bypass the GM50 to use it as an unpowered 1x12. When I use it with the GM50, I can also run another extension cab in parallel with it. It certainly has enough power.

You can get similar and cheaper results if you just bought a closed back speaker cabinet and cut a hole for a GM50 power amp and bolted it in place.

I took a spare Matrix Q12a that I had and pulled out the FRFR Celestion that was in it and replaced it with a Scumback J12-65 and it is actually pretty great for a small speaker cabinet. It sounds much larger than it is. I have to be careful though because the onboard Matrix GM50 puts out 125 watts at 16 ohms. The Q12a is actually kind of unique because if you turn off the power amp, you can plug in an external power source like a small tube amp and bypass the GM50 to use it as an unpowered 1x12. When I use it with the GM50, I can also run another extension cab in parallel with it. It certainly has enough power.

You can get similar and cheaper results if you just bought a closed back speaker cabinet and cut a hole for a GM50 power amp and bolted it in place.
Ok thanks
Yes
I was thinking about putting my rack matrix power amp in a 1-12 cab also. The gm50 is kind of expensive for what I was thinking of. I am thinking of making a crappy 1-12 or 1-10 cab for kind of silent gigs just as addition to the monitor sound. . Maybe there is a cheap 100w solid state combo on the market that I could make a line input in or something.

Last edited:
I use an Avatar Vintage 112 cab with a Matrix GM50 plate amp. Instead of cutting the back of the cab to install the amp I made a new back out of a piece of plywood that I had laying around. It works and sounds great. It added very little weight to the cab, I'm very happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom